I started wondering. Cause when you ask, the songs that you should know are those standard songs like Hey There Delilah, Tears in Heaven, etc etc. So every guitar player knows them.
But when you go into a guitar store and everyone knows these songs already, what do you play to impress with?
Last edited by MarliesM at Aug 1, 2010,
How about some Antoine Dufour?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNw9YaXemlM
My Gear:

Bass:
Peavey Grind NTB 6 (6 string)
Cort Action Bass (4 string)
Roland Cube 30 amp
Boss ODB3 Overdrive

Guitar:
Ibanez JS100
Peavey Vyper amp
Korg Toneworks AX3000G multieffects
Dunlop Cry Baby 535Q Wah
Big Muff
I once almost strangled some guy in the guitar store that tried to impress other people.

True story.
Quote by CoreysMonster
Why, my pasty danish cracker, I believe you've got it!
i usually play some john mayer, mostly the songs 'neon' 'belief' 'the heart of life' for acoustic and if i'm playing an electric i generally play 'vultures' 'cissy strut' and 'who did you think i was' but also just mess about on scales etc...
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
Maybe not to your tastes but try 'roses for the dead' by funeral for a friend. Just learn the intro, its all tapping, and it looks great, sounds great and is easy.
Quote by boreamor
Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
So...... you're one of those who spend hours in the store with no intention of buying but just to impress, but stopping those of us who are intending to trying stuff out?

Perhaps you'd be better joining a band and getting up on a stage?
My Gear

MIM Fender Strat

Vox AC4 TV
Marshall MG30DFX (now gone! )
Laney VC15 110 on the way!

EHX Small Clone
Marshall Gv'nor II+
Behringer DD100
MXR Dyna Comp
MXR Phase 90

Yamaha FG 411S
Impress them with your gold records! Or the money you made from your last tour.

I was in GC and some guy just sat at the petal display thingy. He play actually nothing. He just loudly hit the stings playing with all the different petals. One guy played a few power chords and palm muting. One guy was actually playing and sounded good.

To make a long story short, just playing that you know how to play is impressive enough.
Quote by WantsLesPaul
Show them how many times can you play Stairway to Heaven in a row.

the guitar store in aberdeen "RnB music" has stairway to heaven on there black list!!!!
Jamie Thomson
wait...you go into guitar stores to show off?

i could use some descriptive words to emulate my feelings towards you but id get banned.

hell, when i try out a guitar in front of other people, i can tplay for shit, and i dont try anything clever either.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Alright this got out totally wrong. NO, I definitely do not wanna show of in a guitar store. Its that I went to a guitar store this weekend and as usual there where some amazing guitar players in the store just randomly playing for themselves but I was so impressed by what they played. Its was wonderful!
Im just a simple home-playing guitar player, who got totally impressed by the playing in the guitar store and wants to know which songs where played.

Let me phrase it like this; which are the songs every guitar player should know, but doesnt?
Quote by MarliesM
Alright this got out totally wrong. NO, I definitely do not wanna show of in a guitar store. Its that I went to a guitar store this weekend and as usual there where some amazing guitar players in the store just randomly playing for themselves but I was so impressed by what they played. Its was wonderful!
Im just a simple home-playing guitar player, who got totally impressed by the playing in the guitar store and wants to know which songs where played.

Let me phrase it like this; which are the songs every guitar player should know, but doesnt?

Mood for a Day/ Clap etc by Steve Howe
Hotel California
Stop This Train - John Mayer
My Gear

MIM Fender Strat

Vox AC4 TV
Marshall MG30DFX (now gone! )
Laney VC15 110 on the way!

EHX Small Clone
Marshall Gv'nor II+
Behringer DD100
MXR Dyna Comp
MXR Phase 90

Yamaha FG 411S
Well usually I start off with a bit off Smells Like Teen Spirit, then a touch of Stairway, and if I'm feeling really good Smoke On The Water. Mindlessly running up and down the A minor pentatonic is always great, or just putting the guitar in Drop D and chugging away.
Quote by Kozlic
Music doesnt need to be quality to be good.

Press eject, give me the tape, if you know what's good for you
Quote by MarliesM
I started wondering. Cause when you ask, the songs that you should know are those standard songs like Hey There Delilah, Tears in Heaven, etc etc. So every guitar player knows them.
But when you go into a guitar store and everyone knows these songs already, what do you play to impress with?

I don't know how to play delilah. Know why? Cuz the song sucks and there's far better choices. Go to a guitar store to buy stuff, not to impress other people. Save that for live gigs and concerts, assuming you ever get to that point.
Quote by Forkman
Well usually I start off with a bit off Smells Like Teen Spirit, then a touch of Stairway, and if I'm feeling really good Smoke On The Water. Mindlessly running up and down the A minor pentatonic is always great, or just putting the guitar in Drop D and chugging away.

this made me lol.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Quote by LeftyDave
I don't know how to play delilah. Know why? Cuz the song sucks and there's far better choices. Go to a guitar store to buy stuff, not to impress other people. Save that for live gigs and concerts, assuming you ever get to that point.

*sigh* I assume you never got to this point:

Quote by MarliesM

Quote by MarliesM
*sigh* I assume you never got to this point:

"Let me phrase it like this; which are the songs every guitar player should know, but doesnt?"

See, it doesn't work like that for me either. What are songs every guitar player should know but doesn't? There's no such list. Why? Because everyone has their own individual tastes. What I like and enjoy playing is undoubtedly different than you. You're making it sound as though there's some prescribed list out there somewhere that everyone who plays guitar needs to know in order to play a guitar in a music store. Wrong. You do what you want to do, and I'll do what I want to do. Doesn't matter. If there's a particular song that you excel at playing over others, then by all means, play that one next time your in a store.
Any Andy Mckee song .

Seriously though, my auntie's boyfriend plays a lot of Andy Mckee and Newton Faulkner, and hes an amazing player compaired to me, and I'd love to be able to play like him. Bearing in mind though I am only 14, so any guitar playing is going to impress me .
If you want to impress, play things others may have never heard before as opposed to the same rehashed songs that everyone knows. In other words, take a list of common songs everyone knows and look the other way.
Taylor 710 97'
Taylor 414ce LTD-R Fall 09'
Epiphone Masterbilt AJ-500M
Custom strat

My photography
Quote by WantsLesPaul
Show them how many times can you play Stairway to Heaven in a row.

This.
Don't you know? Every guitar store has a record executive waiting to sign everyone that can play a really good cover.

Heh. I make me laugh.
Quote by pete-c
Who goes to guitar stores just to impress people? Nobody's judging you in there.

i disagree, i think people are even MORE judgemental into stores.
Quote by MarliesM

I'm with MarliesM. Quite a few times, I have walked into a guitar store and been blown away by some amazing riffs that I've never heard before. I don't know if these people are writing their own music or playing obscure pieces, but some of the melodies are incredible. You feel like walking up to them and asking "hey dude, can I get a tab for that?"...well not me, because I don't talk like that, but you get the idea.

Impress might have been the wrong word, but I know what Marlies talking about. Sometimes, I get a little annoyed listening to someone play songs that I've heard many times before, and its always more interesting to hear someone play something unique. In the interest of not annoying other shoppers, I wish I knew a few more obscure but amazing sounding melodies to play when testing out guitars.
One of the best compliments I've ever gotten was at a guitar store. I was fiddling around in the acoustic room, a man walked in, sat and listened to me for a bit, and on his way out said "thanks." Boy was I was beaming.

But since TS has already been given a scolding for wanting to show-off in a guitar store, I'll suggest that in a store you should play the same songs you play all the time. There is no reason to do any different.

If you're just looking for nice songs to play that are relatively simple but sound great, learn the entire "In the Aeroplane Over the Sea" album by Neutral Milk Hotel. That's about as real as acoustic music gets, in my book.
Last edited by GC Shred Off at Aug 4, 2010,
Quote by Dempsey68
i usually play some john mayer, mostly the songs 'neon' 'belief' 'the heart of life' for acoustic and if i'm playing an electric i generally play 'vultures' 'cissy strut' and 'who did you think i was' but also just mess about on scales etc...

Same here. However, I don't play those tunes to impress people. I play those tunes, because that's the style of music that I play, so by playing it on the guitar, I get a feel for if the guitar suits my style. Trust me, nothing is more annoying than someone who walks into a shop and tries to impress other people with their playing. It's annoying cause people go to shops to buy a guitar. Not to hear some guy playing "Eruption" with the volume knob turned to 11.
Conclusion: Don't try to impress people in a guitar shop or face my wrath
Quote by granite'n'bread
Mood for a Day/ Clap etc by Steve Howe
Hotel California
Stop This Train - John Mayer

haha man and to think id actually find some interesting songs in here..

PSN: reldask