I used to do grip art on skateboards with metallic sharpies and they turned out pretty nice. I'd like to apply it to guitars now. Could I use metallic sharpies? I know you could use finger nail polish, but could you just draw over the original finish or would I have to sand it down first?
I'd appreciate any help.
just curious, what kind of guitar is it?
Quote by rockybo
I'm making an igloo in my backyard later and smoking a bong in it.
Do this

Then clearcoat... Or it will keep rubbing off and you can make something new every time.
NOW PART OF THE

Quote by Robchappers
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
Quote by space aids
I used to do grip art on skateboards with metallic sharpies and they turned out pretty nice. I'd like to apply it to guitars now. Could I use metallic sharpies? I know you could use finger nail polish, but could you just draw over the original finish or would I have to sand it down first?
I'd appreciate any help.
You could, but if the finish had been waxed or has any oil on it, the results might not be as good. I'd get some wax and grease remover from an automotive paint store and wipe it down with that, first. Then decorate. Then clearcoat to protect your artwork
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by dm1925
just curious, what kind of guitar is it?

It's an Ibanez, one of those starter kit ones. So I can just use markers and clear coat? It has no oils or wax on it.
Quote by space aids
It's an Ibanez, one of those starter kit ones. So I can just use markers and clear coat? It has no oils or wax on it.
Don't count on it.

If it had ever been waxed, even years ago before you bought it, there will still be wax in the pores. There are oils on your hands. If you have handled the guitar, there will be oil in the pores. W&GR is cheap insurance against your clearcoat having fisheye.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.