Even though I already know a lot of indie bands, you can never know enough. So if someone wants to give me some more, some indie bands that I like include: Modest Mouse, Ugly Casanova, Built To Spill, The Halo Benders, Darker My Love, Mimicking Birds, The Pillows, Health, Warpaint, 764-HERO, ect.
I know a lot more but I'm not gonna list them all lol.

Also sorry if everyone is getting sick of my recommendation threads, but you can't ever listen to too many bands.
Last edited by Joshua1207 at Jul 31, 2010,
WARPAINT. **** yes.

Saying the Red Hot Chili Peppers have no talent is like saying Guy Fawkes didn't have an epic mustache.
I posted this recommendation somewhere else on here today because I just discovered these guys and I'm wigging out over them, so sorry if you've already seen this . They're so fricken WEIRD! They call their style "Stream indie" because it's totally improvised. According to legend they recorded this concept album in a single night on an ipod nano (Product placement?) on a camping trip. Give it a listen.

http://www.last.fm/music/My+Neighbor+The+Cannibal/Songs+From+The+Edge+Of+Nowhere

It may just be at once the best and worst thing i've ever heard.
Quote by BlackHandJack
I posted this recommendation somewhere else on here today because I just discovered these guys and I'm wigging out over them, so sorry if you've already seen this . They're so fricken WEIRD! They call their style "Stream indie" because it's totally improvised. According to legend they recorded this concept album in a single night on an ipod nano (Product placement?) on a camping trip. Give it a listen.

http://www.last.fm/music/My+Neighbor+The+Cannibal/Songs+From+The+Edge+Of+Nowhere

It may just be at once the best and worst thing i've ever heard.

That was horrible. I hope this was a joke.
That is so obviously BlackHandJack :p
Quote by Malakian88
Oh my bloody god. Imagine if you were a girl and you woke up to find your little brother's friend standing over you with his erect penis on your breasts...

Indeed.
you seem to like 90's northwest stuff here's some bands that have some simliarities.

I would say give these bands a listen: Red stars theory, cymbals eats guitars, american analog set, and you will know us by the trail of dead, black heart procession, pinback, beat happening, calvin johnson, califone, cat power, drive like jehu, fugazi, joan of arc, man man, tom waits, pavement, pixies, red house painters, sparklehorse, and maybe wolf parade.
Quote by Monkeygone2hvn
you seem to like 90's northwest stuff here's some bands that have some simliarities.

I would say give these bands a listen: Red stars theory, cymbals eats guitars, american analog set, and you will know us by the trail of dead, black heart procession, pinback, beat happening, calvin johnson, califone, cat power, drive like jehu, fugazi, joan of arc, man man, tom waits, pavement, pixies, red house painters, sparklehorse, and maybe wolf parade.

I've heard of a majority of those, but thanks.
Quote by Monkeygone2hvn

Wait wait wait... back it up.

Tow Waits is indie now? Christ, you kids are ridiculous.
Quote by emoboy027
Is fingering an emo chick that likes yoy and that has fallen in love with you is it wrong to you to finger her during lunch outside in front of everyone at the high school? would you not care or lol even wish it was you?

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
It's a thread for indie recommendations, he rec'd Tom Waits. Seems pretty black and white, no?
Quote by emoboy027
Is fingering an emo chick that likes yoy and that has fallen in love with you is it wrong to you to finger her during lunch outside in front of everyone at the high school? would you not care or lol even wish it was you?

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
I could have also mentioned The Pixies, and Drive Like Jehu, but the Tom Waits one was the most ridiculous.
Quote by emoboy027

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
Quote by Joshua1207
Are you trying to tell me The Pixies aren't indie? You sir need to learn music

You must be a troll...
Quote by emoboy027

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
So... before the label "indie" existed, what were they called? It's not like they just went without a genre tag until someone coined "indie."
Quote by emoboy027

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
You're silly.

But yes, they'd be alt rock.
Quote by emoboy027

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
just because artists don't necessarily fit into what ever modern conception you have of "indie" music does not mean that they would not be a good recommendation or be massively influential on the said "indie" music that he supposedly likes. ( ie: tom waits influence on modest mouse and numerous other "indie" bands).

as for fugazi if they're not indie.... then do you not count sonic youth, dinosaur jr, minutemen, the replacements, husker du, etc...

i just wanted to try and recommend him some music that seemed to make sense for him to check out, get off my case
Quote by Monkeygone2hvn

I would say give these bands a listen: cymbals eats guitars, american analog set, black heart procession, pinback, cat power, drive like jehu, joan of arc, man man, red house painters, sparklehorse

I edited out the bands that I've already heard of. So far I've checked out Cymbals Eats Guitars, American Analog Set, and Black Heart Procession. CEG was alright. AmAnSet was amazing though, and BHP is pretty sweet too (although a little weird). You sir, have a fantastic taste in music as far as I can tell so far.
Quote by Monkeygone2hvn
just because artists don't necessarily fit into what ever modern conception you have of "indie" music does not mean that they would not be a good recommendation or be massively influential on the said "indie" music that he supposedly likes. ( ie: tom waits influence on modest mouse and numerous other "indie" bands).

as for fugazi if they're not indie.... then do you not count sonic youth, dinosaur jr, minutemen, the replacements, husker du, etc...

i just wanted to try and recommend him some music that seemed to make sense for him to check out, get off my case

Fugazi is a punk band, not indie. Hell I love Fugazi, but lets be serious now.
Quote by Monkeygone2hvn
thanks man, I've got plenty more where that came from

I'll tell you once I'm finished checking out all of those bands, and if I'm still wanting more I'll ask
guided by voices are damn good.

maybe start with bee thousand or alien lanes.
She Had An Abortion That She Made Me Pay For
Quote by Monkeygone2hvn

Oh my god... there's so much wrong with this sentence I don't know where to begin.

But thanks for making my day a little brighter.
Quote by emoboy027

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
were they not on independent record labels into the early 90s? does Fugazi not exemplify the DIY/independent spirit? has Tom Waits not been releasing music on ANTI- since '99? by the strictest sense of the word, they are indie artists, though stylistically things may not exactly line up.

the whole development of what is now know as "indie" music largely has its roots in the college rock movement of the 1980s, though that branches back further into punk and then even further into garage rock.

so, please don't come into this subforum acting all high and mighty trying to bring other people down.

and i hope that i'm not alone in this, but i'm getting a bit sick of so many recommendation threads popping up. i'm sure that largely has to do with it being the summer months and people needing a way to kill time, but would it be a bad idea to make an "Only Recommendation" type of thread?
Quote by uhh_me?
. . . but would it be a bad idea to make an "Only Recommendation" type of thread?

Not a bad idea as long as it has some rules.
Imagination is more important than knowledge...
It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education.
- Albert Einstein -
Quote by uhh_me?
were they not on independent record labels into the early 90s? does Fugazi not exemplify the DIY/independent spirit? has Tom Waits not been releasing music on ANTI- since '99? by the strictest sense of the word, they are indie artists, though stylistically things may not exactly line up.

the whole development of what is now know as "indie" music largely has its roots in the college rock movement of the 1980s, though that branches back further into punk and then even further into garage rock.

so, please don't come into this subforum acting all high and mighty trying to bring other people down.

I was only speaking of the genre and style. A punk band that puts out their own albums is not "indie". A death metal band who records an album with a tape recorder in their basement is not "indie". Husker Du isn't "indie" because they recorded and mixed an album in 8 hours.

In the technical sense of the term, yes, they can be considered independant, but so can 99% of other bands out there; it would be absurd to call every band who relases an album DIY "indie" unless its only meaning was independant and not belonging to a label. We all know that's not was meant by the original post, or by most people in general though. I know the roots of indie, I listen to a lot of it, but when you start using the term to label something based on style, you'd better make sure that the bands in that umbrella are actually related stylistically.
Quote by emoboy027

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
Quote by soccermom
That is so obviously BlackHandJack :p

lol, if that was me I might have to kill myself. Who knows what other things I might be doing in my sleep that I don't remember!

Some actual recommendations:

Murder by Death: This really is an awesome band. "Who Will Survive And What Will be Left Of Them" is an amazing album, check it out.

Marcy Playground is also wonderful. Their self-titled album is the best.
Quote by nashawa
I was only speaking of the genre and style. A punk band that puts out their own albums is not "indie". A death metal band who records an album with a tape recorder in their basement is not "indie". Husker Du isn't "indie" because they recorded and mixed an album in 8 hours.

In the technical sense of the term, yes, they can be considered independant, but so can 99% of other bands out there; it would be absurd to call every band who relases an album DIY "indie" unless its only meaning was independant and not belonging to a label. We all know that's not was meant by the original post, or by most people in general though. I know the roots of indie, I listen to a lot of it, but when you start using the term to label something based on style, you'd better make sure that the bands in that umbrella are actually related stylistically.

indie is not a style but a creative freedom that an artist has concerning their record label and musical approach. the reason a death metal band is not indie is because the genre is set on that specific sound that doesnt really change. most "indie bands" that claim the "indie sound" usually find their sound from another indie band. technically any band in any genre can be indie as long as they are not so influenced by whats mainstream in their specific genre. for example, underground hiphop can be labeled as indie.

again, indie is not a style or genre. it is an approach.
Quote by qwaj
indie is not a style but a creative freedom that an artist has concerning their record label and musical approach. the reason a death metal band is not indie is because the genre is set on that specific sound that doesnt really change. most "indie bands" that claim the "indie sound" usually find their sound from another indie band. technically any band in any genre can be indie as long as they are not so influenced by whats mainstream in their specific genre. for example, underground hiphop can be labeled as indie.

again, indie is not a style or genre. it is an approach.

So you're saying black metal bands don't have creative freedom? And I'm pretty sure a lot of them approach their music making process disregarding the mainstream in their genre.
Quote by emoboy027

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!