Hey UG,

It's been a long time since I've been here, and a lot has changed. I need a new amp, yet again. But this time I thought I'd run it up with you guys and see what you had to suggest

So, I've been looking around and I really have my heart set on a Soldano SLO 100 (Lead channel) but the cleans don't cut it for me and not only that, but it's four grand for just the head

Needless to say, I need a amp that has a similar lead voicing, and a really good clean channel. I play everything from Jazz, Blues, all sorts of Rock, Shred, Fusion, Classical, Flamenco, Metal, Country, you name it a lot of styles, haha. I need something versatile.

I currently have a Mesa Roadster head, but I hate the distortion channels, they're way to buzzy/fizzy and it doesn't sing for leads.

I want something that doesn't have fuzzy/buzzy/fizzy note definition when playing leads. But at the same time I want something that packs a punch to your chest when playing rhythm that just sounds massive and fills up a room. I like the midrange growl that the Mesa Mark series have, but only if it didn't have that flubby low end to them that is needed to pack that punch I was talking about.

Overall I need this:
Lead Channel:
No flubby low end
Mid range growl
Packs a punch
Singy for leads
No fizzy/buzzy/fuzzy note definition

Clean Channel:
Chimes
Not to round sounding, just something warm
Can play funk with
Not overly poppy
Doesn't break up at high volumes, needs to stay clean if needed (most likely)

Basically what I want haha. I know it's a lot to ask, but I'm trying to be as specific as possible to let you guys know what I want for you to give me a good suggestion. I really am thankful for any replies towards this

Also, I can't get a Diezel they're a little to much money after shipping (I live in Canada). I was thinking maybe Axe-FX but they're like 2600 after shipping taxes and what not, that's pretty expensive, let alone I'd have to get a power amp, midi board for presets and power conditioner

I was thinking maybe Splawn, Egnater, Engl, a other Mesa or something.

I don't mind if it's a Rack system, or head.

Anyways, let me know your suggestions

Thanks!
JP

Also a list of amps I've owned before:
Peavey Supreme head
Mesa Boogie Mark III fully loaded blue stripe long head
Mesa Boogie Mark IV B version
Mesa Roadster

Next:????
Gear:

Fractal Axe FX
VHT 2/50/2
Orange 4x12
Voodoo Lab Ground Control Pro

Ibanez RGA 121 w/ Crunchlab and Liquifire
Music Man John Petrucci Mystic Dream
ERG Custom Guitar
Last edited by tenaciousjp at Jul 31, 2010,
From what I've read the Bugera 6262 is an EXTREMELY versatile amp. I plan on getting one once I scrounge up the cash after I get the Agile.
Quote by Darkflame
marshall jvm410h? I don't like them myself, but a lot of people do, I heard Joe Satriani played them now

Yeah I tried it, The lead channel sounded so artificial I didn't really care for it.
Gear:

Fractal Axe FX
VHT 2/50/2
Orange 4x12

ERG Custom Guitar
Quote by Somekid94
From what I've read the Bugera 6262 is an EXTREMELY versatile amp. I plan on getting one once I scrounge up the cash after I get the Agile.

I need something more reliable unfortunately :S
Gear:

Fractal Axe FX
VHT 2/50/2
Orange 4x12

ERG Custom Guitar
Quote by tenaciousjp
I need something more reliable unfortunately :S

I thought they had all the reliability bugs worked out..?
What about a MESA Mark V
Guitars
Prs Custom 24
Fender Jaguar
Gibson Les paul standard dc
Ibanez as71

Amps
Peavey xxx
Crate v-32h/cab

Effects
Dimebag wah
carbon copy
evh phase
blackstart ht-duel
holy grail plus
electric mistress stereo
dd-20
You should defiantly check out the Diezel Einstein it fits your requirements nicely.

Its also a good deal cheaper than a VH4 or Herbert.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
Last edited by halikus at Jul 31, 2010,
If you're getting flabby bass out of a Mark you're doing it very, very wrong. As far as things to look at, why not get a used Soldano Avenger for ~$900-$1000, a 2X12 cab from someone like Avatar for ~$300 and an old SF Twin or Super for ~$500-$800? It'd do everything quite nicely. And a used Soldano SLO is like $2000 and the cleans aren't as bad as most make them out to be.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by mmolteratx
If you're getting flabby bass out of a Mark you're doing it very, very wrong. As far as things to look at, why not get a used Soldano Avenger for ~$900-$1000, a 2X12 cab from someone like Avatar for ~$300 and an old SF Twin or Super for ~$500-$800? It'd do everything quite nicely. And a used Soldano SLO is like $2000 and the cleans aren't as bad as most make them out to be.

The Mark series is known for it's flubby bass. That's why you dial down the Bass on the EQ knobs and add it back in on the on board EQ sliders. But you can only go so far with that before that turns to mud or lacking balls.

As for the Avenger and another amp for cleans. I'd much rather find a amp with both a good lead channel and good clean channel. I know it's a lot to ask for, but I think they're maybe a amp out there for me that can do both.

Where did you find a SLO for two grand? Cause I found a SLO on my craigslist for 3200. Why would someone sell there SLO for two grand when they pay four grand with Life time transferable warranty? That's how the SLO's retain there re-sale value so I don't know where you saw one for 2k, but please let me know. Also I don't feel like buying off the internet. Though if its local like Craigs, sure why not?
Gear:

Fractal Axe FX
VHT 2/50/2
Orange 4x12

ERG Custom Guitar
Quote by halikus
You should defiantly check out the Diezel Einstein it fits your requirements nicely.

Its also a good deal cheaper than a VH4 or Herbert.

How much is the Einstein?
Gear:

Fractal Axe FX
VHT 2/50/2
Orange 4x12

ERG Custom Guitar
i just bought a slo for 2grand from guitar center.

also look at a ktre or a sig x or a rockerverb100
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
Last edited by AcousticMirror at Jul 31, 2010,
Quote by AcousticMirror
i just bought a slo for 2grand from guitar center.

?!?!?!

Really?!?!?

Christ, that's nuts! Though I live in Canada so like there's no Guitar Centers. We have Long and Mcquades and shiz that make us pay list price for our gear. But damn! 2k for a SLO?!?!

I gotta go to the states and get me one.

It was used i suppose huh?

EDIT:

You got the splawn too, how does it compare to the SLO?

Any fizz or flubby low end?

And which has better cleans?
Gear:

Fractal Axe FX
VHT 2/50/2
Orange 4x12

ERG Custom Guitar
Quote by tenaciousjp
The Mark series is known for it's flubby bass. That's why you dial down the Bass on the EQ knobs and add it back in on the on board EQ sliders. But you can only go so far with that before that turns to mud or lacking balls.

As for the Avenger and another amp for cleans. I'd much rather find a amp with both a good lead channel and good clean channel. I know it's a lot to ask for, but I think they're maybe a amp out there for me that can do both.

Where did you find a SLO for two grand? Cause I found a SLO on my craigslist for 3200. Why would someone sell there SLO for two grand when they pay four grand with Life time transferable warranty? That's how the SLO's retain there re-sale value so I don't know where you saw one for 2k, but please let me know. Also I don't feel like buying off the internet. Though if its local like Craigs, sure why not?

It tightens up considerably if you know how to use the Pre and Post EQ effectively. There's really no amp out there that will get you the Soldano tone and great cleans. AcousticMirror was quite fond of a Rivera K Tre before he got his Soldano that might suit you but it's voiced differently. And they're always priced higher on CL. They go for $2200-$2400 on Rig-Talk pretty frequently. AcousticMirror got his for $1700 or something before shipping.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
ya their like 2000-2400 usually on the forums and at guitarcenter. they have a few up for like 2500 right now.

I would rec a Mark IV but looks like your already investigating that.

I picked up a Carvin Legacy a while back for the pristine lead tone but unfortunately it doesn't have a rhythm channel. I know they added a 3rd channel on the legacy II, but I think it just has one tone control. I'm not sure If it's a boost off channel 1 +tone, drive or a separate channel. Could be worth checking out, the lead tone is exactly what you described.
Quote by mmolteratx
As far as things to look at, why not get a used Soldano Avenger for ~$900-$1000, a 2X12 cab from someone like Avatar for ~$300 and an old SF Twin or Super for ~$500-$800? It'd do everything quite nicely.

+1
Not as versatile but what about an Orange Thunderverb?
Quote by somemaycallmeti
+1
Not as versatile but what about an Orange Thunderverb?

Tried like every Orange on the market, they all sound fizzy

Though there cabs are amazing. I'm going to pick up one, one day
Gear:

Fractal Axe FX
VHT 2/50/2
Orange 4x12

ERG Custom Guitar
Any other Suggestions?
Gear:

Fractal Axe FX
VHT 2/50/2
Orange 4x12

ERG Custom Guitar
What about the Soldano Decatone? It's got three channels.

Would also recommend the ENGL Savage or SE.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
What about a different Soldano? Hot Rod 50+ maybe?

Or maybe you would be better off with an A/B set up; one amp for cleans and one for rythm/lead?
I have a huge fear if rays.
decatone or lucky 13 if you really want to go down the soldano route. But if you need blackface level cleans in an amp....it's hard to do on a multi-channel hi-gain amp.
it really depends on how much gain you need.

Quote by AcousticMirror
decatone or lucky 13 if you really want to go down the soldano route. But if you need blackface level cleans in an amp....it's hard to do on a multi-channel hi-gain amp.
it really depends on how much gain you need.

Well I like my lead channels to be really tight. So I keep my gain pretty low. Just enough to keep chords defined and have growl/bite
Gear:

Fractal Axe FX
VHT 2/50/2
Orange 4x12

ERG Custom Guitar
I'm not fixed just Soldano.

I want something reliable really that suits my needs
Gear:

Fractal Axe FX
VHT 2/50/2
Orange 4x12

ERG Custom Guitar
Maybe a Randall RM100 with Salvation modules? Sounds to me that it could do precisely what you want.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
i think the amp that you really want is just a bit out of your price range. For what you've talked about a CAA od100 or a pt100 would be perfect. A Rivera Ktre for the budget option.

Splawn is probs ur best bet, the only Mesa;s left that u've not had are recto's and thats not what you want. ENGL SE is a good bet, but here in the UK they're like £3000 new so u'd have to deffo look used, it is a VERY nice amp tho,
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
Go for a Bogner XTC or a Carvin Legacy. Amazing singing lead tone, and great clean channels. The Bogner is a bit clearer and tighter while the Legacy is a bit warmer and smoother. Clean channel on the Legacy is a hair better imo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzSnYtLcFvI&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckcj4Kp0WzI&feature=related
Quote by blackflag49
Condoms, for all the copious amounts of pussy with which you will be inevitably bombarded from this moment onward.