Hey,

What is the procedure to get your guitar tuned super low, as low as Drop A? Not a seven string guitar, just a standard six string. (I have a Epiphone Les Paul Standard) I have heavy strings on it but they buzz at Drop C. I've heard you have to modify your guitar to get it that low if it's not made for it like a seven string, so what do I need to do?

Please no debates on whether bands that play in Drop A have any talent, etc etc. Just answer my question. Google surprisingly failed me on finding any good instructions.
you buy a baritone.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
^^this. There is no way you can play a 24,75" scale guitar tunened in Drop A
Guthrie Govan = Guitar Genius
You've not really got a guitar designed for low tuning there, with an LP. You've been lucky to get it to Drop C really.
I have two Jackson's in B standard, and I bought a pack of DR seven strings, 10-58. I replaced the 58 with a 60 from a different pack, but I could still go heavier. I got a pack of 11-70 six strings from some other brand, and I like the 70 on the low end but the other strings are too loose. The best thing you can do it probably to buy single strings, there are plenty of websites that do it. But you should be fine with a 70gua on the low end, the rest are up to your discretion. Try them, and mess around, they're just strings.

Also, buy a baritone.
I'd suggest two things.

1. Get active pickups. Most passives can't hold up at drop C, not to mention A. EMG 81 and Seymor Duncan Blackouts would both be good (and fairly cheap) choices. I think they're both around 100 USD.

2. Get your guitar PROFESSIONALLY set up to play in this tuning. I don't think there's any debate, drop A is really low. And most six string standard guitars are set up to play in E standard. Also if it's within your budget, just get a guitar built to play that low. Schecter, LTD/ESP, Ibenez, and B.C. Rich in my experiance hold low tunings the best. Also make sure the guitar has a 25.5 inch scale length or longer, it's a must for low tunings.

Hope this helps!
You can't get there without heavy strings. The longer your scale length, the lighter your strings can be and still get to the same tuning.

Unfortunately, you have the smallest scale length in common production, so I doubt you'll be able to get there unless you use 13's or so.

I have a 25.5" scale and I go to drop A# with 11's, so I'm assuming that with your lower tuning and shorter scale length, you'll need 13's. 12's might work though.

An option to consider is Dunlop strings, because they make the Heavy Cores, which have the tension of a larger set but the size of a smaller one.

Other than that... If you're looking to go that low, you really should have at least a standard scale guitar, if not a baritone.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Thank you for all the replies!
Looks like a new guitar is my only option I suppose...
Does anyone have any suggestions off of the site guitarcenter.com for the cheapest actually usable either baritone guitar or 7-string that I would be able to get to Drop A? I don't mean absolute cheapest, I mean cheapest that isn't a toy.
^ +1

The RGD's are pretty sweet on all accounts. They're releasing a fixed bridge version soon too, if you're into that.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Gee, I don't know about you, but if I tune below Drop C, my strings become like "spaghetti" and basically unplayable. Drop A is impossible to achieve.

ron666
Quote by ron666
Gee, I don't know about you, but if I tune below Drop C, my strings become like "spaghetti" and basically unplayable. Drop A is impossible to achieve.

ron666

You are wrong it is really possible to achieve drop a which i have done myself what you need to do is get really thick strings
i use

70-48-38-26 Wound-17-13
The bending will take some time to get used to though but the chords will be very clear trust me it'll feel like drop d with 10s
Obviously the lower the tuning, the thicker strings you will need to achieve clarity with the low tuning
Last edited by SilverRock113 at Jul 31, 2010,
ya but it will sound better with a longer scale guitar. There's a reason a standard scale guitar is tuned to E. The pickups sit under specific harmonic nodes that sound the best in E. Tuning down too much screws that all up. 13-70 is a good set though if you going down. I usually use that set for C# or D standard.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
I know A Day To Remember uses some ESP eclipses for their 2 songs that are in Drop A#, so it's not completely impossible.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Quote by ViPeR3319
Thank you for all the replies!
Looks like a new guitar is my only option I suppose...
Does anyone have any suggestions off of the site guitarcenter.com for the cheapest actually usable either baritone guitar or 7-string that I would be able to get to Drop A? I don't mean absolute cheapest, I mean cheapest that isn't a toy.

I would suggest looking at Ibanez 7 strings or the PRS SE Mushok baritone, nothing with a scale length of less than 27". The Schecter baritones are really made for B, going all the way down to drop-A would probably require you to go up to medium-weight baritone strings and have the nut filed out to do it. If you really like the Schecters I guess that’s not a big deal, but otherwise you might as well just get a longer scale in the first place.

An of course, on a tighter budget, Agile sells some 28" baris and 7-strings.
Quote by jpnyc
I would suggest looking at Ibanez 7 strings or the PRS SE Mushok baritone, nothing with a scale length of less than 27". The Schecter baritones are really made for B, going all the way down to drop-A would probably require you to go up to medium-weight baritone strings and have the nut filed out to do it. If you really like the Schecters I guess that’s not a big deal, but otherwise you might as well just get a longer scale in the first place.

An of course, on a tighter budget, Agile sells some 28" baris and 7-strings.

umm... what? if it's in B standard, you're tuning one string down a step to A. you're speaking like it's such an epic change to go from B to A. no adjustments are necessary.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Quote by randomhero93
umm... what? if it's in B standard, you're tuning one string down a step to A. you're speaking like it's such an epic change to go from B to A. no adjustments are necessary.

Sorry, you’re right. I thought drop A was A D# B C# F D#.