Page 1 of 2
So, Im starting a minor in Toronto starting in September. I'm flying in to Chicago on Aug 9, and I'll be staying with a friend of mine in Madison, WI until Aug 18. This means that I have approx 10 days that I have to spare. I was thinking about getting an Amtrak pass and check like two or three places.

My question is, does anyone have any recommendations? Obviously not too expensive, since I'm a student and all.

thnx
Some of my gear:
Epi Les Paul Custom
Fender American Special Tele
Gibson ES-339
London City Strat copy
Other Strat copy
Taylor Big Baby (acoustic)
Ibanez SGT 130 (acoustic)

Trace 2x 12" guitar amp
Dime Distortion
Try not to take anyone's jerb.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
Ask mexicans for their papers.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
If you're in Chicago you should hit up the Museum of Science and Industry and the Field Museum. There's some pretty cool stuff at both of those places, they're relatively close to each other and Im pretty sure there's some other museums in the area and pretty nice art gallery (never been to those though.) Either way, do some online research before going so you know what you're doing and you don't waste your time.
I pride myself on my humility.
i haven't been to that part of the country yet, but from looking at a map i'd say chicago's the most interesting city in proximity.

although i hear minneapolis isn't too bad either.
Go Veg.
In Chicago, go to HOT DOUG'S.

They do their fries in duck fat. And they're hot dogs will make you weep and wonder who you have to marry to stay here.
If you do end up going to Minneapolis, definitely check out a Twins game at the new stadium. If you are not into baseball you can head over to Mall of America or wander around Lake Calhoun or Harriet Island, both are absolutely beautiful.

I just got back from Chicago a few weeks ago. Eat. For the love of God, eat. Rick Bayless' restaurants there are incredible (Frontera, Topolobampo, and Xoco), Lou Malnati's, Hot Doug's, etc.
Quote by jimmy hendrix 2
Don't argue with my new deity.
When your in Chicago, be sure to check out the following

Shed Aquarium
Chicago Symphony Orchestra
Boys Town (the gay neighborhood, but it has GREAT shopping. Take the brown line to diversy and fullerton and then your just a couple blocks from Halstead and Bellemont. Boom)
Union Station. Lotsa movies filmed here
Berghoffs
The lake front
Grant Park
Museum of Science and Industry (WAY cooler than field museum)
Elboe room
The Metropolitan
Last edited by tubatom868686 at Jul 31, 2010,
Not much to do out that way, to be honest. Check put the great lakes, go to Chicago and check out Minneapolis. Chill and eat some cheddar cheese.
DON'T HIRE RON WILSON
Wisconsin has nothing except for breweries.
What are you dense?
Are you retarded or something?
Who the hell do you think I am?
I'm the goddamn Batman.

April 19th, 2011: The Night of the Boob

Last edited by RampagingAcorn at Jul 31, 2010,
I'd say Chicago is your best bet. All the above Chicago doings are cool.

Quote by TEK34
Lose 50 IQ points and you'll fit in fine.

Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by Will Swanson
I was going to name the suburb, but I forgot it. I knew it started with a G, though.

Its cool dude

No hard feelings, I Was just tryin to help out TS
Quote by TEK34
Lose 50 IQ points the 'tude and you'll fit in fine.
*fixed*

Wisconsin dells isn't much of a trip from Madison. Worth going, imho.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
CEDAR F***ING POINT.

only good answer.
Super
Old
Cats
Are
Surprising

Many profile views... few friends...
Quote by cornmancer
Fly to either New Haven, Connecticut and eat at Frank Pepe's or Kansas City, Missouri and eat at Grinder's at least once during your visit. **** expenses, this is important shit.

i'm gonna be passing through KC in a few weeks. i'll keep this place in mind.
Go Veg.
Quote by StratoCatser
CEDAR F***ING POINT.

only good answer.

This, but it's a little further away. Also, King's Dominion in Cincinnati.
Go hang out with Wilco.
"The rule of law -- it must be held high! And if it falls you pick it up and hold it even higher!" - Hercule Poirot

© Soul Power
ok thanks, I guess Ill be spending most of my time in Chicago then. I also got an invite to Denver, but I gotta see if that'll pay off distance-wise. And otherwise, I am taking my new tele with me, so I wont be bored anyhow.
Some of my gear:
Epi Les Paul Custom
Fender American Special Tele
Gibson ES-339
London City Strat copy
Other Strat copy
Taylor Big Baby (acoustic)
Ibanez SGT 130 (acoustic)

Trace 2x 12" guitar amp
Dime Distortion
Quote by Soul Power
Go hang out with Wilco.

Funny story. One time, ticketmaster was like "WILCO LIVE!" at the gene siskel film center. I had never been there before, but I was like, WILCO, **** YEA! So I get there, and its a movie theater, and Im like, "Okay, whatever, movie theaters are big. Maybe there playing in one of the theaters." So I go in, and what is it? A ****ING MOVIE ABOUT WILCO

**** you ticketmaster
Quote by TEK34
Lose 50 IQ points and you'll fit in fine.

Cool generalization, bro.
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
Quote by MXFNCK
ok thanks, I guess Ill be spending most of my time in Chicago then. I also got an invite to Denver, but I gotta see if that'll pay off distance-wise. And otherwise, I am taking my new tele with me, so I wont be bored anyhow.

About 1000 miles.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
I thought Chicago was pretty nice when I was there.

I wanted to make some anti-American joke about how many people suggested food as things to do in the U.S., until I remembered the restaurant I ate at in Chicago was probably the best meal I've ever had in my life
Quote by Soul Power
Go hang out with Wilco.

This

I think they're playing a show in South Bend in the next week or so, too. Right near Chicago, so you can check that shiz out.
go see a cubs game. wrigley field is kind of a chicago icon and the second oldest ballpark in baseball.

also try a chicago style hot dog. just dont ask for ketchup on them, apparently that makes them angry:

Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
-Modest Mouse, "Novocaine Stain"
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
I thought Chicago was pretty nice when I was there.

I wanted to make some anti-American joke about how many people suggested food as things to do in the U.S., until I remembered the restaurant I ate at in Chicago was probably the best meal I've ever had in my life

I made an anti-American joke. I think if they had the extra 50 IQ points they'd have realised it was a joke anyway.
Indianapolis is only about a one-and-a-half to two hour drive from Chicago and has some pretty awesome stuff. There's the Eiteljourg Museum of American Indians, the Indiana State Museum, the Indianapolis Motor Speedway (more commonly and lovingly known as the Brickyard), Circle Center Mall and lots of other cool stuff.
I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy
Quote by The_Blode
^ I'm sorry your highness I forgot that I'm subhuman. . .

Quote by ErikLensherr
Normani
Normani
Normies
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
I will sincerely apologize for the complete lack of intelligence you may experience. If you want a true "American Experience" Just people watch. I'd recommend going to the nearest walmart and just watch people. And take pictures.

http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/?page_id=9798

Thats not even exaggerating.
Wisconsin aint a bad place to live, but its not to terribly exciting to visit. Other than what has already been suggested I would say door county if your into camping and weather happens to be nice. I like minneapolis/st paul myself, but its a ways from chicago, and there isn't a whole lot in the twin cities that you can't get in chicago. More exciting activities would be getting drunk and eating cheese. Personally I don't drink beer, but from what I understand, new glaurus's spotted cow is considered a decent brew.
Yeah, I'm American, and I already know you'll be disappointed by the people you see. Not everyone, but after living in Japan for two years, I noticed that a lot of Americans are really nothing more than selfish jerks. I'm sorry for speaking badly of my country, because I do love the U.S., but it's true.

Anyways, never been to any of the places you're going.
Quote by TEK34
I made an anti-American joke. I think if they had the extra 50 IQ points they'd have realised it was a joke anyway.

I think you need them more than we do.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Page 1 of 2