Page 1 of 2
Obvious enough from the title. In your opinion what makes an individual a good person? Empathy, Charity, rationality, egoism, intelligence, interest in others, self interest? Interested to see what people think of this.

And conversely if you're feeling extra discursive what makes a bad person?

This could probably fit in the philosophy half of the R&P thread but since most people won't be approaching this from a philosophical basis I think it might fit the rest of the put a bit better.
Quote by Nosferatu Man

T-shirts are a sign of degeneration and decline.
To be a good person, it takes the understanding that in your natural state you're a wanker.

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Jellyfish are 97% water or something, so how much are they doing? Just give them another 3% and make them water. It's more useful."
The only good Injun's a dead Injun.

Empathy I suppose it what does it for me.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by leeb rocks
most people won't be approaching this from a philosophical basis.

That was a good guess
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
I don't know.

I would use the word "good" to describe someone who can show kindness and empathy, and who doesn't physically or emotionally hurt others without reason or justification.

there really isn't a defined set of qualities that could be used to label someone "good" or "bad". it's too subjective, but I guess that's the point of asking opinions.
I wanted to type "if they love Jesus!", but then I thought trolling this thread probably made me a bad person.

Well, a good person is a moral person, right-o? If so, a good person is one that acts according to a moral code. Now, the problem is that people have different moral codes, so a person I might consider the most moral might be immoral according to someone else.

Yeah, ultimately I'd have to say the morally best person is one that follows my personal moral code. It's a narcissistic conclusion, but it's the only one I reach.

EDIT: I realise I'll get curb-stomped for this post.
Quote by Don_Humpador
What is... good?

Is there an echo in here? I made it clear I was asking for your subjective definition.
Quote by Nosferatu Man

Wasnt there a thread like this?
Quote by tattyreagh
He's the hero The Pit deserves but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. GbAdimDb5m7.

Free Jani92jani

Free Will Swanson
Honesty is at the top of my list. I don't mind someone being a selfish conceited prick if they're honest about. But if they stab you in the back, that's not good.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
a matter of opinion
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
If they do more good acts, than bad acts. People who look to act positively. I'm trying the karmic rebalance right now, it's ****ing killing me.
Quote by --ESTRANGED--
a good person is someone who isnt bad.
a bad person is someone who isnt good.

duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude

thats deep man
Quote by vagelier
Nothing is more arousing for girls than a man who claims that he doesn't have worms - and can prove it with conclusive evidence.

Black
Then
White are
All I see
In my infancy
Red and yellow then came to be
Reaching out to me.
Lets me see.
To me inherently 'good' people have the ability to empathise with everyone regardless of race sex or beliefs. *shrugs*
I am me. Live with it.
Last edited by DeAd-RiP at Jul 31, 2010,
According to Plato and Aristotle a good person is someone who possesses the four cardinal virtues - courage, justice, temperance and intelligence (practical wisdom). They also said it it was not possible to possess just one of these virtues as they are all interconnected.
My Gear:

Bass:
Peavey Grind NTB 6 (6 string)
Cort Action Bass (4 string)
Roland Cube 30 amp
Boss ODB3 Overdrive

Guitar:
Ibanez JS100
Peavey Vyper amp
Korg Toneworks AX3000G multieffects
Dunlop Cry Baby 535Q Wah
Big Muff
For me, a good person is someone who tries behave in a way that they consider to be good. Even if I classify their actions as wrong.

Because most people meet this requirement, I see just about everyone as good.
XIAOXI
Last edited by Abunai X at Jul 31, 2010,
Quote by TheQuailman
I wanted to type "if they love Jesus!", but then I thought trolling this thread probably made me a bad person.

Well, a good person is a moral person, right-o? If so, a good person is one that acts according to a moral code. Now, the problem is that people have different moral codes, so a person I might consider the most moral might be immoral according to someone else.

Yeah, ultimately I'd have to say the morally best person is one that follows my personal moral code. It's a narcissistic conclusion, but it's the only one I reach.

EDIT: I realise I'll get curb-stomped for this post.

spot on
There is no such thing as a good person or a bad person. Everything is completely subjective.
kill all humans
i think a lot of people consider selflessness and empathy "good" qualities. at least i think they are.
Guitars:
Martin DSR acoustic
Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Les Paul
Amp:
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Pedals:
535Q Crybaby>Fulltone OCD>Phase 90>EHX Big Muff>MXR Carbon Copy>EHX Holy Grail
You can call me Matt
Quote by Nyhm
atheist <3

That has absolutely nothing to do with what is being asked, you can have a definition of what is good and bad in a person without believing in god,

But on topic, to me a good person is someone who has their own set of moral values and abides by them no matter what, even though their moral values may differ from everybody else, at least they have set forth boundaries for themselves and will abide by them.
Quote by Ekoroski
But on topic, to me a good person is someone who has their own set of moral values and abides by them no matter what, even though their moral values may differ from everybody else, at least they have set forth boundaries for themselves and will abide by them.

terrorists have their set of moral values that they believe are right and they abide by them no matter what. i feel like most people wouldn't say terrorists are good people.
Guitars:
Martin DSR acoustic
Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Les Paul
Amp:
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Pedals:
535Q Crybaby>Fulltone OCD>Phase 90>EHX Big Muff>MXR Carbon Copy>EHX Holy Grail
You can call me Matt
You're a good person if you can admit the fact that you were born an asshole.
Quote by Jackal58
Nothing is stranger than being anonymous.
Quote by kikaykitko
You're a good person if you can admit the fact that you were born an asshole.

Or were we born free then placed in chains, Calvin?
Quote by crzysnowborder
terrorists have their set of moral values that they believe are right and they abide by them no matter what. i feel like most people wouldn't say terrorists are good people.

Fair enough, and i agree with you, but to a terrorist somebody who has the same set of views as you or i may not be a good person either, its all subjective really that was the point im trying to make
Good people care.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
In a purely evolutionary definition of good and bad, we evolved as a 'social' species.
As a social species, our moral role becomes one of 'looking out' for one another, because that is the evolutionary advantage that being a member of a social species brings. So we can consider that in evolutionary terms, a 'good' person is one who simply 'looks out' for his/her fellow person and acts as one of the team for the interests of the whole.

Obviously that means that a bad person is someone who goes against that basic social function, someone who is selfish and only looks out for themselves, someone who would steal the food from another, someone who would use any excuse, such as politics or religion, to place differences between people and so threaten that basic social function.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
In a purely evolutionary definition of good and bad, we evolved as a 'social' species.
As a social species, our moral role becomes one of 'looking out' for one another, because that is the evolutionary advantage that being a member of a social species brings. So we can consider that in evolutionary terms, a 'good' person is one who simply 'looks out' for his/her fellow person and acts as one of the team for the interests of the whole.

Obviously that means that a bad person is someone who goes against that basic social function, someone who is selfish and only looks out for themselves, someone who would steal the food from another, someone who would use any excuse, such as politics or religion, to place differences between people and so threaten that basic social function.

But from an evolutionary standpoint an organism that purely looks out for others at the expense of itself is going to get seriously shafted by natural selection. In animals it's often observed that these 'altruistic' functions are simply utilised to improve their own chance of reproduction and the survival of these children. This obviously gets very complicated with human beings given that the factors that allow optimal reproduction aren't nearly as clear as they are in the rest of the animal kingdom.

So I'd argue that from a purely evolutionary viewpoint a 'good' person is one who maximises his chance of passing on his genes. Dependant on situation this may or may not require them to harm members of the same species around them.
Quote by Nosferatu Man

A good person looks out for otther people and covers their asss even if they dont like them. Also i was brought up on the phrase "There is no such thing as a bad person only a person who does bad things."
Quote by pwrmax
You win this thread. You get a cookie, except there's no cookie smiley so here's a llama

Very proud owner of (1) lolstack(s)
Quote by Stugg334

A good person is someone who has the ability to fake feelings very well.
Gear:
MXR Super Badass -->
BOSS SD WAZA -->
FENDER CD 140 SCE -->
MXR M300 REVERB -->
TC ELECTRONIC FLASHBACK
ESP EC 401 VF TSB -->
BOSS KATANA HEAD 100 WATT -->
MILF Tease
No one can be a good person to everyone.

I really don't have a clue what makes a good person to anyone though, I'm a tool.
They made me do push ups in drag

I'm gonna have a really hard time if we're both cannibals and racists.

Don't dress as a whore, he'll thump you.

I'm a firework, primed to go off
No such thing.
Quote by Gabel
You are EXTREMELY WRONG! I have played it. I own an 18W and it would be an awful stereo amp, it's way too bright, breaks up too easily and so on. Secondly, why would a guitar store sell an hifi amp.
Quote by leeb rocks
But from an evolutionary standpoint an organism that purely looks out for others at the expense of itself is going to get seriously shafted by natural selection.

Which is why the majority of a social species looks out for one another, it's a reciprocal action, you look out for me and I look out for you, that way we both gain.
And this is pretty much the only way it can work from an evolutionary standpoint, if only one member of the species acts in this way, then yes, natural selection will, as you say, 'shaft' it and any advantage that the species may have gained from it will be lost. But if they all act in a social manner, then they all gain, making a true evolutionary advantage.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Honesty is at the top of my list. I don't mind someone being a selfish conceited prick if they're honest about. But if they stab you in the back, that's not good.

As for my take on it, being good or bad, I don't care - it's about whether I like the person or not.
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

The music winners listen to
Page 1 of 2