Hey guys,
Been putting some money away and now find myself with 2000AUD (1800USD) to spend on an amp for metal. Keep in mind I am willing to save further if it is worth it and I've still got some pedals to sell.

My preferance would be to go secondhand.

Catch is I live in Australia, where the secondhand metal amp market is almost non-existant. By the time something respectable comes up I may well have A LOT more saved. So basicly go wild.

Quick list of the sort of things I enjoy playing:
It Dies Today, Avenged Sevenfold, In Flames, BRING ME THE HORIZON, All That Remains, Killswitch Engage, August Burns Red, Atreyu, Bullet for My Valentine, Trivium, Shadows Fall, As I Lay Dying, Alter Bridge, Bleeding Through, As Blood Runs Black, Death Before Dishonor, Between the Buried and Me, Rise Against, Stone Sour, Three Days Grace, Breaking Benjamin.

Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
List price on a Mark V over here is $6,500, I'm yet to see one secondhand though.
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson RD Artist

Amps:

Framus Cobra

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Last edited by R.D at Jul 31, 2010,
In my experience over here 6505's, Rev. G Dual Recs and Mark IV's are all around the same price. Would you reccomend the 6505 over them?
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson RD Artist

Amps:

Framus Cobra

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Yep
6505+ if you can
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
TBH, I have my doubts about TS getting the 6505. Even quite a few of the bands he listed use them (August Burns Red, BFMV, In Flames, and Trivium to name a few) some the others he listed also play clean in quite a few of their songs (Alter Bridge, Breaking Benjamin, and Three Days Grace for example), and the way I see it, that's where he'll run into problems.

TS, my vote goes for a JSX (I think one of the guys in Bullet uses them now if I'm not mistaken) or a used Rectifier.
Quote by Kikuta
Sell your Valvestate to brainless 17 year old for mighty sums of dollars. Purchase a JMP for a pittance from a desperate seller. Masturbate to pictures of yourself and your new, real Marshall. Eternal glory awaits.

Quote by rocknrolldude43
TBH, I have my doubts about TS getting the 6505. Even quite a few of the bands he listed use them (August Burns Red, BFMV, In Flames, and Trivium to name a few) some the others he listed also play clean in quite a few of their songs (Alter Bridge, Breaking Benjamin, and Three Days Grace for example), and the way I see it, that's where he'll run into problems.

TS, my vote goes for a JSX (I think one of the guys in Bullet uses them now if I'm not mistaken) or a used Rectifier.

That's why I was holding scepticism over the 6505. The stuff I actually write is kinda Hard Rock/Alt Metal with heavy Jazz influences.
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson RD Artist

Amps:

Framus Cobra

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Quote by R.D
In my experience over here 6505's, Rev. G Dual Recs and Mark IV's are all around the same price. Would you reccomend the 6505 over them?

I love 5150s, but the 2 Channel Dual Recto slays. Seriously, they sound ****ing badass. That would be my choice over those 3, for sure.

5150/6505s do not have bad cleans. I seriously don't get where people get that idea, unless you don't know how to work knobs on an amp, it should be pretty easy to get a usable clean tone out of any of the 5150 series amps.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Jul 31, 2010,
I've played a heap of 3 Chan Recs and though they sound like a steam train coming for you, I always found their top end a little brittle and fizzy. How much better are the 2 Chans?
Thanks guys <3
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson RD Artist

Amps:

Framus Cobra

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Quote by R.D
I've played a heap of 3 Chan Recs and though they sound like a steam train coming for you, I always found their top end a little brittle and fizzy. How much better are the 2 Chans?
Thanks guys <3

A LOT better. It's like night and day, seriously.

I had both a few weeks ago, couldn't stand the 3 channel. It sounded alright, I guess, but the 2 channel was just in a whole other league.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com