Ive decided to learn Back to the Shalla-Bal by Joe Satriani...

And Ive already ran into a hurdle at the first part lol.

In the first part of the song he plays this cool easy tune, its not that hard to play but there are two artifical harmonics in it...

The first one is on the 7th fret of the D string (so a A) (about 22second into attached song). And the second is on the 9th fret on the D string (so a B) (about 34 seconds into the attached song)

Now I can do these artificial harmonics... But I cant get anywhere near the squeal and awesomeness of the ones in the song...

So basically is there any tips or things Im missing or anything that Snatch does special in regards to these harmonics?

Or alternatively is there another note on the fret board where I can do these and get the same sound?

Thanks

(Heres a simple file of Back to the Shalla-Bal that I made so I could practice this certain part... The harmonics in question are at 22sec and 34sec in thanks)

http://www.mediafire.com/?yr5ulxw2crl1j5x
what kind of guitar are you playing?
Guitars
Prs Custom 24
Fender Jaguar
Gibson Les paul standard dc
Ibanez as71

Amps
Peavey xxx
Crate v-32h/cab

Effects
Dimebag wah
carbon copy
evh phase
blackstart ht-duel
holy grail plus
electric mistress stereo
dd-20
i dunno but that solo is retarded, good luck

Haha are you mocking the great Satch!!!!

Joe uses alot of effects so that could be part of the problem.

what kind of guitar are you playing?

What kind of effects would increase the harmonic sounds lol. As I would be interested in investing in such an effect.

At the moment Im playing a ESP M200FM with EMG 81's on a Marshall TSL100.
Last edited by Stildawn at Jul 31, 2010,
you should have no trouble with that.
Guitars
Prs Custom 24
Fender Jaguar
Gibson Les paul standard dc
Ibanez as71

Amps
Peavey xxx
Crate v-32h/cab

Effects
Dimebag wah
carbon copy
evh phase
blackstart ht-duel
holy grail plus
electric mistress stereo
dd-20
There is a hell of a lot of distortion there, and also a heap of reverb which certainly helps bring them out. He's also adding a ton of vibrato to make them squeal better

EDIT: I hope you know his name isn't SNATCH it is SATCH
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD M-200FM w/Tone Zone + PAF Pro
Ibanez RG7321
Digitech Whammy IV
Digitech GSP1101
Furman M-10 LxE
Peavey 6505
ISP Decimator
There is a hell of a lot of distortion there, and also a heap of reverb which certainly helps bring them out. He's also adding a ton of vibrato to make them squeal better

EDIT: I hope you know his name isn't SNATCH it is SATCH

Damn it lol I woke up this morning and was posting here and i was like "Hmm does it have a n or no n lol cant remember"

Ok tons of distortion, tons of reverb and vibrato... Ill try that out...

Tell me I always find it easier to play harmonics on the lighter strings... Will I get the same sound if I do the A harmonic on say... 2nd fret G string?
Quote by Stildawn
Haha are you mocking the great Snatch!!!!

LOL! Wow, that'd be a totally different nickname for a whole lot of other reasons.
I'm a musician/composer before I'm a guitar player.

foREVer

R.I.P Jimmy "The Reverend Tholomew Plague" Sullivan.