Hey guys, I have a couple of questions:

From my understanding, Key Signatures are based off of the major scales, for example, the C major scale has no sharps or flats, so does the Key of C, the G major scale has 1 sharp, so does the key of G. Is this understanding correct?

Also, are there key signatures for other scales, such as the natural or harmonic minor scales, or would you have to use accidentals appropriately throughout the whole piece? Is it normal for a song to use many different scales throughout the song?
Quote by zincabopataurio
Hey guys, I have a couple of questions:

From my understanding, Key Signatures are based off of the major scales, for example, the C major scale has no sharps or flats, so does the Key of C, the G major scale has 1 sharp, so does the key of G. Is this understanding correct?

Pretty much.

Also, are there key signatures for other scales, such as the natural or harmonic minor scales, or would you have to use accidentals appropriately throughout the whole piece? Is it normal for a song to use many different scales throughout the song?

There are key signatures for the other NATURAL MINOR scales. The Harmonic and Melodic minor are just alterations of the Natural Minor, so for those you just use accidentals where appropriate.

For the minor key sigs you take the 6th scale degree of a Major scale and make that the root now.

For example, A Major has 3 sharps: F#, C# and G#. The 6th scale degree is an F# minor chord. If we take our scale and move our root note to the F# we now have the F# Minor scale and key sig (3 sharps).
So the only key signatures that exist are the 7 sharp and flat key signatures, and C? If a song is written using a minor scale, for example A minor, the key signature for that song would be C? Also another question (not sure if it's the last one though), whats the proper term to name key signatures? Would you say a song is in C, or C major?

By the way, thanks for that answer so far!
Yes, key signatures are based off of major scales (as well as their relative natural minor scales). These two scales are both considered "diatonic" as they use the WWHWWWH intervals, only with roots in different places, obviously.

Key signatures are never based off of any other scales, as they are not diatonic. The modes of the major scale are diatonic (based off of that definition), but that's also another story.

Thus why you don't have song "in the key of E harmonic minor." Harmonic minor is not a key, it's a scale. I guess you could use it modally, but I don't want to get into that.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea