Found nothing about this by searching.

I was browsing the library today and found a book called "We Never Learn: The Gunk Punk Undergut, 1988-2001"

I recently read a little about it in the local Columbus paper because the author was the singer for a Gunk Punk band called the New Bomb Turks from Columbus.

I for one, had not heard of this style but after listening to a couple of tracks and reading a few chapters it is very interesting. Apparently some well known bands got their start in some of these scenes. Bands such as The Hives, The Strokes, White Stripes (you know all those garage revival bands?)

Anyone know more about this?
I've never heard of it, though I am intrigued.

That's.....about all I have. Sorry yo.
DOWN&OUT
That's funny, because that's the exact same thing that I know about it.

From listening to it, it sounds like a mash up of some old style Rock N Roll with Saxes and Horns that you can dance to, with some really low quality recording of some awesome hardcore punk.

This is from Wikipedia:
Gunk Punk is a sub-genre of punk rock that ignores hardcore punk politics, and revolved heavily around a garage punk or blues punk sound, though avoids cliche, mop top, standards often associated with traditional garage rock. Gunk Punk is also heavily rooted around rock and roll and fun live shows.

The genre was most active in the pre-internet days of 1988 to 2001, with a burst of lo-fi releases on Crypt Records, Goner Records, Sympathy for the Record Industry, Norton Records and In the Red Records. These punk records were influenced by on the bands like The MC5, The Sonics, The Stooges, The Flamin' Groovies and The Cramps.

Examples of Gunk Punk bands are The Oblivians, The Dwarves, New Bomb Turks, The Gories, The Devil Dogs, Supersuckers, The Cynics, and Billy Childish.

In the 2010 book "We Never Learn: The Gunk Punk Undergut, 1988-2001," author Eric Davidson (of the New Bomb Turks) chronicled this wave of rock and roll.

This movement of "trashy punk" and "down and dirty rock-n-roll" lead to current bands such as Reigning Sound, The White Stripes, The Hives and The Dirtbombs.
I guess.

It's funny though because I was trying to post some examples of the bands mentioned in the book, and most of them have none of their songs on youtube.
I bought an old epitaph comp cd from 1998 from a friend, and it has Defiled by the New Bomb Turks on it. I ****in' love that song. I didn't know they were part of their own special subgenre, though.