Page 1 of 2
I was thinking about pickups and reading about 'em (I play guitar for like 4 years, but dont know much about pickups)...

To me, they have the same importance to a guitar as a video card have to a computer.

Am I right or wrong?

I mean, if you have a mid pc, you can buy a nice freaking awesome video card and you'll be able to run all games in max settings.
If the guitar sounds really good, and you play some video game theme, you'll feel like you're playing the game.
Depends what amp you're playing on. An amazing guitar on a crap amp will sound crap, a crap guitar on an amazing amp will sound amazing.
Let's say I have a low (not crap) guitar, with nice amp.
And I put a really good pickup (for metal).
Will it help me getting a great tone?

I mean... the guitar I have, It's kinda hard to get a nice hammer-on or pull-off
That has nothing at all to do with the pickup. It's all in your technique. Hammer ons/pull offs can be played on anything.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Think of it like a cake.

The amp is the body of a cake. Crap amp = crap end result.

The guitar as the filling. Good guitar + good amp = tasty nomnomz, good guitar + crap amp = it's still going to taste like ass.

The pickups are much like the icing on top, it is the small alterations to your tone/taste that can refine and perfect what you're after.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Oh yeah... sure.......
I can easily do it on the stores I go to test new pedals (with their guitars).

BUt with mine I can't.

If I put gain to max (tons of noise comes in btw...) I can do it also, but it sucks because of the noise.

So no, not in anything.
Alot of things go into tone. Its not just the amp or the guitar per se...pickups, pots, the actual speakers in the amp, the other various electronics....pedals...blah blah blah

If you have a good amp and a decent guitar...a good place to start is the pickups...since its usually a little cheaper to replace them as opposed to speakers...get a higher powered pickup...it will sound out those hammer ons and pull off better...
There is no greater joy than soaring high on the wings of your dreams, except maybe the joy of watching a dreamer who has nowhere to land but in the ocean of reality.

I'm back!
What about using VST like Guitar rig or Amplitube, how good my interface audio should be, so I don't have to get a good amp (don't wanna hear it out loud, just using headphones)?
Last edited by demerda at Jul 31, 2010,
I think you need a GameBoy sound card in your neck position.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Quote by mmolteratx
That has nothing at all to do with the pickup. It's all in your technique. Hammer ons/pull offs can be played on anything.

Thats not entirely true...I have played some crap guitars that didn't sound out hammer ons and pull offs that well. My personal guitars are different. My technique is not any different and I get a good, clean sound. I am not disagreeing with you...but it could be the guitar.
There is no greater joy than soaring high on the wings of your dreams, except maybe the joy of watching a dreamer who has nowhere to land but in the ocean of reality.

I'm back!
Quote by Darkflame
^beat you to it

Damnit.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Lol Wut
NOW PART OF THE

Quote by Robchappers
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
I'd say the amp is the video card and the guitar is like the CPU if you want a gaming analogy.
Guitars
Amps
A video card is a digital device in a computer that processes a video signal and renders graphics. A guitar pickup (traditionally) is a solenoid that has an analog output to an amplifier, and does not render anything, but rather induces a voltage that is processed by a speaker into music, or noise in some people's case. Either way, you're thinking of very different technologies, so this analogy doesn't really hold.
Quote by sg4ever
+15,670,899,554,667,881,999

Quote by CullenT
+15,670,899,554,667,882,000
That was a post of sage advice. Listen to this guy TS.

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
Quote by Andian03
Thats not entirely true...I have played some crap guitars that didn't sound out hammer ons and pull offs that well. My personal guitars are different. My technique is not any different and I get a good, clean sound. I am not disagreeing with you...but it could be the guitar.

Well that would be the guitar. Not the pickups, TS is asking if pickups will help his h/p's out, and they most likely wont.

IMO changing pickups is a bit useless unless you've got a nice responsive (tube) amp. Using different pickups with VST amp sims doesn't seem to have a drastic effect.

Quote by demerda

I mean, if you have a mid pc, you can buy a nice freaking awesome video card and you'll be able to run all games in max settings.

Also, this isn't exactly true. You still need enough processing power and memory. I bought a $200 video card that should have run Crysis at full settings, and my computer was pretty powerfull at the time. Could only run it at medium
Last edited by Ignite at Jul 31, 2010,
Quote by Ignite
Well that would be the guitar. Not the pickups, TS is asking if pickups will help his h/p's out, and they most likely wont.

IMO changing pickups is a bit useless unless you've got a nice responsive (tube) amp. Using different pickups with VST amp sims doesn't seem to have a drastic effect.

It isn't totally useless

Sure valve amps are more responsive to tonal alterations but I heard a difference in my Microcube too so

Just changes the character of the guitar IMO, greatly via valve or more subtly in SS amps.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
A midrange guitar with great pickups will sound like a midrange guitar with great pickups
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Ok, this analogy is just not good.
A game will not work well if you have a good video and a crappy CPU, and won't work either if you have a good CPU but crappy sound card. You can't compare this to guitar tone.
Quote by demerda
Oh yeah... sure.......
I can easily do it on the stores I go to test new pedals (with their guitars).

BUt with mine I can't.

If I put gain to max (tons of noise comes in btw...) I can do it also, but it sucks because of the noise.

So no, not in anything.

The only way a competent player wouldn't be able to do hammer ons/pull offs on a guitar is if the action is set so low it's fretting out no matter what you do. Any competent player would adjust his/her approach to do it. And the reason it works better with lots of gain is because it compresses everything and covers up sloppiness.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Pickups don't go out of date. Its a stupid comparison. And pickups do make a difference to amp sims maybe not as much of a tube amp but this is an annoying myth.
Last edited by coolstoryangus at Jul 31, 2010,
Quote by Andrew/WK
You can't play video games on a guitar.

guitar hero.
Stuff:
ESP/LTD EC-200QM (with SD Distortions)
1986 Charvel Model 4
2013 Ibanez RG7421WH

Amps
Marshall MS-2 microamp (a POS)
B-52 LG-100a head (Not bad)

Pedals
Digitech Grunge distortion
im pretty sure 90% of you have missed the point, or are just acting like idiots on purpose. so stop spamming, and either contribute or dont post.

anyway, pickups typically arent going to drasticly change your tone. if that is what you are looking to do, the first place to go is not pickups. if you have a good guitar and want to tweak the sound, then that is when you look at a pickup change. it will not suddenly make the guitar sound or play 100x better. it is really only worthwhile IMO if you know how you want to tweak your sound.
It depends IMO.

My LTD is a cheap guitar with decent pickups, and it sounds pretty good. (metal)

My Hamer is an insanely expensive guitar with decent pickups, and it sounds slightly better. (metal) The Hamer DOMINATES the LTD for anything else.

The Hamer sounds bigger, feels better, plays nicer, and looks way sexier.

IMO there's a peak where an expensive guitar and expensive pickups stop doing anything for you. It depends on what you consider "decent" but I think if a decent guitar is $600-$800. IMO a decent guitar with nice pickups is going to sound pretty similar to a $5,000 guitar with triple binding, cocaine inlays, and African ebony fretboard. (With the same pickups)

Now the $5,000 guitar is nicer, plays better, sustains better, gets more guitar nerds topless (not girls, they don't know the difference), and overall gives you a better vibe playing.
/rig
Quote by mespinos
It depends IMO.

My LTD is a cheap guitar with decent pickups, and it sounds pretty good. (metal)

My Hamer is an insanely expensive guitar with decent pickups, and it sounds slightly better. (metal) The Hamer DOMINATES the LTD for anything else.

IMO there's a peak where an expensive guitar and expensive pickups stop doing anything for you. It depends on what you consider "decent" but I think if a decent guitar is $600-$800. IMO a decent guitar with nice pickups is going to sound pretty similar to a $5,000 guitar with triple binding, cocaine inlays, and African ebony fretboard. (With the same pickups)

Now the $5,000 guitar is nicer, plays better, sustains better, gets more guitar nerds topless (not girls, they don't know the difference), and overall gives you a better vibe playing.

-1 completely wrong. spoken like someone who has never actually played a 5k guitar.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
if your asking whether they just slot in and out like a pc card, then no there is normally some soldering to do.
Last edited by ibanezgod1973 at Aug 1, 2010,
Quote by AcousticMirror
-1 completely wrong. spoken like someone who has never actually played a 5k guitar.

So you would spend 5k on a guitar?
Last edited by coolstoryangus at Aug 1, 2010,
Quote by AxSilentxLine
You can't play Guitar on a video game

don't plug guitar into it; just use it as video game if it works.

@coolstoryangus: No, acousticmirror is just correct. If you think a £600 guitar with good pickups is going to get anywhere near as good sounding as a £5000 guitar, you've obviously just never played a £5000 guitar. There's only so far the tonewoods they use on mid-priced guitars can take you tonally, no matter what pickups you put in it.

I can't afford a £5000 guitar but i'm not just going to pretend my £500+ guitars are "almost" as good because it's simply not true - i'd only be lying to myself, and then i wouldn't be happy with my guitars.

edit: damn you completely editing your post while i'm posting angus
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by mespinos
It depends IMO.

Now the $5,000 guitar is nicer, plays better, sustains better, gets more guitar nerds topless (not girls, they don't know the difference), and overall gives you a better vibe
playing.

+100
I totally agree, there's a point where price is just for materials and feels

I have 2 guitars, both cost about 500 dollars or so if you don't include the cost of the pickups

I've played on my guitars, and my uncles Gibson Les Paul custom, and his American stray, and his prs mccarty, and my friends epiphone Les paul and my cousin's Joe satriani signature

the expensive guitars tend to sound better, yes, but not THAT much better, the main improvement is in feel and sustain, would I like to have those guitars? Sure they're great but my guitars sound about 90 to 95% as good for half the price, so it's just preference on feel and sound, cuz I personally don't feel that they SOUND that much better, but they do play better
Ibanez RG5EX1
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey XXX-->Avatar 4X12(2 V30's 2 G12H30's)

BARE KNUCKLE PUPS RULE!
Quote by gumbilicious
thanks for making an old dude feel like his advice is actually taken into consideration
Quote by Blompcube
don't plug guitar into it; just use it as video game if it works.

@coolstoryangus: No, acousticmirror is just correct. If you think a £600 guitar with good pickups is going to get anywhere near as good sounding as a £5000 guitar, you've obviously just never played a £5000 guitar. There's only so far the tonewoods they use on mid-priced guitars can take you tonally, no matter what pickups you put in it.

I can't afford a £5000 guitar but i'm not just going to pretend my £500+ guitars are "almost" as good because it's simply not true - i'd only be lying to myself, and then i wouldn't be happy with my guitars.

edit: damn you completely editing your post while i'm posting angus

Thats not really what i'm getting at even before the edit. 5000 could buy 5 1000 dollar guitars. 2 2500 guitars etc. And after about 1500 (in pounds anyway) the quality and sound doesnt get all that much better depending on brand its more about taste... . Let alone going to the used market xD
And soundwise very few people would noticably be able to distinguish between a £600 guitar with good pickups or 5000 guitar with a good player and good rig. They're more eye candy then anything else. I personally would hate having an overly expensive guitar that i'd have to baby especially if i was playing out hell i probably wouldnt even gig it and whats the fun in that?
Quote by AcousticMirror

Sorry, my Hamer's only a $4500 guitar, my bad.

My main stage guitars are an LTD EX-400 and a Hamer Custom Shop USA Standard.

The $5000 guitar is not 10 times better than the $500 guitar. That's fine if you disagree, but don't say I've obviously never played an expensive guitar when I own one..

I sometimes prefer the sound of EMG's in a cheap guitar than Duncan 59's in a nice guitar, for metal. Especially out of a Mark IV where I need to pinch out just a tad more gain to get into modern metal.

That being said, the Hamer stays in a case if it's not being played, feels/looks/plays WAY better than the LTD ever could.. The LTD has duct tape instead of strap locks, gets engaged in guitar throws, has had beer spilled on it, lives the life of a rock star. The Hamer, no so much.
/rig
Last edited by mespinos at Aug 1, 2010,
Quote by Blompcube

Also, not sure what to tell you.. Maybe that I guess you're right?? I meant USD not £?

Aside from me owning both..

Both guitar bodies are mahogany. One has a mahogany neck, one maple. Both Rosewood fingerboards. I'm not saying its the same grade of wood, but there are similarities. Maybe your justifying the price difference, but they are not THAT different. The expensive one plays better, looks better, feels better, and sounds better.. but not by a huge margin. Thats my opinion. I own both.

People see my Hamer and say HOLY #%# thats a nice top. Awesome inlays. Sweet.

People see my LTD and say nothing.
/rig
Last edited by mespinos at Aug 1, 2010,
Page 1 of 2