I don't really think this exists. But does anyone think a band that did several different genres could be good?

Like say Metal/Experimental/Psychadelic Rock or stuff along those lines.
Beatles.
Oh yeah.

Quote by hildesaw
A minor is the saddest of all keys.

EDIT: D minor is the saddest of all keys.
Are you asking whether or not mixing genres works...?
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
the eagles (county? / classic rock)
black sabbath ( metal / classic rock )
Survivor of:
Maryland Deathfest X
Maryland Deathfest XI
Maryland Deathfest XII
inb4 BTBAM

EDIT: if you want genre mixing, Mr. Bungle has you completely covered.
Quote by Natrone
I'm a pretty hardcore Christian. I would like to sincerely apologize that you ran into that little fucktard

Quote by mystique facade
dale-banez made a fool of himself..lol

my gear:

oh wait, no one cares
Last edited by dale-banez at Jul 31, 2010,
yea but usually the genres are pretty closely related...

i mean like if you have one song like Keep Talking by Pink Floyd

Then like another like Gimme A D by Parkway Drive....

would that work?
Well, there's a few bands in the progressive genres who have pulled this off. Not every song, but in a few songs. For example, Coheed and Cambria gets pretty close. Also, on their latest album, same with BTBAM.
Faith No More immediately comes to mind.

But the same people playing the same instruments will generally sound the same irrespective of genre.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
There are plenty of bands that fuse genres or write songs consisting of many styles. Like anything, of course it can be good, if the writers have experience and know what they're doing stylistically, in terms songwriting and/or with regards to theory, but it can be just as bad if it's done without those skills or just for the sake of it.

From the top of my head, Akphaezya, Pin-Up Went Down, Mr Bungle, Diablo Swing Orchestra, Closure in Moscow, Angra, André Popp, Painted in Exile, Unexpect, Spastic Ink frequently fuse or reference multiple genres in their songs. Pin-up's probably my favourite though, for their fluency.

EDIT:
If you're interested, here are some samples:
Pin-Up Went Down
Pop, House, Industrial - other songs are have jazz touches and other subtleties.

Closure in Moscow
Post-hardcore, Jazz Fusion (more on some songs than others), Prog-Rock

Unexpect
Symphonic, Gypsy, Black Metal, Electronic

Angra
Brazillian Power Metal with heavy orchestration and cultural touches.
Last edited by juckfush at Jul 31, 2010,
Quote by juckfush
There are plenty of bands that fuse genres or write songs consisting of many styles. Like anything, of course it can be good, if the writers have experience and know what they're doing stylistically, songwriting and/or with regards to theory, but it can be just as bad if it's done without those skills or just for the sake of it.

From the top of my head, Akphaezya, Pin-Up Went Down, Mr Bungle, Diablo Swing Orchestra, Closure in Moscow, Angra, André Popp, Painted in Exile, Unexpect, Spastic Ink frequently fuse or reference multiple genres in their songs. Pin-up's probably my favourite though, for their fluency.

EDIT:
If you're interested, here are some samples:
Pin-Up Went Down

Closure in Moscow

Unexpect

Thanks man, ill have to check it out
Oh also Ween. They went so far to release genre-themed albums.
Soundcloud
Quote by djmar22
But does anyone think a band that did several different genres could be good?

Bro, write whatever. Don't worry about genres, let the people who actually listen to your work decide that.

One of the worst things about music today is genres. They have way too much potential to become prescriptive instead of descriptive when musicians are concerned.
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
Quote by AlanHB
Faith No More immediately comes to mind.

But the same people playing the same instruments will generally sound the same irrespective of genre.

True. The Real Thing and Angel Dust are class. I don't like King for a day, but it's still OK.

Anyways, TS..

Acid Witch (Psychadelic, metal)
Cynic (Jazzy elements combined with death metal growls and clean vocals)
Peste Noire (Punk, black metal)
Atheist (Jazzy, death metal)

Hell, loads of bands...Yes, they all have legions of fans.

Oh, and Irepress. Hell yeah.
Last edited by severed-metal at Jul 31, 2010,
Quote by demonofthenight
Bro, write whatever. Don't worry about genres, let the people who actually listen to your work decide that.

One of the worst things about music today is genres. They have way too much potential to become prescriptive instead of descriptive when musicians are concerned.

yea i do write my own creative shit..
I was just wondering if anyone could help come up with bands that do it, and if people would think it would work good...
Quote by demonofthenight

Definitely one of the comments I most agree on, and a clever one at that

I say, listen to as much music as you can - whether you think you'll like it or not -, take as much as you can from it, and roll with it; incorporate all the elements you like into what you write, and even then, try to manipulate aspects you don't instinctively like into something more tangible and appropriate to you. Even while experimenting with this method, you may find while studying what makes the music, there's something that will speak to you there; you're bound to find something enjoyable in every genre of music you listen to, or something you could potentially utilize in your own craft.
Of course, musical tastes always change, so you're sure to always hear or want to hear new music; and thus the cycle continues, which is the beauty of it.
Last edited by juckfush at Jul 31, 2010,
It should be noted that the main purpose of genres is to sell your band. If you call a venue and tell them you have a rock band, they may respond differently than if you told them you had a country band.
Soundcloud
Quote by demonofthenight

I hope you don't mind if I sig that
It's so true
Quote by AlanHB
It should be noted that the main purpose of genres is to sell your band. If you call a venue and tell them you have a rock band, they may respond differently than if you told them you had a country band.

hah yea, never really thought of those situations haha, as of right now my band isnt...gig ready, which is why ive never ran into that...
The Number 12 Looks Like You!

The Fall of Troy has a fair amount of diverse influences, as does Protest the Hero.

I don't think they're too great, but Asking Alexandria mixes metalcore and trance.
Last edited by aCloudConnected at Aug 1, 2010,
there are tons of bands that do this. the reason its not as well known of a technique is because when enough bands mix 2 genres they'll just call it a new fusion genre, like when enough people mixed country and rock it stopped being new and exciting and people just started calling it "country-rock"
Last edited by TMVATDI at Aug 1, 2010,