I'm looking for a guitar that can handle sweeping very clean, and at least be able to play chunky riffs. Of course this means that I must have perfect technique and a good amp/cables, but lets say I do have those (I don't, but for the sake of argument pretend I do, or you do in my shoes)... what is a good brand to go with?

I don't know much about brands. I was looking at some 81 EMG's in maybe an ESP guitar.
My current guitar is sort of shitty. I've been playing long enough that I want a guitar durable for recording. It does NOT have to play live... but if it could that is a bonus.

This thread does not mean I have to spend 2000$ (preferably after tax), but showing an upper limit.

My intention is to get one of those "keepers till i die" guitars. Any input is great thanks.
It's really that the pickups have to retain clarity to make your sweeping sound good, not necessarily the guitar itself. But try LAG (if you can find a place that has them), Jackson, or ESP/LTD.
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
Cant you do this on any reasonably priced guitar? Iv seen a guy do it on my Les Paul and his 72 Strat.
Gibson Les Paul Traditional - 11
Fender Stratocaster MIM - 04
Fender Mustang - 04
Taylor 214ce - 10
If your technique is good enough, you won't need a $2000 guitar to sound good. Someone who is truly skilled can make a Squire sound like an MIA fender.

That being said, there isn't really a guitar specifically for anything. The guitar is purely personal preference. So instead of looking for a guitar that is good for sweeping, you should look for a guitar that is comfortable to you. Because once you have a guitar you're really comfortable with, you'll be able to do anything you set your will to.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
RG550 + DiMarzios. Again.
G&L Legacy
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez RG20thDY
Ibanez RG25thFP
Agile Septor Elite 727
Fender Evil Twin / Mesa 412
EVH 5150 III Mini / Avatar 212

A good guitar for sweeping? I don't really understand. That's like asking what guitars are good for tapping, or bending; doesn't make sense to me.

How about just finding a guitar you feel comfortable playing?
While you can technically sweep and play fast on any guitar, some guitars make it easier. I picked an Ibanez RG as my "speedy" guitar and I couldn't be happier. It has a flat fretboard, an unfinished, thin neck, and large frets. It has the fastest neck I've ever played. There's little to no friction when moving around and the action is incredibly low without any buzz. I can put a 1.14mm pick between the 24th fret and strings and it'll stay in place. It pretty much plays itself. The only thing is that it doesn't really get chunky. The basswood doesn't get as dirty and full as other woods, but that makes it a great lead guitar. You might be better off with an S, SV, FR, or RGA. They all have the same neck, just made of different woods and they have different shapes.
Quote by JELIFISH19
While you can technically sweep and play fast on any guitar, some guitars make it easier.

easier for you.

im sure theres alot of people out there that could sweep better on a strat neck than a wizard.
You are spending 2k on a guitar and have to ask on the internut what to buy?? My vote is to bank the money and take your happy ass out shopping. If you have to ask when spending that kind of money you do not know enough on your own to keep your self from getting screwed.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
Quote by Bhaok
You are spending 2k on a guitar and have to ask on the internut what to buy?? My vote is to bank the money and take your happy ass out shopping. If you have to ask when spending that kind of money you do not know enough on your own to keep your self from getting screwed.

I disagree. Some people like opinions from possibly more experienced musicians, I know I do.

Hey bro, sweeping is a technique, so I'll take it you want to be able to play fast and with minimum effort to get the best sound.

If you like ibanez necks (I hate them), look into the S, RG, or RGA series guitars.
Or you could try a Washburn HM WI 526, for 1.8k it's a pretty damn nice guitar, and quite possibly the smoothest/fastest neck I've ever played on. It has the EMG's in it, so you'll get that clarity (even if a bit mechanical sounding).

OR if you want, get a caparison, you can find them second hand for around that price.
-------------------------------------------
Gear:

Guitar(s): .Shecter Tempest EXTREMEEEEEE
--------------Maton CW-80

Amplification: Randall RG75 G3
I'm not really sure what the big deal is. My sweeping ability virtually doesn't change at all going from guitar to guitar provided the guitar is set up correctly and in decent condition. Spend that $2000 on the world's most comfortable chair for you to practice on.
If your technique is good enough it shouldnt matter what guitar your playing.. Aye a guitar you get on well with may make it slightly easier but still it doesnt make that much of a difference.
I personally find ibanez easiest to play technical stuff on because of the thin neck but it isnt much of an issue to me.

buy this and you'll be able to do some major kickass sweeping

also compatible with guitar hero so thats a plus

TS,there is no such thing as a sweeping guitar,try out a bunch of different guitars and buy what you like,you're technique is the only thing important when it comes to sweeping
Last edited by archenemyfan at Aug 1, 2010,
WHat the other guys said. I sweep just as well on my SGs as I do on my Schecter Damien 6. Its more about skill and comfortability with your guitar. But neck pickup + reverb + delay makes it sound better generally
Go to a shop and play a buttload of guitars, once you find something comfortable for what you want, buy it.

What amp do you have? the sound will be affected more by the amp than the guitar anyway.

If you still have some crappy starter set or something then I suggest you go for a 6505 combo or something to get the tone ($600), then worry about a guitar that you find comfortable.
I'm just going to leave this here: a super expensive guitar wont make you much better at all at sweeping.
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
Anyone asking this question has no business buying a $2000 guitar. It's a technique that can be played on ANY guitar. Go play a bunch of guitars and find the one the YOU find the easiest to sweep on.