Ok, so I'm still trying to decide on a brand of strings. I play an Ibanez GSR200 (according to the manual, it fits .45-.100 gauge strings) I like to play bands like RHCP, U2, Boston, most rockish type of music, however I'd also like to get into jazz to improve my playing ability.

I recently tried d'adario's ECB81 Chrome flat wounds, and was impressed with the sound for about 7-10 days, and then it just got bad. It sounded great on songs like Van Morrison's "Moondance" and some of the old Boston songs, and were pretty good on RHCP (not real good, but acceptible). However, I cant replace strings every 10 days, and on top of sounding bad after a week or so, it'd be nearly impossible to slide on the strings. I wash my hands before I play, so that's not a problem, and the Truss rod and string action are both fine, it's just the strings that are the problem.

So in short, could you suggest strings for me, that are within .45-.100 gauge, and 30 bucks. I prefer flats, but will take suggestions for both.

Thanks a ton!!!
"Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?"

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination
Your bass will take any gauge of strings as long as it's set up correctly.

I use Rotosound Swing 66s, 45-105. Solid strings, probably not great for jazz but they're very bright and last me for months.
Posted from Ubuntu.

Squier Precision Bass Special in Antique Burst (LH)
Rotosound Swing 66s, 45-105

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

Quote by druggietoad2k5
Your bass will take any gauge of strings as long as it's set up correctly.

I use Rotosound Swing 66s, 45-105. Solid strings, probably not great for jazz but they're very bright and last me for months.

Will the nut on my bass be ok if I switch from .100 to .105? I'm sure it will, but I tried replacing a broken nut on my cheap squire p bass, and wrecked it, so I just want to be sure. Obviously, .05 is hardly anything, just double checking.

Thanks alot for the help. It doesn't matter too much if it doesn't work well with jazz, the majority of what I play and want to play is rock/rock-funk.

(\__/)
From my experience, flat wounds do not go 'bad' They always keep their tone. They don't get debris lodged in the grooves like a round wound string does, because it doesn't really have coils like rounds.

Flat wound give a deep warm tone suitable for jazz and really mellow music. From the bands you listed you like to play, you need round wound strings, preferably stainless steel roundwounds, like DR Hi Beams or Rotosound 66's.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
From my experience, flat wounds do not go 'bad' They always keep their tone. They don't get debris lodged in the grooves like a round wound string does, because it doesn't really have coils like rounds.

Flat wound give a deep warm tone suitable for jazz and really mellow music. From the bands you listed you like to play, you need round wound strings, preferably stainless steel roundwounds, like DR Hi Beams or Rotosound 66's.

That's two suggestions for the Rotosound 66's, so I may go with them.

Also, I may have just gotten a bad set, because these strings lost their tone pretty quickly for 30 dollar strings.

(\__/)
Quote by druggietoad2k5

+1

Just recently got hooked on Rotosound 66s when I strung up my 5er, don't think I'll ever change preference unless I go the flatwound route.

Gibson Les Paul Traditional Satin
Fender 72' Thinline Telecaster
Fender Am Telecaster
Bad Cat HotCat 30R

Korg Pitchblack
Xotic BB Preamp
TC Flashback X4
Strymon Timeline
EHX POG 2
JHS Double Barrel
Quote by oz_bassist
+1

Just recently got hooked on Rotosound 66s when I strung up my 5er, don't think I'll ever change preference unless I go the flatwound route.

That's 3 for the rotosounds.

Thanks for the suggestion

(\__/)
Quote by Evan.K
Will the nut on my bass be ok if I switch from .100 to .105? I'm sure it will, but I tried replacing a broken nut on my cheap squire p bass, and wrecked it, so I just want to be sure. Obviously, .05 is hardly anything, just double checking.

Thanks alot for the help. It doesn't matter too much if it doesn't work well with jazz, the majority of what I play and want to play is rock/rock-funk.

The nut will be fine, I've had 40-100, 45-105 and 50-110 strings on my P-Bass (not the cheapest squier one but definitely not the most expensive) and it's been fine. I had the same nut as when it was bought getting on for nearly 2 years ago now, as well.

Quote by Evan.K
That's two suggestions for the Rotosound 66's, so I may go with them.

Also, I may have just gotten a bad set, because these strings lost their tone pretty quickly for 30 dollar strings.

Don't let the price fool you. Ernie Ball bass strings are around $30 here and they are the worst strings I've ever played. They went dead in a week and sounded like crap, whereas Roto's here are around $25 and they last me for probably 6 or 7 months.
Posted from Ubuntu.

Squier Precision Bass Special in Antique Burst (LH)
Rotosound Swing 66s, 45-105

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

1 more for Roto 66's. They just sound great.

Plus, Jaco used them, so i think they'd be great for jazz...
Quote by Flogger_92
1 more for Roto 66's. They just sound great.

Plus, Jaco used them, so i think they'd be great for jazz...

Thanks!! I'll be picking up a set today.

(\__/)