So lately I've been having a hard time getting into playing guitar. I don't know why, I used to be borderline obsessed from the time I was 15 until about six months ago but nowadays I'll go weeks without even touching a guitar. I think part of it is pursuing other hobbies and interests, and partially losing contact with some of my friends from high school who played guitar.

So I know other people have to have hit spots like this with their guitar playing, where it just wasn't doing it for you anymore. How do you get out of it, and how long did it take?
-play different genres
-join a band

Those two helped me. Also, it wouldn't hurt to try a different instrument for awhile and then return to guitar
Sail upon the open skies
I play other instruments for a while if I get bored. I've been rocking out my fretless bass for a while, and now I go back on guitar and it feels so easy and I can do things I was never able to do before on it.
Q: Favourite Pink Floyd song?
A: The one where they get wicked high and play Emin and A for an hour.
Do drugs. Dey make me happyyyy.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
Quote by damian_91
Do drugs. Dey make me happyyyy.

From this:

to this:

This will start a RIOT! in me
Quote by angusfan16
-play different genres
-join a band

Those two helped me. Also, it wouldn't hurt to try a different instrument for awhile and then return to guitar

Yeah, I've been considering taking up bass, actually. That is a good idea, since you've roughly doubled your chances of finding a band.

And the different genres thing is something I've been trying too. All through high school I was pretty much a headbanger and played nothing outside of metal. The sad part is I'm pretty mediocre as a lead guitar player to be completely honest, particularly when it comes to the shreddy stuff.

So I have been trying to expand my musical horizons a little, lately I've been playing more southern rock type stuff and even some country, maybe a little 90s alternative stuff. It seems to come to me a lot more naturally so we'll see where that goes...
Quote by stratdud39
Watch Paul Gilbert videos on youtube?

Trust me, I had my fair share of Paul Gilbert stuff. For a while there I would listen to that song "Heart of a Lion" by Racer X over and over.

Quote by L2112Lif
Learn bass or drums, or try learning to sing. Singing and playing opens up new opportunities, especially if you learn to play riffs and sing at the same time.

For some reason I have a hell of a time trying to sing and play at the same time. It's like my brain can't keep up with doing those two things at once for some reason.
Last edited by CaptDin at Jul 31, 2010,
learn as much stuff as possible... licks, theory, songs, riffs, scales... whatever, as long as your always doing something new
Yeah, man - it's a slump. Like writer's block, but for inspiration. We all go through it, and we'll all continue to - it doesn't really go away.

What helps me out when I get blocked is to grab up my bass, which I've actually been playing more of these days - or to listen to some new music, try to figure out new songs, etc. Usually something out of your comfort zone will spark inspiration.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by Xhale1
gorgeous

We'll have less of that. Especially with Fred Durst in the quote!
Essentially, what i found after i started playing guitar is that there are 2 kinds of guitarist in the world. There are people who play guitar occasionally, that can grow to become good guitarists and there are people who stay interested and they end up getting great. Theres always times when you dont feel like it, but as long as you can be bothered to pick it up once in a while, at some point youl find something that inspires you :P good luck hahaa
I am Rob Rideout! Wearer of Pants!
Just watch videos of your favorite guitarists. That always makes me motivated.

EDIT!!: "You'll never be able to play well. Ever. Just give up, everything you do sucks. You want to be in a band playing that shit?" That is what someone once told me months ago. Let me tell you, it hurt, but my motivation sky rocketed.
Last edited by TomusAM at Jul 31, 2010,
Quote by strat0blaster
Yeah, man - it's a slump. Like writer's block, but for inspiration. We all go through it, and we'll all continue to - it doesn't really go away.

What helps me out when I get blocked is to grab up my bass, which I've actually been playing more of these days - or to listen to some new music, try to figure out new songs, etc. Usually something out of your comfort zone will spark inspiration.

Yeah, this post, pretty much. Musicians block happens. It's how you get out of it that matters.
Have lots of good music that you want to emulate. Helps me a bunch.
Battling FC: 0259 8373 3725
I sometimes find that when that happens to me, I can write some cool riffs at the first spark of inspiration. Mainly happens with new songs you hear with an awesome riff.
Exploring different hobbies is a good idea. I was in a mode about two years ago where I would practice every day and taught myself music theory and was completely obsessed. I couldn't write any music however, I could only learn covers and play the same licks over and again, which eventually I got really sick of. Last year however I hardly played my guitar at all. Instead, I read a lot of books on intellectual topics and really worked hard in school. Now I'm finally getting back into guitar. I don't really care about shredding or soloing any more, and I can actually write music now. Taking a break from guitar really can be a good thing. When you finally pick up your guitar again, it's fun to play what you hadn't played in a while, but it's also really refreshing to play in a different style.
I didn't stay excited about it.

It's been almost a year since I've touched an electric guitar. Still pick on the ol' acoustic every now and then.