im looking to buy a distortion pedal. ive never owned one before so i really have no idea where to start. i was planning on buying a new amp but my budget isnt high enough right now for one, so ive decided to start with a pedal. i have $200 to spend but id prefer to only spend 150. id also like it if it controlled volume too, but thats not a must. as well as a wah kind of design, not a stomp, if that makes sense. mostly i play hard rock, and a bit of medal. any advice welcome
What amp are you using? Also, do you mean like a boss pedal, where to turn it on it has the big rocker switch instead of just a small metal one? It's hard to recommend you something, as there's many pedals for what you want to do. For starters maybe look into the Boss DS-1.
ive got a 10w peavey backstage amp. im not sure of the difference, but the boss ds-1 looks more like what im looking for than the blackstar ht series. do u have a boss pedal? if so what style music do u play with it
The DS-1 is not what you're looking for. Keep saving.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
so i should save for a better quality pedal? or keep saving for an amp
Keep saving for an amp. A good distortion pedal will definitely sound good through that amp, but it's just not worth it.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
a pedal isn't going to do anything for you with that amp, save up for a better amp. preferably something with tubes, even if its a hybrid it will be a big upgrade
alright, is it worth it to get a brand new amp, or should i save money and craigslist it
Quote by handbanana
a pedal isn't going to do anything for you with that amp, save up for a better amp. preferably something with tubes, even if its a hybrid it will be a big upgrade

I don't necessarily think that he should get a tube amp, from what i gather from his description he's only a beginner and a tube amp has very limited features for what he wants to do, besides the fact that they're expensive and they're way too loud for someone just using it at home, he should be looking at something along the way of a modelling amp like a Peavey Vyper or Vox Valvetronix something that can run on low volumes and still sound great and has a whole bunch of kick ass types of distortions and effects.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
I'd go with CL. There are quite a lot of people selling JCA29H stacks for 350 at a practically new state of condition, would save you 150 bucks for a brand new one in practically the same condition.
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
ive been playing for 7 years, but ive had the same equipment for the whole 7 years. ive decided to start taking guitar serously. but the only thing i know about wut im looking for is that i want to pla hard rock on it, and i want some good distortion. i was also looking at the valvetronix, but i decided against it because it wasnt tube. whether or not thats the right choice, u tell me. here r the ones im considering

crate v18 212

vox vt15

vox vt30

Crate Vintage Club 20 tube(craigslist for $200)

vox ac4tv
save up for a good amp, u'r not that far away from getting a nice tube amp
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
My mistake sorry, i just assumed that you were a begginner.
Just a big no to crate tbh, they sound like duck anus. Are you going to be gigging at all? Because you need way up wether or not you need a tube amp and even then, i've gigged with my 50 watt vox valvetronix and it's certainly loud enough for small pubs and venues and even then you could just mic up the amp or use the external speaker out if you really liked the sound of it.
The AC4TV is a good amp the only problem with it is that it doesn't have an eq which isn't ideal for hard rock/metal although you could buy an eq pedal for it, you can get better stuff for cheaper.
For solid state i would look into:
Vox VT50
Peavey Vypyr 30

For tube i would look into:
Used 6505+ or 6505 combo
Marshall MA50 Combo
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"