i went to a band practice the other day and i was tuning from Low B back to Standard when my D string randomly snapped. i was using Ernie ball regular slinky strings. My friend the guitarist ended up letting me use his bass because my string was broken. When i got home I noticed that my other strings would not tune right,whether i did it by ear or by my tuner. Do you think I should just get new strings or do you think something might be wrong with my bass,because all the other members of my band were running around and throwing stuff at eachother and my bass was lying on the floor and Im hoping it didn't get like destroyed. All the members of the band are completely immature so i ended up leaving the band the other day. But is my bass broken or does it need new strings? Please help

EDIT: Oh yeah forgot to add,they were completely fine before band practice

She's so pretty in her casts
The prettiest thing I've ever seen
I only get to hold her when she's injured
I only get to kiss her where she's sore
Last edited by pwnadgebunny at Jul 31, 2010,
Quote by pwnadgebunny
i went to a band practice the other day and i was tuning from Low B back to Standard when my D string randomly snapped. i was using Ernie ball regular slinky strings. My friend the guitarist ended up letting me use his bass because my string was broken. When i got home I noticed that my other strings would not tune right,whether i did it by ear or by my tuner. Do you think I should just get new strings or do you think something might be wrong with my bass,because all the other members of my band were running around and throwing stuff at eachother and my bass was lying on the floor and Im hoping it didn't get like destroyed. All the members of the band are completely immature so i ended up leaving the band the other day. But is my bass broken or does it need new strings? Please help

EDIT: Oh yeah forgot to add,they were completely fine before band practice

It could be a number of things.

If the nut has even a small chip in one of the notches, it usualy won't stay tuned. One or more of the tuning heads could be damaged, the bridge could be damaged. I can't tell without actualy seeing the bass, but these are possibilities, although it could be your strings, it likely is something wrong with the bass, as even when my strings are worn out, I can still get a decent tune out of at least one or two strings.

Hope this helped!!
"Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?"

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination
The bass looks fine but I'm worried if there's an internal problem with it..I might just be overreacting though. I don't want to get $20 strings though if there's something wrong with the bass...

Quote by pwnadgebunny
The bass looks fine but I'm worried if there's an internal problem with it..I might just be overreacting though. I don't want to get $20 strings though if there's something wrong with the bass...

Is there any crackily/static noises when you play, or is the bass just not tuning? If its the former, then it could be the pick ups, although I doubt they're damaged if it's just not tuning right.

(\__/)
It has like a weird rattling sound

my low B randomly popped during practice. it was because of rubbing in the saddles on the bridge.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Quote by pwnadgebunny
It has like a weird rattling sound

I'd take it to guitar center, see what they think.

(\__/)
As has been said, the best thing you can do is take it to a luthier or a guitar center and see what they make of it. It would be unusual for strings to fall out of tune a lot because of age, especially quality strings such as Ernie Balls. This is something you'd expect more of new strings, not old ones.

If it's rattling too, it definitely sounds like the nut or the bridge has been damaged. It could have just worn down over time; if your bass is quite old or is played a lot this could be it. However, it's also possible that one of your ex-band mates damaged it.

If this turns out to be the case, I'd definitely make a point of tracking them each down and making them suffer. Can't think of much worse than somebody damaging one of my instruments.
i told them that i'll restring and see if it sounds any better but if it doesnt they have to pay me to get it repaired i will probably bring it into guitar center and see what they say when i go get my strings

Quote by pwnadgebunny
i told them that i'll restring and see if it sounds any better but if it doesnt they have to pay me to get it repaired i will probably bring it into guitar center and see what they say when i go get my strings

You Guitar Center must be a real nice one. My side of GC hires people that knows absolutely nothing about bass gear.
well if not guitar center i know this other place in my city that does instrument repairs so i could bring it in there too. i just want to make sure the bridge or something isn't damaged before i get new strings..cause if it's damaged that would be a waste of money

Yeah, do that.

If they did break it, get them to pay for it. I hope stuff works out dude.

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

Where did the D string randomly snap from? the bridge or near the tuning post? If you can't get the strings to tune, then it's most likely from the string uncoiling from it's core...I have DR's and they uncoil after awhile. otherwise, the truss rod could be busted. How this could have happened, I don't know. But, if the strings randomly snap and the tuning doesn't hold...then the truss isn't holding the proper bow in the neck anymore...putting either exess tension on the strings or making them flat after you tune them. 1st way is much easier than the 2nd.
Duck

Bass tones are hard to find.
My Band
Mesa Boogie M-Pulse 360
Madison MAB 4x10
Warwick Thumb BO 5
Two questions:
How recently have you replaced the strings, and do you tune up and down from standard to drop B a lot?
Honestly, I just got a bass from a guy who hasn't played it in 10+ years... the strings are fine. Depending on how much you change tuning, you could definitely be stretching out the strings a little, and that could add to how quickly the strings wear out.