Wasn't sure where to post this thread, but I've been wanting to get a new acoustic guitar for a little bit but recently I've been thinking of getting a bass. I love all styles of music, and I love to jam. I play guitar drums and keyboard. Should I wait to get a bass and just get an acoustic guitar, or vice versa?

P.S. I have $180 now, but will have more by the end of the week. Could also possibly be selling one of my guitars for around $380 soon.
you are posting in the bass forum. all of us play bass here. its going to be a little bias.
Quote by BobDetroit
It's all about the abalone. You can't play metal without it. Mother of pearl? MOTO? GTFO!
Quote by feelthemusic
Wasn't sure where to post this thread, but I've been wanting to get a new acoustic guitar for a little bit but recently I've been thinking of getting a bass. I love all styles of music, and I love to jam. I play guitar drums and keyboard. Should I wait to get a bass and just get an acoustic guitar, or vice versa?

P.S. I have $180 now, but will have more by the end of the week. Could also possibly be selling one of my guitars for around $380 soon.

180 bucks will either get you a decent starter bass, or a decent amp, although a good bass/amp are gonna run you 250+ each. With the extra 380, though, you could get a bass and amp.

All up to you.
"Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?"

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination
Well the real question here is do you really want to play bass? Is it worth spending the money on, or are you going to get more use and enjoyment out of an acoustic guitar? Do you want a bass to learn to play bass, or do you want a bass just to have one?

As for the money, $300-$400 will get you some really good starter gear (bass+amp). Any less than that and you'll want to go used to get some decent quality stuff.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
as someone who plays bass electric and acoustic guitar, I have one REALLY important question for you. what are some bands that you like?
no sir away a papaya war is on
Quote by Tostitos
Well the real question here is do you really want to play bass? Is it worth spending the money on, or are you going to get more use and enjoyment out of an acoustic guitar? Do you want a bass to learn to play bass, or do you want a bass just to have one?

As for the money, $300-$400 will get you some really good starter gear (bass+amp). Any less than that and you'll want to go used to get some decent quality stuff.

hmmm well i do really want to learn bass, not just to have. but Im not sure if i should spend the money on it right now or an acoustic guitar, because I can get a nice woods acoustic at my local music store for only $150
Quote by the_perdestrian
as someone who plays bass electric and acoustic guitar, I have one REALLY important question for you. what are some bands that you like?

Oh that is a very hard question, Ill tell you i like everything from the Killers, Muse (whose bassist is awesome) White stripes to August Burns Red, from blues to rock or metal or anything really. One reason I think getting a bass would be a cool idea is cuz I could play genres other then rock with it. I mean you can with guitar too, but guitar does not necessarily play in all styles of music.
As a drummer I'm sure you appreciate a good drum/bass jam session. That to me is the biggest and most fun part of playing bass, locking in with the drummer and fellow musicians. Acoustic guitar is more of a campfire/sing along instrument (unless you're learning like classical or flamenco styles). I play both and appreciate the different characteristics of each instrument. All in all the defining factor for you would be what you want to do with the instrument.
no sig for joo
Quote by matttehbassist
As a drummer I'm sure you appreciate a good drum/bass jam session. That to me is the biggest and most fun part of playing bass, locking in with the drummer and fellow musicians. Acoustic guitar is more of a campfire/sing along instrument (unless you're learning like classical or flamenco styles). I play both and appreciate the different characteristics of each instrument. All in all the defining factor for you would be what you want to do with the instrument.

I jam on guitar with my drummer friend all the time and we both love it, so I was thinking itd be really awesome with bass. Thanks for the tips, Im still not sure but I guess Ill try playing some more basses at the music store next time
Quote by obeythepenguin
Just to play devil's advocate... as a keyboardist, I'm sure you know all about your left hand. Personally, I think Ray Manzerek does more interesting things with his than most bassists do with both of theirs. I consider myself primarily a bassist, by the way.

And anyone who says acoustic guitar is just a "campfire/sing along instrument" clearly isn't playing it to its full potential. Most of the hardest-rocking tracks on my profile -- in my humble opinion -- don't have any electric guitars at all.

Manzerek is a crazy bastard to be sure, and he's only gotten crazier with time. But he also demonstrates one of the fundamentals of the bass. No matter what you do, how flashy, talented, or show-offish your playing is, you've still gotta keep the song held together. Manzerek's been doing that since the sixties.

And as for campfire/sing along? Anyone who says that has not heard early Kaki King. That is some of the craziest stuff to be done on an acoustic guitar. Well, with a loop pedal as well.

TS I'd say take up bass. But I'm a bit biased.
Gear:1991 Fender MIJ Jazz/Squier VM Fretless Jazz -> Pitchblack -> Way Huge Green Rhino -> Boss OC-2 -> Boss DD-7 -> Markbass Tube 800 -> SWR 4x12.

Flat wounds. Flat wounds on everything. Everything is a little fatter when it's flatter.
Playing bass will undoubtedly improve your musicianship in general than buying an acoustic guitar.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Quote by fleajr_1412
Playing bass will undoubtedly improve your musicianship in general than buying an acoustic guitar.

Debatable. I found that learning the chords on guitar and understanding the notes involved and how changing one note in a chord can affect the entire feel helped me more on my bass than if I had tried to understand it by doing arpeggios. Harmonic instruments tend to do that for me.
Gear:1991 Fender MIJ Jazz/Squier VM Fretless Jazz -> Pitchblack -> Way Huge Green Rhino -> Boss OC-2 -> Boss DD-7 -> Markbass Tube 800 -> SWR 4x12.

Flat wounds. Flat wounds on everything. Everything is a little fatter when it's flatter.
this is a tough one. playing with a drummer is more fun on both of them than electric is IMO. man I dunno, its a toss up. I guess get the acoustic now just because you can and get the bass later when you have more cash
Quick note I don't regard the acoustic guitar as a purely campfire/singalong instrument I just think that's what they're used for most of the time. I know many virtuosos exist that play on the acoustic guitar like it's nobody's business.

Just wanted to clear that one up
no sig for joo
Can you guys evaluate playing bass through a guitar amp? I know back in the day thats probably what everyone did, but is it worth it to get one if I have a guitar amp? How well can you play shows with them?
Quote by fleajr_1412

I believe that, thats yet another reason to pick bass haha.
Quote by Lukeeeeeeeeeee.
Well, you have an extensive knowledge on some instruments, get the bass and do some home recording.

I would love that so greatly lol but I dont have all the right equipment
Id like to eventually get FL Studio and maybe one of the M-Audio things, but still the money...
Quote by feelthemusic
Can you guys evaluate playing bass through a guitar amp? I know back in the day thats probably what everyone did, but is it worth it to get one if I have a guitar amp? How well can you play shows with them?

You can't do that. You'll kill your amp.
Quote by Alex Vik
You can't do that. You'll kill your speaker.
Fixed. But yeah, not a good idea.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Quote by JF-SH1
Debatable. I found that learning the chords on guitar and understanding the notes involved and how changing one note in a chord can affect the entire feel helped me more on my bass than if I had tried to understand it by doing arpeggios. Harmonic instruments tend to do that for me.

He already plays guitar, so playing bass would help him understand the more rhythmic side of a song and the structure beneath the guitar.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Quote by feelthemusic
I would love that so greatly lol but I dont have all the right equipment
Id like to eventually get FL Studio and maybe one of the M-Audio things, but still the money...

Yeah it sucks, be luck, I own a studio... Well, almost haha, But I have frequent access to the use of a studio which is under our responsibility.

But you should definatly think about it, and save up towards it, your outlook on music will change completely!
Hmm well I've heard from plenty of people that if you play a bass at a low volume its alright through a guitar amp, at least for practicing.
Quote by feelthemusic
Hmm well I've heard from plenty of people that if you play a bass at a low volume its alright through a guitar amp, at least for practicing.

use headphones.
Quote by feelthemusic

This is a big "NO." and has been that way since physics was known.
It's just against a basses nature to go through a guitar amp, and WILL blow like penguin said.

If you REALLY are struggling with the amp, and just want it for home, you can get a TINY guitar-USB interface for real cheap.