Poll: What should I do?
Poll Options
View poll results: What should I do?
Bring your guitar. It won't get stolen. You're stressing over nothing.
52 60%
I wouldn't bring it if I were you. There's a pretty good chance it'll get stolen.
34 40%
Voters: 86.
Page 1 of 2
Hi Pit,

So I'm going on vacation soon, and I'll be staying in a hotel the whole time. Which means I'll have to leave my guitar in the hotel room every day while I'm in town or at the beach or whatever. It's my only guitar and I REALLY can't afford to have it stolen. On the other hand, I can barely stand not playing guitar for a day, let alone a week.

What do you think I should do? Is it a stupid idea to leave my guitar in the hotel room every day? Is there a pretty good chance it'll get stolen? Or am I stressing over nothing?

What should I do, Pit?
Quote by Ur all $h1t
On public transport I furiously masturbate while trying to make eye contact with as many people as possible for as long as possible.
You could leave yours at home, and head into the local music store to mess around there.
Fender American Standard Telecaster
Vox Night Train 15W
An ever-morphing BOSS and MXR loaded pedalboard

"I eats more chicken any man ever seen!"
-Howlin' Wolf
I don't trust hotel rooms anymore after my phone, wallet and camera all got stolen when some asshole broke into my room while I was asleep.
DON'T HIRE RON WILSON
If you stay in a hotel worth anything, administration will know who is working that day, who is cleaning which rooms, etc. So it's really rare for housekeeping to steal from you without getting caught.

I wouldn't sweat it.
A lot of people buy cheaper guitars for travel. Maybe buy a Squier, pop some $30 Guitar Fetish tuners on it, and take that?
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
I'm sure you can go a week without guitar, it'll make it all the better when you come back to it.

Quote by CoreysMonster

I still like cho0onger more than the 2 of you

Quote by OneHappyCamper
joke's on you, i actually fuck my cat
It probably won't get stolen but if I were you I still wouldn't take it. It's better that you don't play for a week than to take a chance and get it stolen anyway.

Like someone said up there, just buy a cheap little guitar.
I'd say you're stressing over nothing. That said, I wouldn't bring it just because it's vacation. But if you really need to play it every day, bring it, I highly doubt you have any problems.

Also depends on how nice the hotel is.
Pretty sure hotel thieve aren't looking to steal a guitar. They don't know what they're worth, they don't expect to have the opportunity, guitars are relatively huge objects, and they have no immediate cash out for one. Hotel thieves are looking for cash, computers, jewelry, and small electronics, that's it, that's the list. I wouldn't worry about it.

BTW, I've stayed in hotels and vacation rentals probably over a hundred times in my life, and I've never had anything stolen. If you're staying at a real dump like a truck stop or a hotel that has rentals by the hour, maybe it's a concern, but if you're staying at any major hotel chain or half decent condo, you probably have a better chance of having your guitar stolen from your house while you are gone.
Last edited by Rt1Rebel at Jul 31, 2010,
Your username fits this thread, TS. >.>

Anyways, I would just leave it at home, if it was my only guitar. I wouldn't particularly enjoy not being able to play guitar for a long time if something did happen, but I could somewhat bare to go a week.

Also, depends on how nice a hotel it is. If it's a really nice hotel, I think I would bring it, but if it was an extremely cheap hotel, I would leave my guitar well at home.

SlayingEdit:

Quote by Kekumba

Also depends on how nice the hotel is.

Beaten to it.
Last edited by SlayingDragons at Jul 31, 2010,
Quote by necrosis1193
A lot of people buy cheaper guitars for travel. Maybe buy a Squier, pop some $30 Guitar Fetish tuners on it, and take that?

Or get a temporary squier decal and put it on your guitar. No one would take the time to steal a pos guitar.
depends on where you're staying. on the whole, I wouldn't leave anything valuable to me in a hotel room. hell, I wouldn't take anything of value in the first place.
I wouldn't bring it, you'll be on vacation man! You'll be busy having fun on the beach and everything you'll probably be tired when you get back to your room anyway. That and I just wouldn't risk bringing it. You never know.
Quote by metalcore123
I hate trying to cover up my cheese in school because the bimbo next to me dislikes the smell of pure love.

I'm bringing farts back!
You do know when people go to hotels, they often leave all of their shit in there? Like their wallets full of cash and cards and s.s card, then leave and go where ever in the hotel. Unless it's a MOTEL, no ones going to steal anything.
disassemble it and put the parts in the safe
Quote by tacaco1000
yes, babies tend to become a blue gooey liquid when kept inside a plastic bottle in the dark for a year.
i wouldn't bother taking it, if you don't need it it's pointless to take with you and risk losing it
Gotta keep my eyes from the circling skies...
tounge tied and twisted just an earth bound misfit...

>CRYPTIC METAPHOR<

Quote by ilikepirates
ilikeyou.

not hated
Looks like the Pit is as undecided as I am. :P

It's an expensive hotel. But I just looked it up and found out that despite the cost, it's a POS. Gotta love my parents' research skills, haha. So now I'm just looking for similarly priced, less crappy hotels in the area.

Also, to anyone who thinks it's ridiculous to bring a guitar on vacation - well, for me at least, it would be like leaving a bit of myself at home. I'd just be thinking the whole time, "Oh, I can't wait to get back to the hotel and play a little guita- ...oh shit nevermind. I guess I'll just... wait, I don't know what else I can do." I once went on a three day trip without my guitar. Worst lingering feelings ever. Vacation just isn't vacation to me without making a little music every day.

EDIT: By the way, I'm broke and only play acoustic (for now. this is a result of me being broke.). So even getting a cheap little toy of a guitar wouldn't work too well.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
On public transport I furiously masturbate while trying to make eye contact with as many people as possible for as long as possible.
Last edited by i_don't_know at Aug 1, 2010,
1. Buy bicycle chain
2. Chain guitar case to bedpost/radiator/whatever
3. Exit room
4. ???
5. PROFIT!
WILDCARD, BITCHES!!

Call me Patrick! My username sucks anyway
Quote by cho0onger
I'm sure you can go a week without guitar, it'll make it all the better when you come back to it.

^^ this man. Went to Cleveland the beginning of summer and didnt think I could last the week. But I survived and when I came home I wrote a kick ass song about the whole thing.
It won't get taken. I've done it before. Like they said, management will know who's working when and cleaning which rooms.

[quote="'-[NiL"]-']If you stay in a hotel worth anything, administration will know who is working that day, who is cleaning which rooms, etc. So it's really rare for housekeeping to steal from you without getting caught.

I wouldn't sweat it.
All major hotels (Holiday Inn, Marriott, etc...) pat down their employees before and after work also. They can hardly walk in with a bottle of watter is what most employees tell me.
Quote by zippidyduda
1. Buy bicycle chain
2. Chain guitar case to bedpost/radiator/whatever
3. Exit room
4. ???
5. PROFIT!

I said this first, your argument is irrelevant.
Super
Old
Cats
Are
Surprising

Many profile views... few friends...
Quote by i_don't_know
Looks like the Pit is as undecided as I am. :P

It's an expensive hotel. But I just looked it up and found out that despite the cost, it's a POS. Gotta love my parents' research skills, haha. So now I'm just looking for similarly priced, less crappy hotels in the area.

Also, to anyone who thinks it's ridiculous to bring a guitar on vacation - well, for me at least, it would be like leaving a bit of myself at home. I'd just be thinking the whole time, "Oh, I can't wait to get back to the hotel and play a little guita- ...oh shit nevermind. I guess I'll just... wait, I don't know what else I can do." I once went on a three day trip without my guitar. Worst lingering feelings ever. Vacation just isn't vacation to me without making a little music every day.

EDIT: By the way, I'm broke and only play acoustic (for now. this is a result of me being broke.). So even getting a cheap little toy of a guitar wouldn't work too well.

Did you read my first post? Have you never stayed in a hotel before?

I don't travel with my guitar because of the likelyhood that it will be damaged in transit, and that I know I will be too preoccupied to actually play it anyway. The possibility of it being stolen has never not once entered my mind.

Are you sure you want to take your car? It could break down on the way. Maybe you should just stay home, you might get sick. Live a little, man. Take your guitar and enjoy your vacation.
Last edited by Rt1Rebel at Aug 1, 2010,
Quote by Rt1Rebel
Did you read my first post? Have you never stayed in a hotel before?

I don't travel with my guitar because of the likelyhood that it will be damaged in transit, and that I know I will be too preoccupied to actually play it anyway. The possibility of it being stolen has never not once entered my mind.

Are you sure you want to take your car? It could break down on the way. Maybe you should just stay home, you might get sick. Live a little, man. Take your guitar and enjoy your vacation.

If the car breaks down, it can be fixed. If I get sick, I will get better (and even if I don't, then I won't have anything else to worry about anyway). If my guitar gets stolen, I won't be able to play again until I get a job and work at it long enough to get a new guitar, which could be anywhere from a couple months to a year or more. So your comparisons are a little off. I don't think you quite get why I'm worrying. If the guitar gets stolen, that's it. I have no backup, and no money to replace it.

And yes, I have stayed in hotels before. And it's not the staff I'm worried about - the hotel is pretty old, and probably won't have electronic locks, which means if some idiot hears me playing and decides he'd like a guitar, all he'd need to do is wait till I'm gone and break in.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
Quote by denfilade
If you remember to lock up, you should be fine. I doubt hotel staff would bother to steal something as obvious as a guitar, anyway.

Have you not noticed? Hotel staff are almost always Mexican!!!!

<.<

Then again, they're also almost always women.

>.>
Quote by Area420
You do know when people go to hotels, they often leave all of their shit in there? Like their wallets full of cash and cards and s.s card, then leave and go where ever in the hotel. Unless it's a MOTEL, no ones going to steal anything.

Those people are dumb. What's your point?
Quote by i_don't_know
If the car breaks down, it can be fixed. If I get sick, I will get better (and even if I don't, then I won't have anything else to worry about anyway). If my guitar gets stolen, I won't be able to play again until I get a job and work at it long enough to get a new guitar, which could be anywhere from a couple months to a year or more. So your comparisons are a little off. I don't think you quite get why I'm worrying. If the guitar gets stolen, that's it. I have no backup, and no money to replace it.

And yes, I have stayed in hotels before. And it's not the staff I'm worried about - the hotel is pretty old, and probably won't have electronic locks, which means if some idiot hears me playing and decides he'd like a guitar, all he'd need to do is wait till I'm gone and break in.

I'm not trying to antagonize you. I realize that your guitar is important to you. If you read my 1st post, it might occur to you that 1) The staff has no interest in your guitar. 2) Your fellow vacationers have no interest in your guitar.

The only villians that have an interest in your guitar know guitars, and don't stake out hotels looking to steal them, because they know that that's not a target rich environment to steal guitars. Do you think that thieves rent out rooms in hotels to steal things as large and as easily identifyable as a guitar? They will steal your cash, they will steal your computer, they will steal your credit, and they might try to steal your girlfriend/wife, but no way are they motivated to steal your guitar. If you are still unsure, call the hotel and ask about theft liabilty. Better yet, call your insurance agent and ask the same. You may be able to pick up a travel theft policy on your homeowner's insurance for a very nominal fee.
It probably won't be stolen. I just got back from vacation. I left my wallet, keys, and phone in the room and nothing happened to them. A guitar is pretty hard to hide if you're worried about housekeeping taking it. If you're worried about it, just don't take it and save yourself the stress. Besides, you can play guitar all the time. One week without it won't kill you.
just take an old beater guitar with you.
besides, you should spend most of your time doing other shiz, not sitting in a hotel room.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Page 1 of 2