I'm looking to buy a new amplifier, and have a clear set of things I want it to be able to do (with or without additional pedals).

Budget: $750-$1000 US, definitely willing to go used.

What I want:

I don't play often with others, but I record extensively. I'd like to be able to get good tone at lowish volumes. I am not opposed to a higher end modeler (I'm thinking only a Flextone III is in my budget), but would prefer a versatile tube amp. I don't really care if it's a combo or stack.

Tones I like/Style of Music:

I play rock and metal for the most part. I do want a good clean sound, but not too bright. I also need to be able to get a rather heavy sound for rhythm guitars. Think like In Flames (I really like the tone on the Clayman album). As far as lead tones go, I need something wailing; Chuck Schuldiner's tone on The Sound of Perserverance.

Current Gear:

For clean sounds, I use a custom Strat equipped with Fender 57/62 single coils. For most distorted stuff, I use an Epiphone Iommi G400. I also use an Ibanez RG with Evolution humbuckers. I record using POD Farm right now, and also have a Marshall MG10 and a Crate 120 watt combo. Occasionally I use a Weeping Demon wah pedal.

Thanks

EDIT: Amps I have tried and disliked: Mesa Boogie Mark III, Fender Blues Junior, Peavey 6505, Peavy Valveking 2x12 combo, Marshall JCM 800, Peavy JSX

Quote by Pat_s1t
I remember Das_Skittles made me rage hard.

Quote by WCPhils
I can't stand Das_Skittles everything he says makes me mad.

Quote by due 07
Skittles is the shit you cuntles. Slob on his knob.

My Band Youtube Channel Last.fm
Last edited by Das_Skittles at Jul 31, 2010,
Thats a lot more info than most what amp posts come across here. Give it a few but you'll have some good replies soon.
Guitars
Amps
If you are just playing at home and small venues, take a look at the Fender Blues Junior. (Around $440) it is very clean and can get some pretty nasty distortion too with the master volume. I have had mine now for over two years and would not sell it for nothing. Check out the vid's on it and also at Steviesnacks.com. You will be very surprised what that small 15w amp can do.

ESP LTD RZK-600
4 Custom Strats
1 Custom Soloist (Warmoth)
1 Custom Telecaster (Warmoth)
2007 Jimmie Vaughan Sig Strat

Callaham Hardware & Bridges
Fender Custom Shop 69's
Dimarzio Breed Pickups

Blues Junior Amp
BlackStar HT Club 40 Amp
^I've played a Blues Junior. It has the cleans, but even with an OD it doesn't have that heavy sound I'm looking for.

Quote by Pat_s1t

Quote by WCPhils

Quote by due 07

LOL, there is plenty of overdrive. Just takes tweeking the controls. Read the reviews on UG about it and what styles all the reviewers play. Try one out with these settings;
Reverb - 2
Master - 5
Middle - 3
Bass - 12
Treble - 7
Volume - 5
No Fat Switch.
Very sweet distortion tone. To clean it up just drop the Volume and raise the Master.
But not sure what tone you are looking for.
Only other amp I would even consider would be the Blackstars but thats me. Good luck in searching

ESP LTD RZK-600
4 Custom Strats
1 Custom Soloist (Warmoth)
1 Custom Telecaster (Warmoth)
2007 Jimmie Vaughan Sig Strat

Callaham Hardware & Bridges
Fender Custom Shop 69's
Dimarzio Breed Pickups

Blues Junior Amp
BlackStar HT Club 40 Amp
Last edited by JohnnyNash at Jul 31, 2010,
Check out Egnater amps. For that price you could probably get a Rebel 20 or 30 (20W and 30W, respectively). If 15W is enough for you, check out the Tweaker. It's only $399, giving you plenty of room for a cab, pedals, mic, etc.
Fender American Vintage '62 Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
EHX Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Yer pretty fly for a Canadian.
Quote by JohnnyNash
LOL, there is plenty of overdrive. Just takes tweeking the controls. Read the reviews on UG about it and what styles all the reviewers play.

So you're saying a Fender Blues Jr. has enough gain for In Flames?

TS, try a Mesa Mark IV.
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
Quote by Jimmy_Page_Zep
Check out Egnater amps. For that price you could probably get a Rebel 20 or 30 (20W and 30W, respectively). If 15W is enough for you, check out the Tweaker. It's only $399, giving you plenty of room for a cab, pedals, mic, etc.

Just looked up the Tweaker on Youtube.

I need to find one in my area to try out.

Quote by Pat_s1t

Quote by WCPhils

Quote by due 07