so im building a bass. i really want a p bass, but i love the shape of the jazz. but i want to know if theres any pickups for the neck of the jazz bass that sounds like an overwound p bass pickup. any help is wanted and thanked .
Quote by BobDetroit
It's all about the abalone. You can't play metal without it. Mother of pearl? MOTO? GTFO!
How do you mean 'building' a bass? Are you just going to buy project parts (like a body and neck) separately and assemble them all or are you going to hit the bandsaw and carve up a body? If you're doing the second, just rout the pickups for a P-bass pickup. If you're doing the first, go to Warmoth.com and have them build you a Jazz bass with a P-bass pickup.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
my chemical romance are a bunch of homos making love to a mic and you like that cuz your a huge gay wad. You should feel pathetic for being such a gaywad you gay mcr loving gaywad olllol.
when i mean building i mean assembling it from pre made parts . i cant rout to save my life
Quote by BobDetroit
It's all about the abalone. You can't play metal without it. Mother of pearl? MOTO? GTFO!
I don't know of any Jazz pickups that fit the bill, but I have a Fender FSR Jazz bass that has the old S-1 switching. It does a pretty good P-bass tone. I don't know if the S-1 switching is available as a separate purchase or aftermarket unit, though.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
In my opinion, it's not so much as the pickup, but where the pickup is located that gives off that P bass tone. With that said, the only bass that comes right off my mind is the Mark Hoppus signature bass.
Quote by Skeletomania
In my opinion, it's not so much as the pickup, but where the pickup is located that gives off that P bass tone. With that said, the only bass that comes right off my mind is the Mark Hoppus signature bass.

isnt the neck pickup on a jazz in the same place?
Quote by BobDetroit
Quote by primusclaypool1
isnt the neck pickup on a jazz in the same place?

No, the pickup are closer to the neck joint.
Quote by Skeletomania
No, the pickup are closer to the neck joint.

oh . would a slightly beefer pickup compinsate for the placement?
Quote by BobDetroit
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Lindy Fralin and Nordstrand do split coil pickups in single coil casings.

i take it thats what i want? will the tone be similar to a p bass, or would it sound like a mix between the 2?
Quote by BobDetroit
It'll sound like a mix between the two. The whole split cil sound comes from the fact that it's humbucking, but each string is only "served" by a single coil. You do get a bit of crosstalk between the two coils as well (some vibrations will be picked up by the "other" coil. The Lindy would probably sound closer to a P than the Nordstrand.
is it a vintage p sound, or like an overwound p sound? cuz i plan on using it for like punk and modern rock music
Quote by BobDetroit
Quote by primusclaypool1
oh . would a slightly beefer pickup compinsate for the placement?

I doubt it will make a lot of difference, but I have never try so who knows. If you haven't already bought the bass, I would either get a used Mark Hoppus sig, or buy a body from Warmoth.
I have a Gaffbass split coil which is housed in a single coil housing in the neck of my jazz bass.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
You'll only get the P sound with a P pickup. You might get something similar, but it won't be the same.