I have a budget of about $350 and have been interested in buying a new tube amp. I play indie, ska and punk and need a recommendations on a few amps that fit something around this. I've been looking into the Vox AC15 and Epiphone Valve Senior, but haven't found any others that peak my interest. Help me with some other options. Thanks.
I called myself Joe Strummer 'cos I could either play all six strings at once, or none of them at all.

-Joe Strummer

She had to go 'cos she didn't know who Joe Strummer was.
Quote by User_Name336

also, have you considered looking at a cheap head (a 5w one) with a cheap cab?

I have been looking at a few 5W amps. However I'm going to need enough power to play a few small gigs at parties and coffee shops. Would 5W be enough?
I called myself Joe Strummer 'cos I could either play all six strings at once, or none of them at all.

-Joe Strummer

She had to go 'cos she didn't know who Joe Strummer was.
5 watts is enough to be heard over a drummer when you push it (and if your drummer doesnt beat the hell out of their kit). i've never actually taken anything smaller than 15 watts to a gig. it should be loud enough since the volume difference between a 5 watt to a 50 watt isn't actually all that much.

the problem might lie in at the volume you need it, your amp might start to break up and overdrive. so if you need a clean section, which you probably do judging from your listed genres, you might want to get a higher wattage amp just to have a little more headroom.

do you have a pa system? have you gigged so far? i've heard of people saying their local areas let them play non miced, but from my experience, i've only had about 5-8 shows in the over 400 i've done where they let us play that way. if you haven't done any, talk to your local venues and see what they say. if you need to mic for every show, dont hesitate getting a 5w amp. if they let you play unmiced, look into a 25-30 watt amp (15 may be enough for you though).
Last edited by User_Name336 at Aug 1, 2010,