where to start...my epihone les paul elitist was my first guitar yearss ago, and has since taken a back seat to my sexy prs custom 24. sadly, ive neglected to keep it at its best playability that i know its capable of. ive wanted to add a 7 string to my arsenal for some time now, but ive decided against it because im already trying to stretch my budget for a moog little phatty and a budget semi hollow for my jazz ensemble....soo id like to get my epi back in action and turned into an instrument of mass destruction. i wish i was as familiar with the mechanics of a guitar as i am with the mechanics of music, but im not, so thats where id really appreciate some help. id like it to be set up to handle low tunings (could it handle c standard?) and get a set of new pickups for it (emg's, etc)...as it is, it has a problem with fret buzz, i really need to get that taken care of. Any advice on some good, high output pickups i could have installed on this thing? and would a technician at my music store be able to take care of these problems, install the pickups, and have it set up to these specifications? most importantly, about what would this all cost me?
Last edited by phohasmtopad at Aug 1, 2010,
a dimarzio liquifire in the neck and a crunchlab in the bridge

if u want active pickups, get seymour duncan blackouts. Also remember if u get active pickups, u need to change ur pots.
what would it run me to have my pots changed for active pickups? i have no clue about that shit lol
i dunno. ask ur local music shop. i dont think it will cost a lot to get them changed.

if u dont want to bother changing pots, just get passive pickups.
If you buy a set of active pickups, they should come with the control pots, stereo jack and switches you need. However, Les Pauls usually need pots with longer shafts and you would need to buy those separately. For easiest installation, use EMG X-series pickups. They have more headroom than regular EMGs and a wider frequency response than Blackouts; most importantly they use a solderless installation system so even a complete zombie could install them in any guitar. A set of EMG X-series pickups plus four long-shaft EMG solderless control pots that you can easily install yourself will cost less than any other set of pickups + paying a shop to install them. The only problem is making sure there is enough room in the guitar's control cavity for the battery.

The fretbuzz you're getting would be solved with a set up; I would recommend you get someone to install an Earvana compensated nut for you too, if you use standard string gauges. If you use a string thicker than 0.52 then you'll want to stick to the regular nut, although you may still need to get a new nut installed anyway to make sure the guitar play as well as it possibly can.

Really though, an Epi Elitist LP shouldn't need any work. Many people will pick an Epi Elitist LP over a Gibson LP Standard and with good reason. Playing metal does not require any specific parts, there are plenty of people who play metal on standard Les Pauls, SGs, Strats and even Telecasters. I would recommend you take the guitar to be properly set up first before you think about swapping any parts out.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.