as cheap as possible, but i need a way to record stuff, preferably in a way where i can layer 1 recording on top another (like if i record drums, then bass, then guitar, etc.). and ya know obviously i dont want it to sound horrible but ill sacrifice quality for cost. ive never recorded anything before, except with a crappy little camera, so i dont know shiz about this subject at all. can anybody suggest recording equipment i should try out?
What's the budget? If it's like $200, go get a USB audio interface and a mic like a Shure SM57 or something versatile like that. It'll get decent quality sound for pretty much anything, though the mic might not do well on drums. Sounds great for acoustic instruments and adequate for vocals/amps. Use Audacity or Reaper to record.
i use a rockband/guitar hero mic lol. It actually doesn't sound as bad as you would think. I just put mine up to my amp or drums and it gives a perfect sound for demos. Trust me it sounds really good for it being something you may have at your house.
My Gear:
Ibanez RG-350 YE w/ Super Dist. and PAF pro pups
ESP LTD KH-602
Dean db razorback
Fender Squier Strat
Epiphone goth bass
acoustic unknown brand
Digitech Rp250
Line 6 Spider 3
Peavey Vypyr 75 watt
Quote by CrossBack7
What's the budget? If it's like $200, go get a USB audio interface and a mic like a Shure SM57 or something versatile like that. It'll get decent quality sound for pretty much anything, though the mic might not do well on drums. Sounds great for acoustic instruments and adequate for vocals/amps. Use Audacity or Reaper to record.

all sounds good to me, i guess ill look into all that
edit: dude im totally gonna use a rockband mic then! cuz i have 1 haha, very convenient
Last edited by TMVATDI at Aug 1, 2010,
Quote by bfredder92
i use a rockband/guitar hero mic lol. It actually doesn't sound as bad as you would think. I just put mine up to my amp or drums and it gives a perfect sound for demos. Trust me it sounds really good for it being something you may have at your house.

i actually do the same thing. and i record it directly into reaper through my PC (not even my laptop)!

i take blankets and cover anything electronic in the room, raise the rock band mic up about 3 feet from the floor, angle it straight downward, and about 3-4 feet from my amp. works just as well as when i record with some expensive mics/interface at another friends house. the difference is honestly barely noticeable.

learn to use what you have lying around through experimentation. and honestly, i prefer the sound i get through my rock band mic when properly set up to an sm57 for guitar amps, bass, and drum kits. vocals get coloured, but some eqing afterward with some free VSTs can fix it!
Quote by User_Name336
i actually do the same thing. and i record it directly into reaper through my PC (not even my laptop)!

i take blankets and cover anything electronic in the room, raise the rock band mic up about 3 feet from the floor, angle it straight downward, and about 3-4 feet from my amp. works just as well as when i record with some expensive mics/interface at another friends house. the difference is honestly barely noticeable.

learn to use what you have lying around through experimentation. and honestly, i prefer the sound i get through my rock band mic when properly set up to an sm57 for guitar amps, bass, and drum kits. vocals get coloured, but some eqing afterward with some free VSTs can fix it!

i really didnt understand that last paragragh at all haha sorry
Quote by TMVATDI
i really didnt understand that last paragragh at all haha sorry

sorry! i meant to split that up. what i meant is that you should learn to use what you have before investing in expensive gear. it'll teach different recording techniques and you'll find tiny differences that'll give a different sound. you should experiment around to try and find what sounds you're after and what sounds good to you.

also, i actually prefer the sound of the rock band mic to an sm57 and interface i bought before. i kept it for two weeks trying to record every day with it, and got some good results. just none as good as what i got with the rock band mic going directly into the pc. i prefered the sound of the rock band mic to it for guitar amps, bass, and drums. acoustic guitar was a little better with sm57 (not bad on rock band mic though). vocals were lacking though. it doesn't give a true sound. it colours it a little, but you can fix that slightly afterward using some VST's (eq ones, and voice compressor ones) in reaper or whatever else you use.

i think that time was a little more clear!
Quote by User_Name336
sorry! i meant to split that up. what i meant is that you should learn to use what you have before investing in expensive gear. it'll teach different recording techniques and you'll find tiny differences that'll give a different sound. you should experiment around to try and find what sounds you're after and what sounds good to you.

also, i actually prefer the sound of the rock band mic to an sm57 and interface i bought before. i kept it for two weeks trying to record every day with it, and got some good results. just none as good as what i got with the rock band mic going directly into the pc. i prefered the sound of the rock band mic to it for guitar amps, bass, and drums. acoustic guitar was a little better with sm57 (not bad on rock band mic though). vocals were lacking though. it doesn't give a true sound. it colours it a little, but you can fix that slightly afterward using some VST's (eq ones, and voice compressor ones) in reaper or whatever else you use.

i think that time was a little more clear!

sorry haha the parts i didnt get is idk what an sm57 is, or interface, or VST, or eq, or voice compresser haha i really dont know anything abt techy stuff at all
okay, haha! no worries man! thats what we're here for.

the sm57 is one of the most widely used mic ever made. its usually found in live settings micing guitars/amps but sometimes used for vocals. its a good recording mic as well (not the best, but good, especially for a budget).

an interface is either an external box you plug the mic into for recording which goes into your computer, or the computer program you use to record. i was referring to the first in the paragraph. (which program do you have btw?)

a VST is an add on to the program (i guess you can call it that!). they have different functions and are way too many to count. some model amps, some model pedals, some are used for piano sounds, drum sounds, eq (bass, mid, trebble, etc - oh yeah! that thing [sorry for the bad joke]) etc. the list is endless.

what helped me understand a lot of this stuff is the recording forums on this site, and by downloading Reaper's user manual. i read through the first 200 pages or so, and skipped some to other things that interested me. i'm not saying you have to read the full manual, but at least read the important parts/about things you dont know about and seem interesting/important.

if there's anything else you'd like to know, feel free to ask!
Quote by User_Name336
okay, haha! no worries man! thats what we're here for.

the sm57 is one of the most widely used mic ever made. its usually found in live settings micing guitars/amps but sometimes used for vocals. its a good recording mic as well (not the best, but good, especially for a budget).

an interface is either an external box you plug the mic into for recording which goes into your computer, or the computer program you use to record. i was referring to the first in the paragraph. (which program do you have btw?)

a VST is an add on to the program (i guess you can call it that!). they have different functions and are way too many to count. some model amps, some model pedals, some are used for piano sounds, drum sounds, eq (bass, mid, trebble, etc - oh yeah! that thing [sorry for the bad joke]) etc. the list is endless.

what helped me understand a lot of this stuff is the recording forums on this site, and by downloading Reaper's user manual. i read through the first 200 pages or so, and skipped some to other things that interested me. i'm not saying you have to read the full manual, but at least read the important parts/about things you dont know about and seem interesting/important.

if there's anything else you'd like to know, feel free to ask!

i dont think i have a program at all, i guess i need 1 huh?
I use a $10 mic on my bugera 6262 sounds alright for youtube covers check my sig if you wanna check the quality out.
get this:

free tiral, and it never actually expires. you choose if you want to pay or not. i did only because i'm running reaper on a total of about 5 computers and recorded several demos on it. i felt guilty so i gave in! overall though, even the price they're asking is well below what i think the program is worth!

EDIT:
http://www.reaper.fm/

sorry!! i thought i hit ctrl v at bottom. guess i hit something else! my bad!
Last edited by User_Name336 at Aug 1, 2010,
Quote by User_Name336
get this:

free tiral, and it never actually expires. you choose if you want to pay or not. i did only because i'm running reaper on a total of about 5 computers and recorded several demos on it. i felt guilty so i gave in! overall though, even the price they're asking is well below what i think the program is worth!

was there supposed to be a link or something?? im a lil confused o.0
I used to take my cube 30, use the Rfier stack or metal stack for guitasrs run it line in with auxillary cable, same with bass lol and the drums i used acoustica beatcraft now i use EZDRUMMER.
-----------------------------------------------
--The GEAR--
Horizon Devices - Precision Drive
AMT D2 Preamp
Boss TU-2
Boss- CS 2
BBE- Green SCREAMER
ESP,LTD MH- 250 NT ,
fitted with SEYMORE DUNCAN NAZGUL AND SENTIENT
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------