i just saw Victor Wooten playing one and ive seen them before, He Is We had a video where their bassist was playing one and it was the first time that i saw one. ever since i've thought, "whats the point?". do they sound different? feel different? are they better? anyone actually have one and could tell me how it differs (besides there being no headstock haha)?
I was playing a steinberger the other day. it was kinda bright sounding, really light, and it makes you feel like you are both from the future and the 80's at the same time
no sir away a papaya war is on
Quote by the_perdestrian
I was playing a steinberger the other day. it was kinda bright sounding, really light, and it makes you feel like you are both from the future and the 80's at the same time

The tone and light weight comes from the fact that its made from 1 piece of graphite/composite as opposed to wood.

TS, having no headstock, headless basses have less/no neckdive, allowing them to balance very well. Supposedly they stay in tune for a relatively long time compared basses using traditional tuning machines, and the overall shorter length makes them easier to transport. They do feel different, some people (myself included) don't mind the headstockless-ness at all, but some people feel like there is something missing, like their hand will fly off the neck if they're not careful down by the first fret.

A bass being headless doesn't make it any better or worse then one with a headstock, its just a different way of accomplishing the same thing. The looks however, really are a love-it or hate-it thing.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
yeah the flying off the neck thing took the guy who owned it a while to get a hang of apparently but it didn't faze me much at all
no sir away a papaya war is on
They're a lot of fun, to be honest.
It helped me learn to play with my fingers decently, and it's nice when you're playing a sort of techno/jazz kind of music.
I think they stay in tune a lot longer. My local store has a lot of them and I played one that had EMGs, and about a 4 days later, I went back and it was still in pretty decent tune, judging no one else had played it and it was just sitting on a stand the entire time.
They sound pretty cool too. I'd love to own one just to mess around on.
They're a great "sit down, relax and play" kinda bass.

EDIT:
By the way, I like your band a lot.
Super mellow.
Any merch soon?
PROUD VEGETARIAN!

Bass rig:
Fender MIM Standard Precision Bass (Ginger =])
Gallien-Krueger 1001RB-II 700/50W Biamp Bass Head
Carvin 6x10 Cab.
MXR M-80 Bass Direct Box

Quote by Offworld92
Choice is a wonderful thing.
Last edited by Nolanrox at Aug 1, 2010,
I have this thing about headless bass's. Maybe its the look maybe its that mark king influenced my slap technique but i really want one.
A status 6 string headless with a cocabolla top. Would be my dream.

Your left hand barely has to do anywork at all while playing which is what i really like.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
ohhhh ok, i guess i'll i have to try one out to see how it is sometime. some dude was selling one on craigslist a while back for like 100 but it probably sucked haha.

Quote by Nolanrox
They're a lot of fun, to be honest.
It helped me learn to play with my fingers decently, and it's nice when you're playing a sort of techno/jazz kind of music.
I think they stay in tune a lot longer. My local store has a lot of them and I played one that had EMGs, and about a 4 days later, I went back and it was still in pretty decent tune, judging no one else had played it and it was just sitting on a stand the entire time.
They sound pretty cool too. I'd love to own one just to mess around on.
They're a great "sit down, relax and play" kinda bass.

EDIT:
By the way, I like your band a lot.
Super mellow.
Any merch soon?

thanks man . and prolly not till like fall/winter. we're heading to the studio later this month to record a split ep with an awesome pop-punk band from our area (they're called Citizen you should check em out) , so once the EP gets out im sure we'll have something.
*BAD 1980s FLASHBACK...EEEEK*

Not a big fan of these basses, though the Steinberger's sound quite nice. I like my basses (full scale) to have a bit of heft to them and headless just feels odd to play.

Plus, with all due respect to Mark King, I do associate them with the pop music of the 1980s, esp. the alleged New Wave/New Romantic/Duran Duran synth pop scene.
Arif Mirabdolbaghi of Protest the Hero plays one in the Sequoia Throne music video and he can shred like a monster. I've never played one but there must be something good about them
My old teacher had a 4, 5, and 6 string one, they were all monsters that sounded awesome.
He did mention the tuning and they all had excellent sustain.

I dunno, he never let me touch 'em, but he always said they were great =P
Quote by Banjocal
sht up u flthy librl foogit stfu u soo mad n butthurdt ur ass is an analpocolypse cuz ur so gay "my ass hrts so mcuh" - u. your rectally vexed n anlly angushed lolo go bck 2 asslnd lolol
I guess they're easier to move around on, and I guess they have no neckdive but...
But my left arm feels so lonely. My bicep twitches anytime I play one.
It's like it KNOWS
Quote by Hal-Sephira

We all have the rights to be mad

So does you
For all of you who do love headless basses, expect some headless-bass-p0rn around these parts in just under a year. Chances are good an old Steiny or a Zon VB will be added to the flock
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
The thing took the guy who owned it a while to get a hang of apparently but it didn't faze me much at all
Quote by kinah16
The thing took the guy who owned it a while to get a hang of apparently but it didn't faze me much at all

Deja Vu
Quote by Hal-Sephira

We all have the rights to be mad

So does you
I really don't know about the sound, but i mean, from my point of view they just look ugly..