so if i put a capo on the first fret do the harmonics move up a fret? and how do you do harmonics on like the 3rd or 4th fret because all i can get is a muted string sound.
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15
Epiphone Valve Junior combo
Harmonics move up a fret. If you can't do harmonics on 3rd and 4th frets then you need to review your technique.
hmmm well lets see lightly touch the string above the fret and pluck the string, is there something i'm missing?
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15
the harmonic move up a fret if you have capo on the 4th fret the harmonic would move up four frets as well
instead of 12 it would be 16
alright, but what about harmonics like in blury by puddle of mud, i can't do the harmonics on the 3rd and 4th frets??
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15
Well dunno, whatever fret it is, it works for me. It's just harder the higher you go I guess. Try picking the string not near the bridge but near the place where you must touch to get the harmonic=12 frets higher instead of picking and then slightly touching there. It will sound more or less like a harmonic, but a little different.
it sounds like your talking about artificial harmonics, its supposed to just be natural harmonics, which for some reason i can't get on the 3rd or 4th, it seems like i'm doing something wrong i just don't know what
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15
alright, but i don't quite get what your telling me to try
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15
I needed those same harmonics for "crazy train" if you're using a fender the harmonics on the 4th are really hard to get but they're much easier on epiphone
Natural harmonics are in relation to the string lenght, not the frets. So it's not as simple as moving up the corresponding amout of frets as your capo is on.

But they're likely near.
Quote by Zeletros
Harmonics move up a fret. If you can't do harmonics on 3rd and 4th frets then you need to review your technique.

No they don't - harmonic nodes occur at fractions of the length of the vibrating string. If you capo your guitar then the harmonics will all shift , capoing one fret up won't shift the harmonics along by a fret, it's all relative.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by grungebaby
hmmm well lets see lightly touch the string above the fret and pluck the string, is there something i'm missing?

Harmonic nodes don't all occur directly above the fret bars. The 5th, 7th, 12th, 17th, 19th and 24th fret natural harmonics just happen to coincidentally occur at those locations due to the length of the string. The fret bars themselves have nothing to do with where the harmonics are. Generally, natural harmonics are close to the fret bars, but that's also not entirely true. You basically have 2 options: Use physics and math to plot out the natural harmonics you're looking for, or experiment.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.