Usually I replace strings but i decided to start cleaning them instead, so i was wondering what is the most effective way to clean strings?

My bass strings need to be cleaned at the moment (theyre about $50 for a new set and i cbf buying more).

I was told by my tutor to boil the strings, bt someone else told me that thats about the worst thing you could do so I'm not sure.

So pit, guitarists and bassists alike, whas your best meathod for cleaning your strings?
Quote by Hergiswi

Once I fucked a mountain gorilla and it couldn't even tell me it loved me afterward.
Quote by spanishyanez
Mental you get my vote for making me laugh for more than 3 minutes
Once you finish using the guitar use a cloth and wipe them down. Just try to remove as much sweat and skin as possible.
I can't suggest anything that isn't a bad idea. Do what Jackal said though extends the life of your strings.

But in Australia nothing can extend the life of your strings long enough to make them affordable to buy new ones when the strings are 'dead' bass wise. Sorry mahn.
I am me. Live with it.
Yeah I know waht you mean DeAd-RiP.
I live in perth.
Quote by Hergiswi

Once I fucked a mountain gorilla and it couldn't even tell me it loved me afterward.
Quote by spanishyanez
Boiling the strings does work, it makes them feel brand new for a wee bit, id only do it to bass strings though seeing how much it costs to replace them.

Guitar strings it works but the next day theyre horrible again!
Oh ok. I just heard that it fatigues the strings and breaks them on the inside making them easier to snap, but i guess for bass thats not such a problem.

And how exactly do you boil them? (like how long for ect.) *flameshield*
Quote by Hergiswi

Quote by spanishyanez
I'm on the same boat as DeAd-RiP. I live in Australia too and my strings die really quickly during the summer
Quote by jibran
I go to the pit only to just look at your creepy perverted username.

My Tumblr
I remember reading somewhere on here about using WD 40 or something.
Last edited by Gyroscope : Tomorrow at 01:00 PM.
Quote by mental_cookie
Oh ok. I just heard that it fatigues the strings and breaks them on the inside making them easier to snap, but i guess for bass thats not such a problem.

And how exactly do you boil them? (like how long for ect.) *flameshield*

Nah it shouldny do that, at the very worst youll need to buy new strings! I was skint for ages at one point so i used the same set of strings for about 9 months, just took them off every now and then and boiled them!

And thats a no bad question man, i cant remember the exact time but id just leave them about 10 minutes and you should be sorted!

No sure about somebody saying WD-40, if you are going to use that make sure you take the strings off the guitar first!!!