Hey UG. Lately I haven't been playing guitar at all. Which is weird because up until the past few weeks I was playing a minimum of 3-4 hours a day. I've been playing for 7 years now so it's not like I plan on quiting especially not after all the money I've spent on gear but I just don't really feel like playing. When I try to play, I don't get the enjoyment I used to. Granted my life in general hasn't been full of enjoyment lately but it used to be my one escape from everything. Any thoughts?
Learn something new. Gunna get stale if you stop learning new stuff!
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
Just rest a bit.A week or maybe even a month.
Or try to play in a genre you have never played before.
Also playing some other instruments helps for me too(i switch between guitar and piano so i never get tired of each of them).
Look left <<
There's an article on Guitar Motivation.
Gear:
Epiphone SG-400 (w/Hot Slags)/Chapman Guitars ML1 > Digitech Bad Monkey > Blackstar HT-5 > Danelectro Fish and Chips EQ > ETI Chorus Flanger
Snark Headstock tuner!
Quote by ChucklesMginty
That's really for beginners.

This may not be that useful for you, but I think one of the best things you can do is play with a drummer. I know how difficult it can be to find a decent drummer though.

Sorry man
But yeah, if you dont know a drummer, what i sometimes do is just loop a drum beat, or find the drum tab for a song and play/record over it. T'is fun for me.
Gear:
Epiphone SG-400 (w/Hot Slags)/Chapman Guitars ML1 > Digitech Bad Monkey > Blackstar HT-5 > Danelectro Fish and Chips EQ > ETI Chorus Flanger
Snark Headstock tuner!
Stop playing then....do something else. There's no law that says you have to play every day, or even every week - if you don't feel like it then don't bother, play when you do feel like it.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I don't think theres anything wrong with taking a little break. If you force yourself to play when you really don't want to, surely that will take away any of the fun involved, and turn it into a chore.

I think you should just chill and don't worry about it. In a few days you'll be desperate to get going again I reckon.
try to play a different style/genre to keep it interesting. but dont just try to make things sound like ur favorite musician of that genre, ACTUALLY study up on the techniques used in it. for example, if ur playing blues, 4-5-1 progression, 12 bar blues, blues scale, etc., or if ur playing jazz, learn...well there's a lot to learn for jazz, im nowhere near an expert in that. but things are done very differently in ever genre, you'd be surprised how even little sub-genres have some different details (you'll likely play very differently i pop-punk situations than post-punk, believe it or not). really learning what makes a genre tick definitely could re-spark ur interest in guitar.
I'm in the same position man, suffering real writers block has put me on a total downer.
Top lel.
play when you feel like playing. and dont not play when you feel like playing. dont let your life stop the music that wants to get out of you, but dont force it when nothing comes.
Quote by steven seagull
Stop playing then....do something else. There's no law that says you have to play every day, or even every week - if you don't feel like it then don't bother, play when you do feel like it.

+1 - just dont play. you even said yourself you don't plan on giving it up, just take some time off and don't worry about it. go do something else to keep yourself entertained and when you want to you'll come back to it. there have been spurts where i didn't pick up a guitar for weeks but i always came back to it and when it happens i don't sweat it.
Seems that there are a few that feel the same way me included. If you are like me you need to find others to play with. Kinda gets boring just with your self.
Quote by steven seagull

This.

But it's worth noting that loss of interest in hobbies is a big symptom of depression.
i don't know why i feel so dry
Well the issue I have with just not playing is after seven years I just randomly don't feel like playing.
Have you considered joining a band? For me purposely it's hard to play guitar without having a purpose for doing it.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Try getting into a new style of music. That normally inspires me to play more. I'm in a similar situation, but I also have big problems with both depression and ADHD (back to back disorders!) so I have problems holding hobbies consistently.

Why do I feel like I mention my own ADHD in 1/10 of my posts...
i don't know why i feel so dry