Not entirely sure where I should post this, but here goes:

Over the last few weeks, I have been looking to buy a Gibson SG Standard, and found out a local music store stocked them, so I went to take a look. However, they were all out of stock for the Gibson SG, but I was told they might have some in after a few weeks.

On Friday, I went back to the music store, but they still had not had any new Gibson SGs in, but I was told that they had a second hand, 2001 model in stock, and I tried it out. After playing it for a few minutes, I had decided to buy it, for the not too bad price of £879, but that did not include the case, which was not a Gibson USA hard case, but a Hiscox case instead.

However, when I got home and inspected the guitar more closely, it turns out it has a 2008 serial number, of: 002280695, rather than a 2001 number, and that it has Grover Deluxe machine heads rather than the standard Gibson ones, as well as having a blank truss rod cover. When I saw this, and combined with the lack of the original case, I became worried that the guitar I had bought was a fake, or that it was at least miss sold, but can anyone confirm or deny my suspicions? I can take pictures of the guitar if need be.
Pics would be great. Also does the trussrod cover have 3 screws? Thats a dead givaway for Gibson fakes.
Lets see some pictures man
Gear:
Epiphone SG-400 (w/Hot Slags)/Chapman Guitars ML1 > Digitech Bad Monkey > Blackstar HT-5 > Danelectro Fish and Chips EQ > ETI Chorus Flanger
Snark Headstock tuner!
That does sound really sus. Can you get us a close up on the head stock in the pics?
Quote by BabyWantABottle
What does it say on headstock?

If it doesnt say gibson, i'll bet my hamster its fake.
Gear:
Epiphone SG-400 (w/Hot Slags)/Chapman Guitars ML1 > Digitech Bad Monkey > Blackstar HT-5 > Danelectro Fish and Chips EQ > ETI Chorus Flanger
Snark Headstock tuner!
The headstock is legitimate Gibson. Maybe they sold you a 2008 gibson thinkin it was a 2001 and stupid people ftw?
How many guitar players does it take to change a light bulb?

Twelve. One to change the bulb and eleven to say they could do it better.

Looks real, but you should send over bigger photos and ask gibson customer support, they should be able to verify if it's real. Plus the store might've just made a mistake.
What would you like larger images of? I can re take them and link to them again.

And the problem with it being a mistake it the machine heads aren't as listed on the website, and the year IS wrong. How much would a 2nd hand 2008 SG Standard be, more or less than a 2001?
Your guitar was made at the
Nashville Plant, TN, USA
January 22nd, 2008
Production Number: 395

EDIT: You bought a USED SG, the previous owner probably just upgraded the machine heads.
Last edited by consecutive e at Aug 1, 2010,
Quote by consecutive e
Your guitar was made at the
Nashville Plant, TN, USA
January 22nd, 2008
Production Number: 395

EDIT: You bought a USED SG, the previous owner probably just upgraded the machine heads.

I am aware that could be the case, but it was sold as a 2001 Gibson SG, with the original machine heads. That was why I was suspicious.
you should be able to tell it's a real gibson by playing it, to be honest
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Doomsday94
I am aware that could be the case, but it was sold as a 2001 Gibson SG, with the original machine heads. That was why I was suspicious.

Shops screw up sometimes, you got the better end of the deal anyway. My Spector was advertised as LX5 but it was actually a Euro 5. It happens.
Quote by Doomsday94

I wouldn’t worry too much about that. People who work at music stores make mistakes sometimes.
Thank you all very much for your help. I guess it comes down to if I want to take it back and get a brand new one or not, which I will have to think about, as the saving for a guitar that has a few minor compression marks and slight buckle rash vs having a brand new Gibson SG is a different matter.

Thank you all for the help.