Hey, I realise that these questions come up daily, but I would be delighted if you could help me out.

I love the plexis, the bluesbreakers/jtm 45 and also the marshall 1974x. So that's the kind of tones i'm after, vintagey blues rock, with not too much gain/distortion, just a nice blues crunch and singing sustain.

My problem is that I also need something portable, so combo is my only option. I was pretty set on buying the 1974x, but it's still 20kg and quite bulky too, but man I love that tone!

So can anyone recommend anything like the 1974x/plexi/bluesbreaker tone, but in a slightly smaller package, like 10-14 kg? I don't mind what company it's made by, and not too much over the £1000 mark if possible.

Thanks in advance guys, Daniel!
Last edited by DanielShaw123 at Aug 1, 2010,
Any suggestions guys?? I really need advice, tahnks.
Marshall Class 5

But do a couple of kilogrammes really matter if you really want that amp?
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Get the 1974. Go to the gym more often, don't settle for second best. You know you want it, go for it and just deal with the weight, maybe buy a trolley. They aren't that heavy. Get it and do a NAD so we can all drool over it. If you don't buy it because it's a little heavy you do realise that we will all call you a pussy don't you?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Get the 1974. Go to the gym more often, don't settle for second best. You know you want it, go for it and just deal with the weight, maybe buy a trolley. They aren't that heavy. Get it and do a NAD so we can all drool over it. If you don't buy it because it's a little heavy you do realise that we will all call you a pussy don't you?

+11243125

also @ the guy rec'ing a Boogie. I have one question. what are you smoking?
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Quote by Bostonrocks
also @ the guy rec'ing a Boogie. I have one question. what are you smoking?

He was just thinking "Marshallz are the suckz0rz, boogies are teh best!".
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Thanks for the answers guys. I do really want it, badly. But I would have to take it on to a bus and then walk like 15 minutes with it to the studio, just for rehearsal. I'd probably get a taxi for gigs so that wouldn't be a problem. I think it will be just too heavy for that.

Is the class 5 gig worthy? 80% of gigs I play will be into the P.A, but how will it stand without the P.A? I also seen the cornell plexi 7 watt, looks awesome, but again I don't know if it has enough volume for a gig.... Is there no middle ground amp between the class 5 and the 1974x?
Quote by DanielShaw123
Thanks for the answers guys. I do really want it, badly. But I would have to take it on to a bus and then walk like 15 minutes with it to the studio, just for rehearsal. I'd probably get a taxi for gigs so that wouldn't be a problem. I think it will be just too heavy for that.

Collapsible trolley - problem solved
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
the price of jtm combo's seem to be going down, theres one on my local craigslist for $500
so worth it