Hi UG,
more of a feeler than looking to buy, as im selling my multi fx at the minute..

i love my vc30, love the cleans, love the drive, but as you may know, its not got the higher gain capabilities, ive upgraded the speaker etc so it sounds sweet...

i was just contemplating buying a distortion pedal to give my leads a bit more 'balls' ? if that is a terminology to you guys..

budget: ermm around £50-ish used..

styles: indie/indierock/rock/grunge/punk/punkrock?

i know the ds1 is shocking, is the ds2 any good?
Your could try a TS-7 or TS-9 with the gain on, to boost it?
Gear:
Epiphone SG-400 (w/Hot Slags)/Chapman Guitars ML1 > Digitech Bad Monkey > Blackstar HT-5 > Danelectro Fish and Chips EQ > ETI Chorus Flanger
Snark Headstock tuner!
would that give it the saturation and stuff?

i used to have a blackstar ht5 and loved that gain channel.
Yeah try an overdrive as a boost first. The sound would be better than alot of the pedals because you would still be using your amps distortion. Plus the sounds you're after arent complete br00tz so your amp could possibly get what you want with a boost.
if you loved the OD channel of the HT-5, then i think its worth saving for one of the Blackstar HT pedals, maybe the DistX? I don't think you'll get anything worthwhile for £50, so its worth saving up, especially if you'll use it alot!

if you really cant save the money, maybe the EHX Metal Muff?
or, mod a Boss pedal if you got a soldering iron? Like, try copying the Keeley mod on the metalzone?
well to be honest ill be selling my korg multi fx, and then buying pedals with the money..

what type of overdrive would i need for the 'boost' a transparent od like the danelectro timmy clone? or a tubescreamer?
Quote by daverichards
well to be honest ill be selling my korg multi fx, and then buying pedals with the money..

what type of overdrive would i need for the 'boost' a transparent od like the danelectro timmy clone? or a tubescreamer?

sd1 , bad monkey, tube screamer. Depends on your taste really best to try them out with your amp if you can. Most of them will do the same thing but voiced slightly differently.
I've used a stock sd1 as a boost for years and i had no problems with it. I don't use it anymore though because i used to use a marshall dsl and now i'm using a peavey ultra which doesnt need a boost. Although i still use it on occasion when i need a slight crunch out of the clean channel and i've even managed to get some decent tones using it like that.
have you ever played through a vc30? or ac30.. i just want to make sure it is appropriate, as i cant really test a pedal on my amp ..
It depends what sort out extra gain you want. One thing is the VC30 is very very bright, so depending where you want your sound to go investing in a good EQ (Dano Fish n Chips or MXR 10 band if you have more cash) might be a good move at some point. A good Tubescreamer type pedal (bad monkey, Ibby TS7/9, Maxon OD808/9, MXR GT-OD etc) and an EQ will always help get more gain and tighten things up, but most of the genres you listed don't need a great deal of tightness, and the mid hump of those type of pedals may cause a problem making it even brighter, hence the EQ is important. Tbh for grungey/Indie type tones have you considered you might want a fuzz? I know it's not like the HT-5 but it looks appropriate for your genres.

EDIT: Obviously I play through a VC30, although I don't use the Cool Cat in my sig anymore, I have an MXR GT-OD, which I like for grit but it's got a fair mid hump. I also use an EHX big Muff w/ Tone Wicker, and I can get a whole load of sounds using the amp gain, the OD gain and the fuzz.
Last edited by ProgFolk12 at Aug 1, 2010,
If you can save a bit more you may be able to pick up a used Fulltone OCD or MI Audio Crunch Box, both of which can do what you want and both sound great, although the OCD is more of a drive and the crunch box is a distortion. You could probably ge one or the other for roughly 90-100 bucks.
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
TS9 or Fulltone O.C.D would be my suggestion, if your willing to save up. If not, ebay.
Quote by ProgFolk12
It depends what sort out extra gain you want. One thing is the VC30 is very very bright, so depending where you want your sound to go investing in a good EQ (Dano Fish n Chips or MXR 10 band if you have more cash) might be a good move at some point. A good Tubescreamer type pedal (bad monkey, Ibby TS7/9, Maxon OD808/9, MXR GT-OD etc) and an EQ will always help get more gain and tighten things up, but most of the genres you listed don't need a great deal of tightness, and the mid hump of those type of pedals may cause a problem making it even brighter, hence the EQ is important. Tbh for grungey/Indie type tones have you considered you might want a fuzz? I know it's not like the HT-5 but it looks appropriate for your genres.

EDIT: Obviously I play through a VC30, although I don't use the Cool Cat in my sig anymore, I have an MXR GT-OD, which I like for grit but it's got a fair mid hump. I also use an EHX big Muff w/ Tone Wicker, and I can get a whole load of sounds using the amp gain, the OD gain and the fuzz.

used to own a big muff pi with no tone wicker back when i had the blackstar, really didn't get on with it...

so for example if i had a budget of £80, and wanted a od + eq pedal.. ?
Try the Dano fish & Chips EQ FIRST, then decide if you still need an OD Pedal. The EQ can/will drive the front end of your amp like an OD pedal, but with much better tone shaping options. If you STILL need more drive, then try an OD pedal with it.
Ibanez RGR421EXFM, Michael Kelley Vex NV, Ovation Celebrity. Carvin V3
Peavey 412M w/Eminence Wizards & Swamp Thangs, Rocktron Hush Super C, Furman PL-8C,15 band EQ, Boosta grande, ISP Decimator, Dano EQ, Ibanez TBX 150,TC Elec Polytune
how exactly would an EQ help?
like an example what way it would help me achieve a certain sound?

yep im a noob with these pedals.
definitely a ts9
once i got one it doubled the warmth of my tone, worked great in front of a hybrid and an all tube amp. The ts7 is meh, i didn't really like it.

i would stay away from most boss distortions. the metal core is alright, but not for what you're playing.

I use a TS9 with a boss OD-3 behind it as a small extra boost sometimes, and it sounds good cause the ts9 provides the warm growl, while the od-3 gives it a very clean and natural boost. Although I wouldn't use the OD-3 by itself.

The EHX Big Muff is a fuzz pedal, not a distortion, but would probably work for what you want.

I would say not to get a distortion pedal. Instead get an Overdrive or possibly just a boost pedal. EHX makes a pretty decent boost pedal for like $40.
Quote by daverichards
how exactly would an EQ help?
like an example what way it would help me achieve a certain sound?

yep im a noob with these pedals.

The EQ pedal will have a level slider...use that as a boost to naturally overdrive your amp. Works the same as a clean boost, but with much more tone control. Most likely, you'll want a mild mid boost, but you might also want to add or remove small amounts of highs or lows. However you set it up, just run the level slider up to get you to the amount of boost or overdrive you want.

These things ( Dano 7 band EQ) run about $40...give it a try first. If it doesn't get you where you want to go, it's still useful for dialing in tone of whatever OD pedal you might get. But, chances are, the EQ will be "enough"
Ibanez RGR421EXFM, Michael Kelley Vex NV, Ovation Celebrity. Carvin V3
Peavey 412M w/Eminence Wizards & Swamp Thangs, Rocktron Hush Super C, Furman PL-8C,15 band EQ, Boosta grande, ISP Decimator, Dano EQ, Ibanez TBX 150,TC Elec Polytune
Quote by Vinson
The EQ pedal will have a level slider...use that as a boost to naturally overdrive your amp. Works the same as a clean boost, but with much more tone control. Most likely, you'll want a mild mid boost, but you might also want to add or remove small amounts of highs or lows. However you set it up, just run the level slider up to get you to the amount of boost or overdrive you want.

These things ( Dano 7 band EQ) run about $40...give it a try first. If it doesn't get you where you want to go, it's still useful for dialing in tone of whatever OD pedal you might get. But, chances are, the EQ will be "enough"

so it is a boost pedal where u can dial in all the eq, basically?

if so a boost with lots of controls sounds good to me..
get a tubescreamer and use it in conjunction with a boost or an eq, that is if you don't mind getting two pedals. If I were you i'd get a TS9, then either get an eq pedal, or you could get an EHX Linear Power Boost for like $40
I'd definately pick up an EQ on it's own first. I don't know how much gain you really want, but I find the main issue with the VC30 is it's really not voiced for anything remotely heavy. Grab a dano EQ (As stated you can get 'em for cheap) and see what happens when you dial out the highs and push the bottom end, then use the amp gain and see what it's like. Then I'd probably get a TS7 just to tighten it. A V1 dano cool cat drive would be great as well, being very transparent. You should be able to pick up a TOD or a TS7 and a Fish n Chips for ~ £60-80