Page 1 of 2
Hey UG, recently bought a Peavey 6505 112 combo. Seem to be having a few problems with it so far. First of all, tried playing it without any effects.

First problem was the lead channel, seemed to be there was no 'attack' to the sound, it was a very blunt sound regardless of how much a tweaked the high on it or how much more gain i put in.

(Settings for the 'dull' sound)
Post-4.5
Pre-8.6
Low-7.5
Mid-3.0
High-8.5

I guessed the problem was not pushing the tubes but im not sure how high i need it put it for it to change the sound. Had pre around 8-9 and post on 4.5 still the same very dull sound.

So what I did was change the channel to clean. Put my GT-10 through it with the following.

Settings
Post-6
pre-0
low-0
mid-0
high-0

Ok so for it on post-6 its very low volume. If im going to gig with the GT-10 i need more volume through this so i started turning up the pre. But this interferes a lot with the GT-10 and it has 2 different pre-amps going through it (one on the GT-10 and one on the Peavey) I dont want the one on the Peavey going through as it doesn't sound good at all.

Also on another note. When i have the settings going through the GT-10 it seems to still have that dull sound when playing riffs. Seems like there's a lack of high on the low notes.

Sorry if this didn't make much sense :P hopefully someone can decipher what I said and help me

Basically what i want out of this amp is a good sound. at a high volume. Having problems :S
Gear;
Ibanez RG7321
ESP Guitars LTD F-100FM
Spider II 30w
Boss GT-10
Dunlop Wah-wah
Peavey 6505 112 Combo
Last edited by Dluxftw at Aug 1, 2010,
a 6505 doesnt need to have pushed tubes to sound good, infact its designed not to. its gets its gain from its preamp circuit.
Quote by travs2448
is the puppy solid state or tube?

Quote by diceksox1809
solid state. when she screams it pisses me off

^

Quote by GrizzlyFnAdams6
Dimebag had s*** tone and that guitar plays like an abortion. Come at me, bro!

Quote by jpatan
It's because Garth Brooks brings the ****in' br00tz.
Yeah I'm wondering if theres something wrong with my amp or something because im getting such a bad sound from it. I mean im getting a better sound from my spider II with nothing going through it >_>; and thats saying something
Gear;
Ibanez RG7321
ESP Guitars LTD F-100FM
Spider II 30w
Boss GT-10
Dunlop Wah-wah
Peavey 6505 112 Combo
Quote by Dluxftw
(Settings for the 'dull' sound)
Post-4.5
Pre-8.6
Low-7.5
Mid-3.0
High-8.5

Those are your problems.

Add mids, turn bass and treble back a bit and you won't need more gain than about 5-6, even for death metal and stuff like that. Maybe also try adding some presence and taking out some resonance (if you amp has those controls).

Also check if your cables are OK and your guitar's tone knob is not turned down.

EDIT: Try playing the amp without the Multi-FX too.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Maybe it's time for a pickup change?
Gear
Bugera 6262 Head
Harley Benton G212 Vintage
Ibanez RGA 121 Prestige
ESP LTD DJ600
Fender USA Stratecaster
Maxon O808
TC Electronic Flashback Delay
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss T-U3 Tuner Pedal
Pre is gain right? What is post?
Quote by tubetime86
Generally when I step in something utterly foul, such as dog shit, I take care of it before even entering my house
Quote by tubetime86
As a poorly trained, and grossly underqualified psychologist I suggest you lick the sole of all the shoes you own and get over it.
Quote by pedroskins
Pre is gain right? What is post?

Post is the volume control.
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by JesusCrisp
Those are your problems.

Add mids, turn bass and treble back a bit and you won't need more gain than about 5-6, even for death metal and stuff like that. Maybe also try adding some presence and taking out some resonance (if you amp has those controls).

Also check if your cables are OK and your guitar's tone knob is not turned down.

EDIT: Try playing the amp without the Multi-FX too.

yeah your mids are too low for you guitar to have an "attack" or a "full" sound...the guitar is a mid voiced instrument,I never understood why some people turn the mid down 0
Hm i'll try putting the gain down a bit and a bit more mid. Not sure about my pickups tho, i mean i can get a decent sound out of them with other setups, they are stock pickups and they aren't the best but not sure if thats the real prob. How much do cables impact on the sound? I mean can decent cables make a noticeable different?
Gear;
Ibanez RG7321
ESP Guitars LTD F-100FM
Spider II 30w
Boss GT-10
Dunlop Wah-wah
Peavey 6505 112 Combo
Quote by Dluxftw
Hm i'll try putting the gain down a bit and a bit more mid. Not sure about my pickups tho, i mean i can get a decent sound out of them with other setups, they are stock pickups and they aren't the best but not sure if thats the real prob. How much do cables impact on the sound? I mean can decent cables make a noticeable different?

Cables make an impact on your tone, but that doesn't mean you need 100$ cables to get nice sounds.

What I mean is that a broken cable can make your tone sound like crap.
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by Dluxftw

Different cables have different capacitances and resistances. They can sound different, but the differences are gonna be small and not necessarily good (or bad). Some people use those curled up cables to get a smoother sound (I think Hendrix used them), but those are "extreme" cables. Normal cables will not have much difference between them.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Hmm yeah doesn't seem to be the cable. Tried playing with high,mid,low and pre all at 5 still getting a very bad sound from it. Ok I think i have the best way of describing the sound.

It sounds very digitalised, fuzzy, no depth. No idea why this is... I mean a mate of mine said before i got the amp the distortion you get from the Peavey is supposed to be brutal and u dont need the multi-fx for anything but delay,chorus etc. Really not getting it and I dunno why.
Gear;
Ibanez RG7321
ESP Guitars LTD F-100FM
Spider II 30w
Boss GT-10
Dunlop Wah-wah
Peavey 6505 112 Combo
Last edited by Dluxftw at Aug 1, 2010,
Man...if you've got the gain on 5 then it's still way too high.

I've never had the gain over 3 on a 5150 before it got overgained. Where have you got the presence and resonance set?

And you won't need any pedals to get a good gain sound out of a 6505, to get the best of it you'll probably want a boost, but it's not a neccessity to get a decent sound.
Guitars: PRS Custom 24, PRS EG3, PRS Santana SE, PRS Tremonti SE, ESP-LTD M-200FM

Acoustics: Maton EM225C, Washburn WD-42S, Ovation Tangent

Amps: Peavey 5150 Mk 1, Randall V2, Marshall JCM2000 DSL100

Cab: Framus FR212
It could also be a problem with the tubes. Either they just dont produce the sound your looking for or they might need replacing. If you dont mind spending a bit more money you could try new power tubes. Although I find it hard to believe the tubes would already be dying if you bought the amp new.
Might be the tubes. I mean i got the amp cheap so I have doubts in my mind that its 100% new. Any suggestions on what tubes to go for? I dont mind putting money into it if it's going to sound good.
Gear;
Ibanez RG7321
ESP Guitars LTD F-100FM
Spider II 30w
Boss GT-10
Dunlop Wah-wah
Peavey 6505 112 Combo
I dont have much experience with 6L6 type amps, but I tend to prefer JJ tubes for my 6V6 and EL34 amps

Edit: Also check out TAD tubes
Last edited by Fly-By-Night at Aug 1, 2010,
yeah i think it mostly sounds like the tubes might need replacing

where did you buy the amp?(since you said it was recent)
it may have been a floor model that was on the floor for a while and used by a lot of people if you bought it somewhere like guitar center. and i've seen plenty of people who don't know what there doing going in there trying to play an all tube amp and not letting the tubes warm up and stuff
Got the amp from dolphin music, got it from them because of the price and also they had a LOT of good reviews from their products. Pretty sure the tubes were warm enough. I mean i could feel the heat coming off them. I know the amp was a refurbished model and they were selling it about £150 cheaper. Seems like they ripped me off now, depends if the amp needs over £150 worth of repairs for it to work right I guess. I have no idea how much tubes are to buy and what tubes are decent.

Could anyone give advice on the tubes? Like how much they'd cost and what to buy. Need to make the decision soon before the 12day full refund runs out
Gear;
Ibanez RG7321
ESP Guitars LTD F-100FM
Spider II 30w
Boss GT-10
Dunlop Wah-wah
Peavey 6505 112 Combo
A big issue that people have with the 6505 1x12 is the stock speaker. In all honesty, I would swap the speaker out before I touched the tubes.

All that aside, having all your settings at 5 on the Lead channel (including presence/resonance) should be giving you a usable tone.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
Quote by archenemyfan
yeah your mids are too low for you guitar to have an "attack" or a "full" sound...the guitar is a mid voiced instrument,I never understood why some people turn the mid down 0

Because some amps, like the 6505 and Mesa Mark series, are voiced with alot of mids to start with.

That said, turning them up a tad should help, but I wouldn't go past 4 or 5. Also roll back your gain.

Start with everything at 5 as the gentleman above me suggested and tweak from there.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Is there any way you can get a sound clip for us?
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Fryette Sig: X
Randall RM4 /w Modded modules
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
Quote by DrNick
A big issue that people have with the 6505 1x12 is the stock speaker. In all honesty, I would swap the speaker out before I touched the tubes.

All that aside, having all your settings at 5 on the Lead channel (including presence/resonance) should be giving you a usable tone.

The stock speaker is harsh and trebly which WOULD NOT give him a dull tone.

To TS/OP:

What are your resonance and presence settings for each channel?

(and as others have said, up your mids and try it without your muti fx).

Sounds like a power tube issue to me.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG7421 (MIJ) Dimarzio SD-7/AN-7
ESP LTD EC407 (stock)
Ibanez S320 (Tone Zone/PAF Pro)
ESP LTD EC1000 (stock)
Seagull C-6 Concert Acoustic
Godin MultiAc Nylon Encore

Amps:
Peavey 6505
Peavey 6505+
Marshall DSL100
Mesa Boogie Tremoverb
Mesa Boogie 412 Rectifier Standard Cab
Randall Iso112

Pedals:
Horizon Devices Precision Overdrive
ISP Decimator
Maxon OD808
MXR Carbon Copy
Shure GLX wireless system
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus
Quote by Raijouta
Because some amps, like the 6505 and Mesa Mark series, are voiced with alot of mids to start with.

oh k,thanks for the info
What color are the power tubes lighting up?
Orange is good
Blue is okay
Red is very bad

Also do they have black marks at the top?
First off, thanks guys for all the help.

Right, i tried making a clip of the sound but the only mic I have is a crap one for my mp3 player and it doesn't sound that bad through it >_>; If i had a decent mic u'd be able to hear it.

Got resonance and presence at about 4.

And yeah, the post is that high because there's nothing else going through the amp but the multi-fx with that setting. As soon as i touched the Pre it got a hell of a lot louder but it was a bad sound because of the preamp from the multifx and the peavey were clashing. I tried using the peavey preamp instead of the multifx but I couldn't get a good tone at all. Same issue as the lead channel.

Not sure what u mean by the colour. I mean, they look white to me
Gear;
Ibanez RG7321
ESP Guitars LTD F-100FM
Spider II 30w
Boss GT-10
Dunlop Wah-wah
Peavey 6505 112 Combo
Last edited by Dluxftw at Aug 2, 2010,
Wait I just realized... Are you trying to get your distortion from the multi-FX or from the amplifier? Disconnect your multi-FX completely and just plug straight into the amp, and put everything (except Post) at 5. See how it sounds like that.

If you're using distortion from the amp AND distortion from the multi-FX, it's going to sound really bad. If you're using distortion from JUST the FX, then it's not going to sound as good as it could.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
Yeah m8 i've tried tonnes of things. I was using the multi FX through the clean channel with everything but the post at 0 and it was a half decent tone with just the multiFX going through it.

What im having problems with is the lead channels distortion without the multiFX so just amp to guitar. Put everything to 5 including resonance and presence (excluding post so i dont blow my ears away) yeah as said.... very dull, lack of attack, no depth

EDIT:

Ok about the colour just put the amp on /facepalm i'd say its a yellow/orange what does this mean. Also no black anywhere.
Gear;
Ibanez RG7321
ESP Guitars LTD F-100FM
Spider II 30w
Boss GT-10
Dunlop Wah-wah
Peavey 6505 112 Combo
Last edited by Dluxftw at Aug 2, 2010,
Pics?
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Fryette Sig: X
Randall RM4 /w Modded modules
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
also make sure your tubes are all the way in, but do not touch them with your hand. use rubber gloves

like i said, orange is good, but i would take it to a professional, and get their opinion. it might be something stupidly simple, amp might just need to be serviced

also try just using the amps stock gain instead of the multi effects. i'd rather use a tubescreamer or something rather then a multi fx pedal for overdrive. i wouldn't say boss is known for overdrive/distortion
Last edited by handbanana at Aug 3, 2010,
Yeah think i'll ask my local store if they service amps at all... Not very technical as you all may know by now
Gear;
Ibanez RG7321
ESP Guitars LTD F-100FM
Spider II 30w
Boss GT-10
Dunlop Wah-wah
Peavey 6505 112 Combo
Quote by handbanana
also make sure your tubes are all the way in, but do not touch them with your hand. use rubber gloves
Unless you're allergic to glass, a rubber glove is not necessary.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

if there is anything on your hands that you get on the tubes, it will damage the tube when it heats up. this is pretty common knowledge....
Quote by handbanana
if there is anything on your hands that you get on the tubes, it will damage the tube when it heats up. this is pretty common knowledge....
No, that's false information coming from people who think vacuum tubes are as fragile as halogen lamps.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Quote by Dluxftw
Got the amp from dolphin music, got it from them because of the price and also they had a LOT of good reviews from their products. Pretty sure the tubes were warm enough. I mean i could feel the heat coming off them. I know the amp was a refurbished model and they were selling it about £150 cheaper. Seems like they ripped me off now, depends if the amp needs over £150 worth of repairs for it to work right I guess. I have no idea how much tubes are to buy and what tubes are decent.

Could anyone give advice on the tubes? Like how much they'd cost and what to buy. Need to make the decision soon before the 12day full refund runs out

I think u should just refund it. or ask them to send u a new one.
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
Quote by handbanana
the eurotubes guy says it
Have you seen the picture of that guy? He's obviously a lunatic.

Also, where exactly does he say it?
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Page 1 of 2