Hello,

I'm just curious, do thicker strings require more bending to achieve the same pitch as a thinner string? In other words, do you have to bend heavier strings further?

I ask because I've just put 12 gauge string on my electric. This particular set of strings have a wound G string. I have to bend it loads just to do a one tone bend. Is it to do with the thickness, or the fact that it's wound?

Another factor I had considered was that my stupid floating bridge moves when bending, obviously lowering the pitch.

Anyway, my mate said 'Thicker strings require less bending. It's the laws of physics.' But my guitar seems to be defying the laws of physic at the moment.

Many thanks.
Last edited by rythmking24 at Aug 1, 2010,
Basically it has more string tension. Thicker strings do require more bending because of the tension. It is probably the thickness
Thicker strings require less bending as in "distance" but are naturally tougher to bend.
Quote by Flibo
Thicker strings require less bending as in "distance" but are naturally tougher to bend.

This.

Thinner strings are easier to bend, but you have to bend them further for any given pitch.

Thicker strings are harder to bend, but you don't need to bend them as far.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Just out of curiosity, and to see what kind of difference in playability we're talking about, what was your gauge before you put on the 12s?
Gotta finish my work, then play some grooves, so I can turn my room into a house of blues...
Ok, thanks everyone for the information. Yeah, I was aware that it would take more effort to bend, but the distance I have to bend seems to be greater, rather than less. Strange.

Quote by BlueGreen
Just out of curiosity, and to see what kind of difference in playability we're talking about, what was your gauge before you put on the 12s?

And to answer your question, I was using 11s. 11-48 to be precise. Now I'm using 12-52, with a wound G string, as I mentioned before.

It only seems noticeably harder to bend on the G string. I thought it might be something to do with it being wound, instead of plated.

Then I thought it might be that the greater tension pulls my tremolo bridge more than the 11s did.

Thanks again.