Hello all, after lurking around the website for years, this is my first post on UG.com. I have a couple of questions that I would like to ask about the Fender Blues Junior, it's different variations, and tube amps in general.

I've been playing for several years now, and I feel that my playing, ear, and overall approach to music has progressed to where I really need a tube amp. I have one of those Line 6 Spider III 120W solid states, and it was awesome when I was like, 14 or 15, but now I find it just sounds too...fake, shall we say, for my liking. And I get feedback far too often (but that might be my pickups...ANYWAY).

I've essentially narrowed my choice for an amp down to one of the numerous variations of the Fender Blues Junior. I've played them a lot in store, I really like the sound, the price is right in my range, and it will fit nicely in my little college apartment. But which BJ to get? The standard black tolex, the tweed one, or the Texas Red (I know the Texas Red is a limited edition, but the Guitar Center online website says they have them...)? The tweed has a Jensen 12" speaker in it, and the Texas Red has a Celestion 30 speaker in it, that's the only difference, aside from the cosmetic changes. I like to play a lot of rock, all variations, with a little bit of clean thrown in every now and then. Which of these models would give me the best rock distortion, I guess? Or does it matter? Would I be better off getting a pedal like the Satchurator in addition to the BJ?

Also, how long can I expect the tubes to last before I have to change them? Remember, I'm a complete newb to tubes...

Thanks in advance for the help!

EDIT: Forgot to say, I'm mainly going to be using the amp for recording/jamming/very small gigs.
Last edited by jtwylie at Aug 1, 2010,
You need to change tubes about every 2 years.

Answer those questions:

Budget?
Used/New?
Band/Gigging?
Bands/Music you play?
Type of tone you want to get?
etc.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
If the only difference between each version is the speaker then you can pick which one you want because you can change out the speaker to something more of your liking. As for Tubes, I think you have to change them every couple of years if you play for a couple of hours each day. I'm not sure but it is not as often as one would think. Just like you I'm still new to tubes. best of luck and enjoy the new tube sound.
Quote by JesusCrisp

Answer those questions:

Budget: $400-$600
Used/New: New, preferred.
Band/Gigging: Just solo stuff that I play, small gigs once in a while, mainly recording.
Bands/Music you play: Any variation of rock, lots of punk, some classic, some classical (like, fingerpicking)
Type of tone you want to get: Just that good rock sound, and a nice clean. Willing to buy pedal for higher gain stuff.
etc.

Done.
I'd say pick your speaker and let that determine the flavor. Yes its easy to change out the speaker but speakers aren't cheap. It's always much cheaper to buy the edition with the speaker you want in them if you can.

James
Quote by IronFeliks
I'd say pick your speaker and let that determine the flavor. Yes its easy to change out the speaker but speakers aren't cheap. It's always much cheaper to buy the edition with the speaker you want in them if you can.

James

That might be the real purpose of this thread, now that I think about it...which SPEAKER would give me the best of the tone I want.
Look dear, our little boy has grown up!

When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child, I played a Spider: but when I became a man, I put away childish things and sold that godamn piece of crap Spider.

Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Look dear, our little boy has grown up!

When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child, I played a Spider: but when I became a man, I put away childish things and sold that godamn piece of crap Spider.

Speaking of selling the Spider, how much could I get for it? It's sacrifice will help give new birth to the BJ...
traynor ycv maybe?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well, the thing about BJs is that everyone in GG&A absolutely adores BJs. i don't think there;s a single member on this board who would pass up a BJ. I had a BJ once and it was a little weird at first, but once you get comfortable with it, they rule.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by JesusCrisp

Answer those questions:

Budget?
Used/New?
Band/Gigging?
Bands/Music you play?
Type of tone you want to get?
etc.

Piss Off!! Two years? Tosser...
Quote by BabyWantABottle
Piss Off!! Two years? Tosser...

Two years is about right for the output valves. The preamp valves about twice that. More or less depending on how often it's played.
Pull your head in, that was uncalled for.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
i used to have a blues junior. it's a great CLEAN amp, but the onboard overdrive isn't great, and by no means does this amp get heavy enough for hard rock or punk. so if you go with the BJ, then yes, you would want a distortion pedal as well probably.

if you're open to trying other amps, have you checked out the Egnater Tweaker or Rebel series? they may be just what you are looking for.
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender MIM strat with dimarzio pups
JCM800
Egnater Rebel 30
Takamine Acoustic
tons of pedals
Quote by phobiafreak949
i used to have a blues junior. it's a great CLEAN amp, but the onboard overdrive isn't great, and by no means does this amp get heavy enough for hard rock or punk. so if you go with the BJ, then yes, you would want a distortion pedal as well probably.

It will do classic punk fine, you just have to crank it right up until it bleeds, just like any self-respecting punk would.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Thanks for all the responses, guys. Y'all have re-affirmed that this is indeed what I'm looking for. Great clean, enough distortion to do some damage, with the option for a pedal to riff on some higher-gain stuff. Now it's just a matter of going out and getting this baby...

Thanks again! If y'all have any other opinions or anything else to say about the amp, please, go ahead.
Personally, I say get a model based off look since the only difference between them all is looks adn speaker, an I reccomens replacing any of those
Speakers.
breaking hearts
&
breaking guitars
Get the normal one and change the speaker if you feel the need
Also I would recommend trying before buying as there's a chance it might not be what you thought it was.

Also:
Quote by Jhachey22
Well, the thing about BJs is that everyone in GG&A absolutely adores BJs. i don't think there;s a single member on this board who would pass up a BJ. I had a BJ once and it was a little weird at first, but once you get comfortable with it, they rule.
icwutudidthar
Call me Cahum.

Squier Classic Vibe 50s Strat
Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
Last edited by ILiKePiNeAppLeS at Aug 1, 2010,
the fender blues junior has great cleans but it doesn't have much distortion. U'll need a dist pedal for higher gain. I'll suggest u try out a Peavey classic 30. Great cleans and dist. Has way more dist than the BJ.
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt