I've been learning for a year and a half and don't know if i'm doing badly or even brilliantly. It doesn't really matter, I'm enjoying learning. What I would like to know is; is there anywhere that will give a guide to song progression. A bit like, if you can play this - learn this next... but with a gradual step up in difficulty. All I've found so far is stupid people saying things like; right, you can play 3 chords now you should learn classical gas. That's no good to me or anyone else. speed and reach is a gradual thing, so it would be handy to have some help in this area.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
Are you asking for like a step by step guide to playing the guitar?

I'm pretty sure there's a ton of books about that very topic.

+1 plus lessons are good for that as well.
shred is gaudy music
I found a very good lesson at least on the music theory side, not so much strictly guitar, but the lesson was kind of designed for guitarists. Anyway, it pretty much covered from the most basic music theory up to modes, and it was very easy to understand. I'll try to find it, and post it, also if anyone else knows what I'm talking about, you can post it too, I'm not so sure I'll be able to find it again.
Quote by leg end

"Roses are red,
Violets are bitchin'
Goddammit woman,
get back in the kitchen"
You should choose to play songs that you want to to play. Try to pick a song that you like that you think you'll be able to manage but will challenge you a bit. Then start to learn it. If it is far, far to difficult for you, learn what you can and find a different song. There can't be a definitive guide to songs and the order you should learn them. You need to make that decision.
In order to understand Chord progressions and improve one’s ability to explore and learn other chord structures, we will need to look at scales. Scales are the fundamental and building blocks of chords.

Every scale has a set of diatonic chords. For example, in the key of C major. You have C, D, E, F, G, A, B, and C. The diatonic chords built from the scales are I major - C/E/G; ii minor – D/F/A, iii minor – E/G/B, IV major – F/A/C, V major – G/B/D, vi minor – A/C/E and vii half dim- B/D/F. You can also build chords from all different type of scales and modes.

Also, understanding basic cadences will also be helpful. For example, V-I, IV-V-I, ii-V-I, and iii-vi-ii,V,I just to name a few.
The other thing I want to point out is the harmonization of chords. This is another way to explore other possible chords instead of the usual chords. For example, I-IV-V chords are most commonly used to harmonize any songs in any keys; For example, in key of C. The C chord, F, chord, and G chords are commonly used.

If these three chords does not fit, you can use the ii minor, vi minor chords. As long as the note belongs in the chord, you can re-harmonized it. For example, in the key of C. The melody note is F, you would try to use the IV chord, which is the F (F/A/C). If it doesn’t work, then you will try to use the ii minor which is D minor (D/F/A). You can also try using a V7 which is a G dom7 (G/B/D/F).