Hey folks,

I just re-recorded an older song of my band's singer and me we wrote in 2006. I rearranged some parts but had to use the old vocal recordings we did with a 5 bucks mic and my guitarport , because the singer's not in town.

Would be great if you could give me some feedback on the recording and on the songs. Hopefully there will be a version with rerecorded vocals in near future.

Thanks in advance
C4C?

Take a look at my profile!
Loved the intro with the cassette noises. It's a standard tune, the kind that's been dobe a thousand times before, and it needs a few mix/arrangement tricks to keep the listener's attention. First step is to add a little grit to the bass so that it gets a little character and re-write the part so that it moves a bit more and varies itself; low cut the guitars so that they don't take up as much sonic "real estate"; the guitar lead definitely needs some delay/reverb because that piezo sound... ugh; never mind that you're thinking about re-recording the vocals, use some EQ/compression/tempo-based delay to get the vocals to sit right and get the attention they deserve (vocals are the most important thing in this kind of song).

I'd add some additional instruments for the chorus, maybe just a high synth pad or a piano/Rhodes playing some octaves so that there's some kind of lift. You have to feel when the chorus section arrives.
"If money is the root of all evil, I'd like to be a bad, bad man."

- Huey Lewis & the News
Thanks for this very helpful crit.

I forgot to mention that I used the leadguitar recordings from the old recording, because I was too lazy to find out how I played them back then by ear

I will change the bass sound. I actually used a highcut, because I tried to give the whole sound more bottom. Maybe not the best idea, but I'm always experimenting.

I don't know how to include some piano parts in there. The idea is great, but I neither have any plugins that sound good, nor can I play the piano or know how to write some piano parts. Any tips on how to do this?
C4C?

Quote by Reeen
I don't know how to include some piano parts in there. The idea is great, but I neither have any plugins that sound good, nor can I play the piano or know how to write some piano parts. Any tips on how to do this?

I like to program any and all synth/piano/string/drum parts in Guitar Pro and then export MIDI to my DAW. The good thing about Guitar Pro is that you can "program" by just knowing your way around the guitar and transcribing parts for another instrument. Now, I have a bunch of very good virtual instruments so I can get decent results. There are a few decent free piano VSTi's that I've heard of so maybe look into that.

- Huey Lewis & the News
Okay, unfortunately I'm not really up to date with the DAWs. I'm still using Adobe Audition 1.5 which doesn't support VSTi. I tried Reaper instead, but I cannot get used to this programme.

Is there any standalone piano thing? I once used pianissimo, but you can use it only for a couple of days. Anything else you can recommend?
C4C?

I'm not the man to ask about free stuff. I run ProTools and free plugins in RTAS format are few and far between so I never really look. If you run Audition, and I suggest stepping up to Reaper, then it might be best to seek out active collaborations. With all the people you can reach on here I'm sure someone will be interested in writing/recording a piano part or two.

- Huey Lewis & the News