Hello!

This is my 3rd prog metal "song". Well this one is more of a starting idea. I don't know if I should go further with that... Anyways the rythmic is weird and I have difficulties writing a good drum on top of that. I think it could fit in 4/4 but I'm not sure of that...

The intro is just the basic Idea, i'll probably throw in a small melodic lead. I just want it to introduce the prog riffing riff.

After that, the "Snarling Pig Riff", it is the keyboard that doublees the guitar with the famous Jordan Rudess's snarling pig sound to create an heavy eletronic effect.

Let me know what you think.

If you can help me improve the drums or the transitions, It'll be very appreciated! I think there might be 1 or 2 notes that are not in the correct scale and I can't find them, at some places it sounds weird (like the lead keyboards in the verse). Can you fix it?

Listen to it with RSE enabled, I've fixed the guit so I sounds good. Everything else is in midi. If you don't RSE it, raise the guitars' volume to 16.

PS : I'll critique for critique
Attachments:
Maxime Doiron - Inception (workinprogress).gp5
Maxime Doiron - Inception (workinprogress).gp4
For all those parts where you went 7/8 and then right after 9/8, why didn't you just use 4/4 all the way? (Or 8/8)
Quote by intothe
For all those parts where you went 7/8 and then right after 9/8, why didn't you just use 4/4 all the way? (Or 8/8)

I know, that's what I said in my first message. I changed the guit since the first idea but didn't change the time signature.

Anyways the rythmic is weird and I have difficulties writing a good drum on top of that. I think it could fit in 4/4 but I'm not sure of that...
Quote by intothe
Okey I fixed the first parts of the song, makes it much easier to read imo, I suggest you look over the other time signatures in the song as well :p

Thanks this is very kind. This is how I should have tabbed it. I'll change it for the verse and the rest of the song that is tabbed wrong. It was this way because the original riff was a little bit different , not just 7/8 and 9/8 alterning.

Any thoughts on the song? Do you think it worths continuing it?

Thanks a lot for your help!

PS : got any song I can take a look?

PS 2: i changed the drums so there's no 32th buth 16th on the kick... it was way too fast :P
Last edited by nightale at Aug 1, 2010,
The "Prog Riff" is very Symphony X-ish. I like the song. It's pretty good. The intro thing would make a good chorus to me. You'd have to do a little transitional riff and add layers and stuff, as well as change the drums, but it would be very good.

I changed the tempo of the entire song to 160 and I like that... A LOT more. It has more drive and more of that "proggy" feel. I think the bass doing an octave of the guitar sounds kinda weird. If anything, it should be the other way around. Have the bass playing the same thing for the verse, and give it it's own "melody" during "Snarling Pig".

I also don't like the sound of a bass being picked... that's just me though.

The keys melody is really good. Adds a lot to the song and continues that "eastern" vibe.

My main problem? It's very standard prog (I'd never think I'd have to say such a paradox...). It sounds like a simpler version of DT and Symphony X with just a dash of Death Metal involved.

I don't want to grade it since it's not finished... but C4C? "Defining a Heavenly Body" in my sig.

QUICKEDIT: What I would do if I was you, is I would do the chorus and then go back to Verse 1 for an epic solo. Just take out the lead melodies but keep the harmony.
Last edited by DiminishedFifth at Aug 1, 2010,
Hey there.

I've continued working on this song a little bit this weekend and came out with a sequel to the riffs I already had. Unfortunately I don't have access to a PC with GP right now so I uploaded the mp3 version of my song on my profile. Could you please take a look? I've raised the tempo to 140 instead of 130 and I think i'll raise it to 145. Faster than that is too fast IMHO because of the keyboard in the verse. I also continued the prechorus and add a small 3/8 silence gap with a bass drop. Then I wrote my chorus. I think it is good, but I want to know what you guys think. It is in 2 part, a more proggy part and a more dynamic part.

I'll write a solo right after this.

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/nightale/

C4C!
Just one thing to say: the alternating 7/8 and 9/8 at the beginning mathematically works out to being 4/4. It has that feel anyways. Seems a little overcomplicated to me.
Quote by dervishguitar
Just one thing to say: the alternating 7/8 and 9/8 at the beginning mathematically works out to being 4/4. It has that feel anyways. Seems a little overcomplicated to me.

Yeah that was very stupid of me. I wrote the original riff with a 7/8 4/4 alternating groove, but then changed the 4/4 bar with a 9/8 ... But anyways in the new version of my tab, I've put everything back in 4/4 where it should. Anyways, you can call it a FAIL prog attempt haha.

Quote by DreamScape
dude im lovin this. great sound and riffs. very symphony x / circus maximus sound. definitly post the full GP5 when your done!

awesome.

Thanks! This really means a lot to me because SX and Circus Maximus are among my 2 favorite bands. We do covers from both in our band (Accollade II and Sin). I'll post more advanced version of my song this weekend, because I'll have more time to work on it.
^ Yeah; not prog at all... but I do feel the need to point out that the keys in the verse are damned amazing and I want to see a finished product.