Poll: 'Free' education?
Poll Options
View poll results: 'Free' education?
My country has free education and I want it.
143 48%
My country has free education and I don't want it.
7 2%
My country doesn't have free education and I want it.
125 42%
My country doesn't have free education and I don't want it.
12 4%
I don't know.
11 4%
Voters: 298.
Page 1 of 6
Up to college/uni/other higher education or so. Of course it's not 'free' as it's being paid for through taxes and other.

Would you like free education in your country, or wouldn't you? Why?

In Sweden we have free education and I think it's great. I'm very happy about not having to pay fees for uni. I probably couldn't afford it.

Some programs here cost money, but they're very specific and you might get some sort of bursary/scholarship for it. You can get a studentloan too up to about £650/month.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
We have it. It's awesome, I'd be screwed without it.
My name is Danny. Call me that.
I would love free education even if it means paying higher taxes. I'm paying out the ass to go to Ohio State.
THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

Drive! Drive on down the field, men of the scarlet and gray...
I'm an
Engeneer
Enginere
Engenere
I'm good with math.

a0/2 + ∑ an cos(nπx/L) + bn sin(nπx/L)

ĤΨ(x,t) = iħ ∂Ψ(x,t)/∂t
σx σp ≥ h/2
We have it here, and I'm rather glad because I'm poor.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Quote by Kensai
we have free education and I think it's great. I'm very happy about not having to pay fees for uni. I probably couldn't afford it.

This.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
I have free education. I live in Dewsbury, England. And it's pretty shite to be frank. So far I've learnt to hide away under a bed for two weeks and keep my mouth shut.
They made me do push ups in drag

I'm gonna have a really hard time if we're both cannibals and racists.

Don't dress as a whore, he'll thump you.

I'm a firework, primed to go off
Quote by kalnoky7
Is it possible to dislike it?

I've met people who dislike the idea. I'm not going to list the reasons right now, I want to see what people have to say first.
Quote by kalnoky7
Is it possible to dislike it?

Well eye 4 1 did well withot fre educztion

But seriously though free eduction is great
Last edited by Duffman123 at Aug 1, 2010,
My country has it. The only downside is that now, there are too many mechanical engineers, so getting a suitable job is difficult.
The content of this signature is pretty much irrelevant
Yeah.. America pretty much sucks....
Quote by spanishyanez
How many licks does it take to get to the center of a M0lliP0Ps?

the world may never know!

e-married to KENSAI

如果你可以阅读这个,你是中国人。
We sort of have it, I forget what the precise arrangements are.
When I started uni(11 years ago, god I feel old), it was certainly free. There were plans to introduce tuition fees(about £1000/year, IIRC), but since at the time my brother, sister and me would all have been undergrads simultaneously, we'd have got it free anyway.

The only real down side to (excluding overseas students, anyway) fully state-funded tertiary education is that it can result in a funding gap between them and institutions which can charge what they like. Which is a problem especially for engineering and science faculties.
It's not "free" here in Canada, but there's plenty of student loans, bursaries and scholarships available to reduce or totally eliminate the costs. I'm getting $12,000 from the province for my year of school, which covers all of my school and living expenses for the whole year.
Quote by rock.freak667
My country has it. The only downside is that now, there are too many mechanical engineers, so getting a suitable job is difficult.

You need at least 459 mechanical engineers to change a light bulb, it's understandable.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
Quote by Kensai
I've met people who dislike the idea. I'm not going to list the reasons right now, I want to see what people have to say first.

Well, we have it over here.

It doesn't quite live up to private teaching until you get to uni. Public universities are usually better than private ones (and a whole lot harder to get in)

I think it's great btw

edit: oh and it's not completely free but affordable and there are loans that easily cover it
Last edited by kalnoky7 at Aug 1, 2010,
We don't have it, but the majority of my school is going to be free if I stay in the state for it. I'm in a program called Twenty-First Century scholars and they pay your all of your tuition if you qualify. I'll most ikely be getting financial aid as well because my father passed away when I was young. If all else fails, I guess I'll take out a few loans.

But yeah, that'd be awesome if the US got it, but that seems unrealistic.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
Quote by damian_91
You need at least 459 mechanical engineers to change a light bulb, it's understandable.

And only 1 electrician to actually change it
The content of this signature is pretty much irrelevant
I want to go to school and get a real degree, but the fact is that in the States you have two options:

-Have rich parents that pay for it.
-Go hopelessly into debt the rest of your life.
I for one think it would be a great idea, but it would be taken advantage of way to easily.
I think there should be requirements in order to be applicable for free education, but what the hell do I know, I'm still in high school
Quote by genghisgandhi
Your mom had a botched abortion, and you were the result.

Need a laugh?
Quote by MetaIronForce

._______________
||
|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|
|__LOLOMETER__|

That deserved a lolmeter

Last edited by Fadetoblack5:03 at Aug 1, 2010,
Too much pressure on the taxpayers IMO. Its nice for students but people are already having enough trouble as it is supporting themselves.
Dead soldier! Go now to Valhalla!
On one hand I agree that education at all levels should be available for free. If an individual wants to learn something, he/she should have the option of doing so and not worrying about basic necessities.

On the other hand, education is the equalizer. If everyone is equal, there would be intense competition for jobs (as there is right now, as educational standards have increased and a bachelor's degree has now become the expected level of education, as a high school degree was in the past).

So I guess a good compromise would be to offer education through the undergraduate level for free, and start charging after that.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
I wish the US had it because the costs are going to destroy me
Quote by MagicsDevil

29 internets to you, good sir.

Quote by undecided1993
Well I apologise for not taking pictures of my naked mother.

Pokémon SoulSilver Friend code:0775-6767-8676
I'm not necessarily for it; but I'm absolutely for the lowering of tuition from it's extreme prices in the United States.

Considering the status of loans in today's economy, only the upper middle class and upper class can afford to get a higher education. This is obviously a problem that seems to be overlooked.
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
ALL education should be free, especially college. But I think in order to get it for free you have to have a certain gpa. Under one you have to start paying, and if it's so low then you get kicked out.
I might just as well list the reasons why people don't want free education:

- Higher taxes
- No 'free rides' for people
- They believe it's poorer than education you pay for
We used to have it when I was at Uni and it is a tragedy of epic proportions that it has been taken away. We had a right wing government in for WAY too long.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
if my country had free education then i would have been all over it. but being poor i didnt think it was prudent to go into huge debt before i was twenty to study something i wasnt sure i would be interested in in a few years.
Emerse your soul in love

You used to be alright What happened?

Yellow tigers crouched in jungles in her Dark Eyes .
I'm a little split on this one.
I'd like free higher education since the end cost is WAY to high.
However, I don't mind if we still have to pay for it, since it keeps university standards high, and keeps people who don't deserve to be in good universities out.
Quote by whalepudding
Look at your guitar. Is it small, stripy, and honey-producing? If so, you might have gotten it mixed up with a bee.

Quote by WillPlayForFood
My last room mate came hoem drunk kicked my door in and proceeded to roll me up into my futon matress. He can go to hell for that.
I live in Texas and to get into a DECENT college it's 30k a year, minus housing and books. I'm ****ed.
Quote by rockybo
I'm making an igloo in my backyard later and smoking a bong in it.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
I wish we had it, but the UK's going in a very different direction.
The UK has free education

All levels of education in Argentina are "free". It's cool not having to worry about paying university fees. Those figures I heard on the US are ridiculous.
Gear:

- Epiphone Les Paul Standard
- Vox VT-20+

Quote by Boggy B
I'm a little split on this one.
I'd like free higher education since the end cost is WAY to high.
However, I don't mind if we still have to pay for it, since it keeps university standards high, and keeps people who don't deserve to be in good universities out.

Sorry man, I call bollocks on this one. When we had free tertiary education, University entry was based wholly on the score you achieved in high school. We got the BEST students, not the RICHEST students. You've got it arse backwards.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Here in Malta, education is not only free - we're PAID a monthly stipend of 84 euros to receive post-secondary education. We're a small economy with no natural resources so the government invests heavily on health (which is also free) and education to make the best of human resources.
Quote by dm1925
I live in Texas and to get into a DECENT college it's 30k a year, minus housing and books. I'm ****ed.

That's ridiculous, over here university's are capped at about £3,200 a year, then most charge about £3,000 for accomodation a year, and you can get loans and grants for pretty much all of it.
Not as good as my private education.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb