i was planning to buy a compression pedal and a Boss compression sustainer seemed like the obvious choice,but after looking it up online people dont seem to recommend it much...searching further in my country i found 3 other pedals

electro-harmonix black finger.....which is really really expensive!
electro-harmonix white finger.....which is less but still quite expensive
electro-harmonix soul preacher....high priced but manageable,i think!

these are all the pedals i could find here (and why would a company make 3 ompression pedals anyway?)

so which one should i get? the only ones i an afford now are the soul preacher and the Boss,but im really lost now n i dont wanna by something that'd suck

advice?
my gear is an Ibanez RG370 and a metal muff into a crate V18 amp
Quote by Matt420740
You can't go wrong with the Boss.

people online keep saying its noisy and hissy and its no good unless you do some mod to it!
i've got the boss CS-3 and i like it. No complaints really about it. I'm sure there are some better ones out there but i got it for $90, which when you look at various other pedals, is a pretty good price.
Guitars:
Martin DSR acoustic
Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Les Paul
Amp:
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Pedals:
535Q Crybaby>Fulltone OCD>Phase 90>EHX Big Muff>MXR Carbon Copy>EHX Holy Grail
You can call me Matt
Quote by Matt420740
You can't go wrong with the Boss.

sure you can. if you could get something like the black finger and got the boss instead, youd be going wrong.

im not a big compressor guy, but i know id rather save up the extra $50 and get the white finger than the soul preacher. something about optical compression just sounds nice to me. my suggestion would be to try the soul preacher right next to one of the other two ehx ones. if you like the soul preacher better, grab it. if you like one of the others better, save up!

for some other options, check out the mxr dynacomp (cheap but a classic), barber tone press, or analog man juicer.
The Boss is a POS. It doesn't have any character and it's too noticeable to be a transparent comp.

I'm not sure you're going to need a compressor, to be honest. With that rig you're already going to have a fair bit of compression from the metal muff and the amp. Is there a reason you need a comp? A lot of players unfamiliar with them get them because they think they need a ton of sustain or that it's going to be a magic 'sounds better' pedal.
the 3 EH compressors outweigh any stock boss compressor pedal

the best option out of the three listed would be the black finger, true tube optical compression....nice
Quote by Roc8995
The Boss is a POS. It doesn't have any character and it's too noticeable to be a transparent comp.

I'm not sure you're going to need a compressor, to be honest. With that rig you're already going to have a fair bit of compression from the metal muff and the amp. Is there a reason you need a comp? A lot of players unfamiliar with them get them because they think they need a ton of sustain or that it's going to be a magic 'sounds better' pedal.

i dunno,the other guitarist in my band has a high-end digitech multi FX and uses compression and his notes sound clearer/smoother and more evened out than mine...besides i dont always max out the volume/gain on my rig

but you may be right cuz i didn't spend enough time with the amp and in my room i play the muff through a small solid state amp so maybe yeah
You can go with the pigtronix philosopher's tone, it's about $170 but if your band has a good looking press kit you get their pedals for artists price which is nice.
www.myspace.com/thestalkingbutlers

Holy Knight of the Crusading Order of the Stratocaster.

Gear:
MIA Fender Stratocaster
MIA Fender Telecaster
MI? Fender TC-90

Fender Hot Rod Deville
Blackstar HT5, HT40

various pedals
Compressors aren't really something you want to cheap out on, or your just start to sound really clunky.

The Boss is junk IMO. It's super noisy, and you can't really dial in a subtle compression

I would recommend one of the following:

Barber dirty bomb
retro-sonic compressor
rothwell love squeeze

If you can't make that budet (though the barber can be found for 100 on ebay and id actually my favorite) the EHX stuff is definitely a step up from the cs-3.
Quote by Ravenfaust
Barber Dirty Bomb Is A Distortion Pedal ^

I think he meant the Tone Press