Hey, I've been playing for around 2 years, a bit more but i cant get over that last "bump" to move into intermediate. I always seem to learn bits and pieces of songs but never the full thing. When i'm trying to do a solo, i know where my fingers go but my fingers aint fast enough.

Where do I go from here? Scales? Learn a few songs 100% ? I'm really stuck and want to move on.
Thanks
Epiphone G-400 Cherry Red
Vox Ad50VT
Well the internet is really full of cool lessons and for free. Try memorizing those scales all around the neck, use a metronome (guitarist's best friend believe me), start playing around with chord progressions in various keys.
Learning songs will help a lot but it's really time consuming sometimes. Organize your practice time and really start looking into theory. Just a few suggestions out the top of my head.
Practice, practice. Eat. Practice, practice, practice while you eat. Practice when your girlfriend's over. Practice while you're eating out your girlfriend. Then practice some more.
If you're looking to build up finger coordination and speed just use a metronome and practice modes and scales.

jguitar.com has a scale dictionary that displays any scale, in any position, in any key. It's really helpful and help breaks free of playing the same scales over and over again.

Also, I seem to be much more coordinated after playing for an hour or so. Just warm up for about 30 minutes and you'll probably feel much looser.
Take lessons! If you’ve already been playing two years and aren’t improving you probably need someone experienced to show you where you’re going wrong.
Quote by polishedbullet
If you're looking to build up finger coordination and speed just use a metronome and practice modes and scales.

jguitar.com has a scale dictionary that displays any scale, in any position, in any key. It's really helpful and help breaks free of playing the same scales over and over again.

Also, I seem to be much more coordinated after playing for an hour or so. Just warm up for about 30 minutes and you'll probably feel much looser.

That, very much. I can pick really fast (ish) because of that.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
i too suffer from this "phenomenon". I can do the riffs with the chords with out too much trouble if i practice alot. But I just dont seem to be able to build enough speed for the solos. Specifically for me, I'm trying to learn the solos in mr brownstone and its so easy. I can play everything in those songs almost perfect if not perfect most of the time, but come to the solos, my fingerz just dont wanna cooperate with me :*( also, if someone could help me learn how to decipher what scale those solos are in i would appreciate it that way if i play the scale a million times a day it might make moving around the patterns easier.
Last edited by crazygnr1996 at Aug 1, 2010,
get guitar pro and use the loop that speeds up every time, i learn solos that way....
its slow but it works