This might seem obvious, but would a 200w head (200w into 8ohms, 240w into 4ohms) work with a 100w cabinet?

Thanks.
Gabba gabba hey
it will work, but you could asplode all your speakers... I advise against it.
Quote by Strato-Massacre
yeah you shouldnt have told the pit to rape your mom.

Quote by Kensai
It's not sexist, girls are just too stupid and weak to hold up doors and stuff for themselves.
Technically yes, but you would have to keep the volume down to avoid blowing the speakers. It’s definitely not something you could gig with.
jfk from "death from above 1979" does that to get his distortion sound. he does play bass but i'm sure it would work in the same way.
it could work depending on the impedance of the cab. if its a 16 ohm cab, it ought to work (assuming 16ohms is an acceptable operating load for the head; check the owners manual) quite well.

if, however, you have a cab with fewer than 16ohms (and therefore less resistance) or the head cannot operate at 16 ohms, dont play it. you will blow the speakers out of your cab because you'll be pushing AT LEAST double the wattage your cab is rated for
I really wouldn't do that. That just seems... really dumb. Speakers go boom.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Get a Behringer cab. Those things are indestructible, and rated for 400 watts.
You know, you're probably reading this saying "Hey, I'm bored, maybe this'll be funny?"
It's not. Too bad. No, I am not refunding you those 6 seconds of your life. So :P

Small mismatches are okay (like a 25W Greenback speaker with a 30W amp) but 200W into a 100W cab is really pushing it. Don't do it.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
Does the amp head have a built in attenuator? Some heads have a switch control the wattage, and might let you run it through the cab.
The damn amp won't put out rated wattage until fully cranked. Are you noobs to guitar kidding me??? If you know anything, you should be able to tell when your speakers are getting too much. If you can drive (yes 15 year old know it alls) ever crank a car radio too much and hear the distortion? Good god, you could plug a 15W speaker into a 100W head all day long. That's why there is a volume knob. On the other side of the fence, why would you buy a 300W cab to put under a 100W head? Damn, you really think an amp puts out full wattage on one? Sorry, it don't. Hey original poster, put any damn speaker you want under your head, just match the impedance. Simple rule to follow; start with your volume on 0, then slowly go from there. Don't listen to the room full of engineers that have seem to have taken over this forum. Take this from a guy that has been playing longer than the average poster has been alive......
I love all 5 (sold a couple) of my Carvin X-100b's.
^Because we're all absolute idiots, I suppose.

Uhh... if there wasn't a legitimate reason for cabs to be rated at different wattages, then your... uhh... "theory" would be true.

But obviously, regardless of how much volume it takes before you're using the full wattage of the amp, you're pushing more than the power rated for the cab. You have a 100W cab and a 200W head for live playing, you're going to end up blowing out the cab before the show is over.

Lots of people who play live use at least 100W heads. I sure as hell wouldn't be using a 100W cab with that. I would definitely want something rated a little higher, so there's a much less chance of blowing the cab.

Regardless of the volume, 200W is still more than 100W, and that's still more power than the cab can handle. A 200W head is going to reach close to 100W pretty quick...

So basically, if TS is smart, he won't use a 100W cab with a 200W head. It's just safe and easy.
The damn amp won't put out rated wattage until fully cranked.

A cranked amp can peak at nearly double its rated wattage.
dont push the volume and it should be fine. I think.
THE SOLE PURPOSE OF THIS SIG IS TO GRAB YOUR ATTENTION TO THIS POST OF UTTER GENIUS
Quote by zeek7pc
The damn amp won't put out rated wattage until fully cranked. Are you noobs to guitar kidding me??? If you know anything, you should be able to tell when your speakers are getting too much. If you can drive (yes 15 year old know it alls) ever crank a car radio too much and hear the distortion? Good god, you could plug a 15W speaker into a 100W head all day long. That's why there is a volume knob. On the other side of the fence, why would you buy a 300W cab to put under a 100W head? Damn, you really think an amp puts out full wattage on one? Sorry, it don't. Hey original poster, put any damn speaker you want under your head, just match the impedance. Simple rule to follow; start with your volume on 0, then slowly go from there. Don't listen to the room full of engineers that have seem to have taken over this forum. Take this from a guy that has been playing longer than the average poster has been alive......

Quote by jpnyc

instant lolz.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by jpnyc

Yeah, I've heard that some orange of some sort (either a rockerverb 50 or a thunderverb 50, not sure which) can peak at around 90w.

Certainly wouldn't want to be running a 50w cab under that!
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I run a 300w head into a 150w 2x12 cab. So long as I don't push the matser volume above one third, everything sounds fine; one third to one half and you can tell the speakers are working at their limit but it's still okay. Frankly I've been a little too scared to try more than half volume, but I don't see any need to bother anyway - even with the master volume at just one quarter, it's louder than you would ever need for a small gig and if you were playing anything bigger you would have the PA doing the work for you anyway.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.