Let's talk about the involvement of technology and connectivity in our daily lives of late. From text messaging to facebook, twitter, and the like, everyone is "connected" these days.

What are your opinions on being connected all the time and having to use all of these technologies all of time in order to keep up with your friends, family, and the world at large? Advantages? Disadvantages? Thoughts?
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
People expect you to be available all the time, and get unreasonably annoyed if you turn your phone off.
I choose not to be.
i dont even have a cell phone. well i do, but i tell people i dont. its a Boost. Can't be bothered all the damn time I say. I just wanna play my damn guitar and write songs, not go back & forth for hours about nonsense.
My cellphone lives in my truck. I don't text. I don't have a facebook or myspace.
I guess I have no opinion on feeling tethered by these connections since I'm not.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
I think it's great. Increasing the diversity within our social life's and I'd go to the point to say that it's almost like a biodiversity, that now we have it, we couldn't stop or life would post-pone.

Everything is running of this connectivity and enables us all to have a little understanding of everyone even if they are from a "different planet".

Quote by Lukeeeeeeeeeee.
I think it's great. Increasing the diversity within our social life's and I'd go to the point to say that it's almost like a biodiversity, that now we have it, we couldn't stop or life would post-pone.

Everything is running of this connectivity and enables us all to have a little understanding of everyone even if they are from a "different planet".

yea but replacing social interaction with technical interaction is the #1 problem with our generation (mine atleast, im 23)

the art of conversation is dead. like a guy at work said to me once, we dont talk to each other anymore, and answer questions that are asked right away. instead we get a text/message/email, and construct our responses within due time. kinda sucks really.
Quote by Lukeeeeeeeeeee.

I can agree with parts of that. My outlook on the world has changed a bit since I started talking to people in the Pit. It's sometimes eyeopening having discussions with people from all over the globe. Before I joined UG I had no idea England was full of rednecks.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by bbetances
yea but replacing social interaction with technical interaction is the #1 problem with our generation (mine atleast, im 23)

the art of conversation is dead. like a guy at work said to me once, we dont talk to each other anymore, and answer questions that are asked right away. instead we get a text/message/email, and construct our responses within due time. kinda sucks really.

I agree with big chunks of this too. I just didn't want to call an entire generation brain dead unless they had a keyboard in front of them.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by bbetances

I couldn't disagree more. I can't count the number of times conversations have been saved by something savy with technology or what's been said in the pit or twitter, or anything else.

I think it's bettered conversation, but then again, I'm 16 and you're 23 so we would be experiencing different matters.
Quote by Lukeeeeeeeeeee.
I couldn't disagree more. I can't count the number of times conversations have been saved by something savy with technology or what's been said in the pit or twitter, or anything else.

I think it's bettered conversation, but then again, I'm 16 and you're 23 so we would be experiencing different matters.

its not better , its fake.

one the phone:
wife: "what the hell are you doing?!"
husband: at a bar with loud music "uh, just havin a drink...with the guys...sorry ill be home soon."

text msg:
wife "where r u?"
husband: hour later "@ work late, sorry babe"

I dont understand how thats better?
Quote by bbetances
its not better , its fake.

one the phone:
wife: "what the hell are you doing?!"
husband: at a bar with loud music "uh, just havin a drink...with the guys...sorry ill be home soon."

text msg:
wife "where r u?"
husband: hour later "@ work late, sorry babe"

I dont understand how thats better?

I don't understand why he married a cunt that won't let him have a few beers with his friends.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by Jackal58
My cellphone lives in my truck. I don't text. I don't have a facebook or myspace.
I guess I have no opinion on feeling tethered by these connections since I'm not.

I am in the same position, though I am a little pressure from friends to be more connected. People find it annoying that I don't have text messaging and facebook. Everyone is so hesitant to make a goddamn phone call these days, let alone have a good in-person conversation.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Although this sounds like a homework thread, I'll bite.

I like the fact that with cell phones these days, you can easily get a hold of a person within seconds instead of searching for them for an hour. However, some people take Facebook/Twitter much too seriously and get insulted when people don't respond or talk to them.

Quote by Jackal58
I don't understand why he married a cunt that won't let him have a few beers with his friends.

I think, you guys are right in one point. Phone calls have died.

But when someone calls you, its twice as special.
Quote by darkstar2466

I am in the same position, though I am a little pressure from friends to be more connected. People find it annoying that I don't have text messaging and facebook. Everyone is so hesitant to make a goddamn phone call these days, let alone have a good in-person conversation.

Most of my friends are people my age (gasp) and we did not grow up with all this stuff.
When I was 18 if you had a home computer it was a VIC 20 or a TRS 80. Cellphones were for millionaires. A music sharing site was somebodies basement and we all took our latest acquisitions of vinyl for our friends to record onto tape. It's that last one you guys should envy. I don't see people doing that anymore. We socialized face to face. Not on Face book.
I see many great advantages to the internet and texting and social networking websites. Hell UG is one. But I also see disadvantages to it as well. Things that may not become evident for years yet.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
You got me there, that does sound good.

I think the argument is unapproachable now because, they internet is fine, it's us. WE have to make the effort to not be lazy and message someone on our arses and meet up every now and then.
I can agree with a bit of what everyone has said in this thread. On one hand, the internet has helped me keep in touch with a couple of friends that I would have otherwise lost contact with. For example, a good friend of mine throughout middle school ended up going to a different high school, but we still talked almost daily and met up just to hang out every now and then. Now, four years later, we're great friends and we will be roommates next year in college. This was mostly due to instant messaging though.

Facebook..ehh...I go on it occasionally just for kicks to see what some of my friends are up to, though most of my good friends aren't really too big on facebook either. Sometimes, though there are cases where Facebook is a good means for communication. For example, throughout high school, my school's student body council would send important notices and alerts through Facebook.

On the other hand, I do think it makes it harder for people to keep up a conversation. Sure, there are always things on the internet that can spark conversation in real life, but I mean the atual act of talking with someone else itself. People are talking face-to-face in real life less than before. Some people I know don't even like to call people as much anymore because of the real-time communication it would entail. Lots of people I know prefer text messaging, where there is some sort of "time buffer" between responses, giving people time to think between messages (couldn't that lead to a minor loss in quick wit?).

But yeah, we'll see how all of this social-networking turns out in a few decades

Side note: I never understood Twitter. Why create a site JUST for posting your "status?" Facebook has a status feature...why not just use that?
It's depends how you use it.

In many cases, Technology isn't taking the place of face to face interaction, it's just increasing our overall interaction. For example, if Facebook didn't exist would I go out and meet people everytime I now talk to them on fb chat? No, because often I can't go out at that time, maybe I'm doing coursework, maybe I'm bust ect. I can tell you that this is true because I only got facebook about a year ago and I certainly never thought "no, I won't go to that party because I can spend the night talking about facebook chat". In fact, events have become much easier to organise thanks to Facebook, so I've probably become more social.

As for texting, again, it's used in different contexts. If someone doesn't answer their phone you can send them a text. If you need to tell someone something but don't have time to have a long phone conversation you can text. But, again, texting hasn't replaced phone calls. It's not as personal, it's not as easy to communicate etc. For these reasons, texting won't replace phone calls.

It's all about using technology appropriately.

I also don't understand why some people hate mobiles so much. I have a mobile and most of the time it's on. When my friends call my phone vibrates, giving me a pleasant sensation as my phone is kept in my trouser pocket, and I answer them. If you "can't be bothered" to talk to people when they call your mobile then it's not technology that has led to you failing socially.

As for "people don't talk anymore/conversation is dead", people do talk, conversation is not dead, you just need to get out more.
Last edited by 12345abcd3 at Aug 1, 2010,
I use facebook to troll and make jokes..and keep in touch with my friends across the world.

I don't use my cell phone. My friend keeps telling me to get more minutes, but I say "Whateva bitch" and be on my merry way. I'd rather hang out with someone who doesn't text his girlfriend every 5 minutes so they can giggle about how she's eating strawberries, his favourite dessert.

Jesus christ Darkstar we should hang out. We could actually talk and everything. Wouldn't it be nice?