I just recently bought an Epi SG. I would like to know what sort of pick-ups I should purchase. I want something that would be good for an Indie/Alternative Rock sound with good high end distortion, not like Heavy Metal but perhaps something with a less muddy rock sound. Something that would also sound good clean. I don't want t sound like some 80's metal band or deathmetal. I wont something some what versatile with a nice range of tone. I like bands such as Circa Survive, The Mars Volta, Death Cab For Cutie, Minus The Bear... I'm sorry if I sound like an idiot here.. I'm somewhat new to the guitar world I've been playing for a little less than a year and still have learning to do.

Please only post if you have serious replies. Thank you in advance for your help!

-kmr
Whats wrong with your tone now that you want to change, also what amp are you using?
Once more, what amp do you have? For that kind of music (I also like those bands) I would want a lower wattage amp with good cleans and a moderate amount of gain. For amps, I suggest a Jet City JCA20H or a Peavey Valveking if you're on a budget. As far as pickups go, for that kind of music, you want lower-output pickups. Since you mentioned an Epi SG, you need humbuckers; I'd suggest some kind of PAF-style, low output pickup.
I'm actually looking for an amp as well. Right now I have some little 15 watt crate amp that must be like 12 years old and it sounds like crap. I could use suggestions for that as well. I'm not loaded either so cost is a factor. Thanks for the help so far. Whiteraven, whats a good brand to choose?

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/DiMarzio-PAF-DP103-Humbucker-36th-Anniversary-Guitar-Pickup?sku=302712

Would you recommend those?
Last edited by artishard1055 at Aug 2, 2010,
Quote by artishard1055
I'm actually looking for an amp as well. Right now I have some little 15 watt crate amp that must be like 12 years old and it sounds like crap. I could use suggestions for that as well. I'm not loaded either so cost is a factor. Thanks for the help so far. Whiteraven, whats a good brand to choose?

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/DiMarzio-PAF-DP103-Humbucker-36th-Anniversary-Guitar-Pickup?sku=302712

Would you recommend those?

Sorry, my friend, pickups with your current amp isn't gonna get you there. I think you should put that money toward a better amp.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
what kind of guitar are you using?

and I wouldn't suggest wasting money on pickups, it won't change your tone much at all through the amp your using.

what would be your budget for a new amp?
lol I know I need a new amp. I'm not going to spend money on pick up and still use that that was just given to me for the time being... I can probably spend around 300-400 on an amp.
Get the amp first and then the pups.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
im a fan of Duncans, all around i like the JBs for a little bite and 59s are just all around great P/Us, theres alot of good brands out there though, try some dizmarios too, they just sound organic
Kona Custom(Duncan Loaded)
LTD H300(Duncan Loaded)
LTD H400 (Duncan Loaded) STOCK YESSSS
LTD M202 BB(Duncan Loaded)
80s American Tele(STOCK)
Gibson Faded V
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Mesa Triple Rectifier (EL-34s)
and many more.....
seriously get an amp before you get pickups. i don't think you understand that pickups won't do very much for you.

and you don't need to spend $100-150 on seymour duncans, there are plenty of cheaper pickups out there that will do whatever you need. but for your own good, get a new amp before you do anything. decide on pickups later if you really have to
The amp gives you your tone, the pups are for fine-tuning. You choose them depending on what would work well with the amp and guitar you have. So before you buy pups, you need to know what amp you'll be using, and you'll need to have enough experience with it to know what pups would work with it best.

Put all your money towards the amp, play it for a month or so, then maybe start thinking about pickups.
Okay cool, thanks for all the help guys. Soo, I guess the question now is... What amp should I buy. I'm not going to be needing a half stack or anything like that I really just want a good practice amp that I could gig with. I don't want something with all the built in models and effects, I'd much rather buy pedals. I would be willing to spend anywhere from $200-300 perhaps a little more if it was really worth it. Sorry for being so lost and clueless but I am new to this stuff, I can play I've been playing for a little over a year but I didn't get into gear or anything I was just focusing on learning how to play. But now I feel its time to move on, and start getting into it.

Again, Thank you all for being so helpful and not being rude and/or immature. I tend to stay away from forums because of trolls and immature kids who have to boost their self confidence by being cruel, vicious and unkind to people over the internet.

Thank you all in advance!
-kmr
Last edited by artishard1055 at Aug 3, 2010,
Better make a new thread entirely, because people always just read the OP and ignore the rest.

State the following in the OP of the new thread:

What music you play.
Band or home use.
Budget.
Your location.
Whether you're willing to buy used gear.

So far I'm thinking something along the lines of a Fender HRD or Blues Junior with a nice dirt box would work for you. But make a new thread anyway.

EDIT: Eh, 300 isn't much, 200 is practically nothing. Now if you raise that to 400, nice stuff awaits.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Aug 3, 2010,
blackstar ht-5
jet city jca 20
peavey valveking
marshall avt(not vs)

all should be found reasonably within your price range.
Quote by alm0st a skat3r
yeah i remember when i had a good conscience. now i dont give a ****

xxx
smoke weed, drink 40's, **** titties