Ok so the guitar center I go to regularly has a 2x12 Valveking on clearence for $250, here's the catch, it turns on but there's no sound.

I asked the sales guys and of course they don't know what's wrong with it so they're just trying to make a quick buck by selling it for parts. My friend thinks it's the speakers, and we could test it by plugging into another cab, but the guys at guitar center didn't want us doing that. My first thought was bad tubes seeing as it was a floor model, but after a little looking I think it might be the HT fuse.

The question- Do any of these sound like resonable explainations as to why it wouldn't work? Any other ideas? Or should I just pass on it and wait for something else?
Me and my girlfriend were in a guitar store one day.

My GF- What's the difference between Gibson and Epiphone?

Me- (Explains)

GF- So Epiphone is like Gibson's slutty little sister?

Me- I love you.
well, to be honoust, they could make a much bigger deal if they just run these simple tests.

my guess is they've tested for that stuff, and if Guitar center can't get it to work, would you be able to?

just my thoughts.
I've talked to two or three differnent people and they've all told me they just marked it down because they didn't want to deal with it. I like Valvekings and I figured this would be an easy way to scoop up a good one without clearing myself out, between me and my friend we can fix most little problems, but I don't want to end up with a $250 2x12 end table if it's something way over my head.

Me- (Explains)

Me- I love you.
Quote by Kyle-Rehm
I've talked to two or three differnent people and they've all told me they just marked it down because they didn't want to deal with it. I like Valvekings and I figured this would be an easy way to scoop up a good one without clearing myself out, between me and my friend we can fix most little problems, but I don't want to end up with a $250 2x12 end table if it's something way over my head.

well if they said they've run all those tests, they'd never sell it.

why would they discount a valveking if it could possibly only need a differen fuse or something small like that? i can't imagine that...
Quote by Bingt
well if they said they've run all those tests, they'd never sell it.

why would they discount a valveking if it could possibly only need a differen fuse or something small like that? i can't imagine that...

That's what got my friend thinking speakers, if it's speakers I can replace them or get a cab and still get a hell of a better deal then buying a new one. What are the odds that the speakers are blown or something like that?

P.S. I know I sound like I'm denial or something but seeing as I don't have a job right now I'm stuck looking for the best deal I can find.

Me- (Explains)

Me- I love you.
OK.

This is Bull Shit. Which GC is it?

I'll take care of it

ok maybe not but gosh darn that is F'd up.

The speakers plug in with a clip. Make sure they are snug. Also make sure the power tubes are seated (pushed in all the way) well. THey come in and out strait up no twisting.

If you visit the first 6 or 8 pages of the Valveking Thread MKII then you will find of most of your answers.

yes the stock speaker suck...do not get a VK cab. Just 4 bad speakers. what is your budget, genres, gigging situation, location, current gear, etc.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Aug 1, 2010,
Budget- The cheapest I can get without getting complete crap, I know that probably doesn't help but I don't have a job so I'll take what I can get.

Genres- Classic/hard rock, some metal, some blues.

Gigging- Not now, but hopefully in the future, I'd be using this amp for home and band practice/jamming, the other guitarist in my band has a 100watt half stack so I need to be able to keep up with him volume wise. (I know I don't need 100watts or a half stack but I thought I would put that in just in case)

Location- Des Moines, Iowa. I have four or five stores within 20 minutes of my house that I can think of off of the top of my head.

Current Gear- Epiphone Les Paul Special II, Epiphone SG-310, Jackson Dinky (will probably be selling soon) Peavey Vypyr 30 (will sell to raise money for new amp) Dunlop Jimi Hendrix Wah, Boss ME70

EDIT: Anything I missed? I'm pretty much set on either the Valveking or a Peavey Classic, unless I see something I can't pass up.

Me- (Explains)

Me- I love you.
Last edited by Kyle-Rehm at Aug 1, 2010,