can someone help me? what is the difference between scales and keys and how do they work when it comes to making music or playin alng with it? any info would be great. thanks
INDIE SEMI HOLLOW DOUBLE CUT CUSTOM FOR SALE!!

IBANEZ S470 WITH MIRICLE MAN ADY SD JB PICK-UPS FOR SALE!!

PEAVEY VALVEKING 112 COMBO FOR SALE!!!

PM IF YOU ARE INTERESTED!!
When you play a certian chord progression that makes a "key" and you can use scales to solo over that chord progression or to make melodies. Like If I was playing in the Key of E I would use the A minor scale.
Gibson Thunderhorse
Jackson RR24M
B52 AT100
Last edited by King of King V at Aug 1, 2010,
hmm thats kind of tough. scales are a series of notes that follow a pattern of whole and half steps. the root note in a scale determines which key the scale is in. The major scale is W-W-H-W-W-W-H with W being whole step (2 frets) and H being half step (1 fret).

When you play a chord, there are other chords that sound good with that chord and thats because they're in the same key. For example, E, A, and D. Hope that helps, and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong
Quote by King of King V
When you play a certian chord progression that makes a "key" and you can use scales to solo over that chord progression or to make melodies. Like If I was playing in the Key of E I would use the A minor scale.

are you stupid?
check it:
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/for_beginners/learning_music_theory_the_beginning.html

questions like this should go in musician's talk. but as this is overly general and kind of vague, im not going to move it. read through that lesson and if youve got some more specific questions, feel free to visit MT.