Alright guys, I'm thinking about getting the new Egnater Tweaker. I've heard great stuff about it, and I'm wanting to upgrade to a small tube amp so I think its perfect. What I can't decide is whether to get the combo or the head and cabinet. I'm in college so I'll be in a dorm room, and I play bluesy rock stuff (mainly Zeppelin) if that matters. If I get the combo I'll probably get a reverb pedal. So, I'm mainly wondering if it would be worth it for me to spend the extra cash and get the head or if it would be just as good to get the combo and pedal. Thanks in advance guys!
Gibson Signature Les Paul
Fender Princeton 65
Dunlop Hendrix CryBaby
I'd always suggest a head and cab if you can afford it. Allows you to change the cab out for different sounds.

I actually just tried one today. Pretty cool little amps, wasn't expecting it to be that good
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Combo = more portability
Head+cab = more versatility

You decide. Do you need portability or versatility?
Does anyone know the song that goes: ba ba bah, ba ba buh, bu ba bum, ba ba bah, ba bu buh, bu bu bum, bu ba bu bu bum baam?
Quote by Peeno
Combo = more portability

Errr...

Not really.

In this case, it doesn't really matter, because both are pretty small and light. But a head and 2x12 are WAY more portable than a 2x12 combo.

Quote by salgala2000
If it has a speaker out, you can use it as a combo or a head. For a college dormroom defiently get the combo. You won't be able to turn up the stack anywhere near decent volume.

They are both the same wattage, so I don't see how that makes any difference.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
It doesn't have to be that portable because I go to college in the same city I live in, and no one cares how loud you are, unless its late. And they are both fairly small. I guess I'll just have to try them both out.
Fender Princeton 65
Dunlop Hendrix CryBaby
Well I asked a similar question before buying my Tweaker a week ago so I'll relay what was said to me. Basically the advantage of a head and cab is that once you have a cab you can just buy heads from then on out and thus save money in the long run. But if you are like me and plan on just having one amp for a while, then it probably makes more sense to go for the combo and save yourself some money for the pedal you want.

Also I've heard a few people a/b them and say the combo sounds a bit bassier, though I couldn't tell when I tried at GC (which isn't the best place to try stuff out)
Quote by MatrixClaw
Errr...

Not really.

In this case, it doesn't really matter, because both are pretty small and light. But a head and 2x12 are WAY more portable than a 2x12 combo.

As far as the Tweaker is concerned the combo would be more portable than a head/cab, since its only available in 112. I'd argue that a combo is always more portable anyway, its easier to carry one piece of equipment rather than two.

But, since portability isn't an issue, go for head + cab.
Does anyone know the song that goes: ba ba bah, ba ba buh, bu ba bum, ba ba bah, ba bu buh, bu bu bum, bu ba bu bu bum baam?
Just curious, why would you get a reverb pedal only with the combo? But back to your question. I'd suggest the head/cab. You could always get another head to use with the cab later on or another cab to use with the head.
Quote by Peeno
As far as the Tweaker is concerned the combo would be more portable than a head/cab, since its only available in 112. I'd argue that a combo is always more portable anyway, its easier to carry one piece of equipment rather than two.

But, since portability isn't an issue, go for head + cab.

It's not easier to carry one piece of equipment over two, when one weighs 150lbs and the other two weigh 50 and 60 lbs.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Well I would get a reverb pedal either way, but if I got the combo I could get them both at the same time probably, because the combo is cheaper.
Fender Princeton 65
Dunlop Hendrix CryBaby
Head and cab.

Hate to say it but the combo fanboyism on this forum is a little bit overplayed. I agree with both of MatrixClaw's points - a head/cab gives you more flexibility in terms of tone, and it's a lot easier to transport two smaller pieces than one heavier one.

I personally hate the fact that my VHT 2x12 combo weighs a ton. I only put up with it because I got a great deal and because I love the tones.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
Quote by DrNick
Head and cab.

Hate to say it but the combo fanboyism on this forum is a little bit overplayed. I agree with both of MatrixClaw's points - a head/cab gives you more flexibility in terms of tone, and it's a lot easier to transport two smaller pieces than one heavier one.

I personally hate the fact that my VHT 2x12 combo weighs a ton. I only put up with it because I got a great deal and because I love the tones.

Yeah, my Duncan combo weighs more than the combined weight of my Framus Cobra and matching cab. I'd rather try to figure out how to tote around that 4x12 than ever pick up the Duncan again LOL.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Yeah, my Duncan combo weighs more than the combined weight of my Framus Cobra and matching cab. I'd rather try to figure out how to tote around that 4x12 than ever pick up the Duncan again LOL.

Everyone who says that combos are automatically better should be forced to lug a ktre 212 combo around for a few hours.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Alright, alright... I concede.

But the fact remains that the Tweaker combo does not weigh too much to carry. I am, however, a bigger fan of the head/cab than the combo.
Head + cab. It just looks sexier .
Fender MIA Stratocaster (with SD Twang Banger)
Epiphone Les Paul Special II
Johnson Acoustic
Palmer FAB5
it's easier to swap power tubes in the head fwiw.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.