I was commenting on someone's thread where they didn't know the difference between a 9 chord and a sus2 chord, and mid-typing, i realized that 5add9 has the same notes as sus2. or am i just being stupid? help plz?
edit: oops i didnt put in the 5 in the description, only the title! its fixed now tho
Last edited by TMVATDI at Aug 1, 2010,
Add 9 adds on the second, while keeping the 3rd

sus2 replaces the 3rd with said 2nd
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
Sus means that the third of the chord is replaced with the second (ninth). Add9 just means that a ninth is being added onto the triad.
You'll find out...
Quote by pigeonmafia
Add 9 adds on the second, while keeping the 3rd

sus2 replaces the 3rd with said 2nd

i said "5add9" not just "add9" a 5add9 is an extended type of power chord. the "5" means there's no 3
edit: can nobody see the 5? maybe i should put it in bold...
Quote by TMVATDI
i said "5add9" not just "add9" a 5add9 is an extended type of power chord. the "5" means there's no 3

Damn, i only read the op, forgot the title

as in op you only said add9 = sus2

no mention of the 5
Quote by pigeonmafia
Damn, i only read the op, forgot the title

so wtf 5add9's the same as sus2?? this is perplexicating!!
I think... In sus2, the third of the chord is substituted and the chord instead has a major second. In add9, the third is still present.

sus2 = 1-2-5
sus4 = 1-4-5
add9 = 1-3-5-9

Wait, you said 5add9?
Quote by mishax92
Yes, it is, but just to keep things sensible you may as well use sus2.

indeed
Quote by mishax92
Yes, it is, but just to keep things sensible you may as well use sus2.

well do you think what mashedpotatoes said abt octaves makes a difference??
Quote by TMVATDI
well do you think what mashedpotatoes said abt octaves makes a difference??

Just different voicings/inversions bring out the different orders of the notes
Quote by pigeonmafia
Just different voicings/inversions bring out the different orders of the notes

oh ok, i get it, thnx
Quote by TMVATDI
oh ok, i get it, thnx

np
Well, you could say 5add9 when the sus2 isn't functioning, but you could be like everyone else and call it a sus2 or a non functioning sus2.

In other words, 5add9 is improper terminology. Octave is irrelevant when naming chords. The distinction usage of add9 instead of add2 and sus2 instead of sus9 came about when all suspended 3rds were almost always done so with a 4 or 2 in the same octave, and extensions were almost always done out of the root triad. Nowadays, the names stuck but the tradition didn't.
i don't know why i feel so dry
Last edited by Eastwinn at Aug 1, 2010,
the 5 is unnessecary: a 5 chord is the root and fifth, therefore extended chords, 7th chords and sus chords are exemp from being 5 chords.

you can still have power chord like shapes, but meh

eg: an add 9 "power chord shape"

D 7
A 5
E 3
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
i just dont understand why my prog rock guitar book taught me 5add9 chords:
135xxx
and sus2 chords, which have a lot of different shapes. it taught me in different ways and said they were for different purposes and then i kind of found out on my own that they're the same notes
Guitar books are a terrible source for learning music theory. Take anything in them with a mountain of salt.
i don't know why i feel so dry
Quote by TMVATDI
i just dont understand why my prog rock guitar book taught me 5add9 chords:
135xxx
and sus2 chords, which have a lot of different shapes. it taught me in different ways and said they were for different purposes and then i kind of found out on my own that they're the same notes

It's right in that they're used for different purposes (if you want to get specific)... but 5add9 chords are the same as sus2, so I'd just say sus2.
Dim5th is right. There is absolutely no reason why you would call call a chord 5add9 instead of sus2, unless your goal is to confuse the hell out of everyone. That's like calling a Em9 an Em7add9. It has nothing to do with the voicing.

Generally speaking, sus2 and sus4 chords use 9 and 11's very often anyway. Just picture any commonly used examples in songs. ie. Asus2 <x02200>, Dsus4 <xx0233> and the barre chord shapes; sus2 <x35533>, sus4 <x35563>. The voicing just sounds better voiced in the higher octave because it clashes less with root.

Still I've seen some add9/11 chords that are voiced in the lower octave, ie. <x5403x>, and sometimes they're written for example as Dadd4 while sometimes they remain they're originally name despite the voicing.
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
Last edited by Wiegenlied at Aug 2, 2010,