I was wondering, how is the best way to go about playing like them? I'm not a neo classical person,(yngwie) however I want to be able to shred like them. How can I learn? I would like to learn yngwie's songs but tabs on this site are bad enough and I would try my ear but the speed he's playing it'd be hard... I'm mainly looking at soloing like them, yngwie seems like all he does is shred and he's very good, however I'm more of a riff kinda guy like Jason Becker or MAB. thanks, CJ
To play like Jason is impossible. I need to crush your dreams here. You need to have tons of talent to play and compose such songs but, to play the type of music that he plays you should learn some scales: those exotic and egyptian scales, lydian, dorian, harmonic minor and such. If you wanna play some nice stuff like Jason, you should master the art of sweep picking cause you'll need arpeggios.
For Yngwie and MAB, I have no f**king idea how they shred like that but you obviously must have a fast right hand.

Hope that this helps dude.
Practise legato on the major scale (the 3-5-7, 3-5-7, 4-5-7, 4-5-7, 5-7-8, 5-7-8) for 6 months to get good technique, spend 5 minuites on each shape, doing legato and being as precise as possible at 60bpm (1 note per click) do this speed for a week, then move up 10-30 bpm etc etc every few weeks. Shake your left hand when you feel latic acid, this is criticial. After 2 weeks of legato try the same thing for sweeping arpegios and other modes.

this should give you solid tecnhique and eventually speed to play some shred stuff well and clean.
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
Quote by Shredx
Practise legato on the major scale (the 3-5-7, 3-5-7, 4-5-7, 4-5-7, 5-7-8, 5-7-8) for 6 months to get good technique, spend 5 minuites on each shape, doing legato and being as precise as possible at 60bpm (1 note per click) do this speed for a week, then move up 10-30 bpm etc etc every few weeks. Shake your left hand when you feel latic acid, this is criticial. After 2 weeks of legato try the same thing for sweeping arpegios and other modes.

this should give you solid tecnhique and eventually speed to play some shred stuff well and clean.

*dreams crushed..*