Hey I was wondering if anyone has any expierence playing or at least knowing what these two amps sound like. I was intrigued because I'm looking to switch from my Line 6 Flextone III to an all tube amp and these were in my price range

Marshall Haze 40
http://www.samash.com/p/Haze%2040%20Guitar%20Combo%20Amp_-49954913

Marshall Class 5 Combo
http://www.samash.com/p/Class%205%20Guitar%20Combo%20Amp_-49954137
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Because when I was younger I would wrap dollar bills around my wang while masturbating to get that extra dirty feeling.

Even though I quit doing it, it still turns me on when I see money.

Http://magnumman.dmusic.com
i haven`t played the class 5, but what i experienced from the haze 40 wasn`t that great. the clean is nice but the distortion is pretty iffy.
I've heard nothing but bad news from the Haze series, I liked the 5 though!
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
The Haze is alright for classic and hard rock, but could probably use a new speaker and an OD pedal in front.

The Class 5 is a good amp for blues and lower gain styles but has no master volume, meaning it needs to get loud to get any gain out of it. It's also probably not loud enough for band practices.

What styles of music do you play and what's your budget, OP? Neither of them is really an 'upgrade' from the Flextone, in my opinion.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
I play mostly blues and classic rock, Eric Clapton, Stevie Ray, Joe Bonamassa, Cream, the heavier stuff I dabble into is AC/DC, Led Zep, a little Sabbath, and then the heaviest I get would be RHCP blood sugar sex magik stuff and the absolut heaviest I get is Rage Against the Machine level gain.

I tend to stick mostly to the blues and classic rock stuff though and I'm really looking for an amp that gives me the warm gritty tone. Im looking to spend no more then 800
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Because when I was younger I would wrap dollar bills around my wang while masturbating to get that extra dirty feeling.

Well I picked up the Class 5 today and put a blues driver in front of it. the thing screams, i love it
Quote by Jack Off Jill

The class 5 is a really nice amp, for the more heavier stuff you play, you should buy a boost or OD.
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
I would second the JCA20, or the JCA50 or 100.

A used JCM 800 would definitely do what you want, though, but don't expect to get spanky cleans out of one.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
I want to say the Class 5 is about $400 right? For that you could get a Classic 30 used. I've even seen the Classic 50 and 100 heads go for a little higher. IMO the Classic 30 is one of the most versatile amps I've played in that price range, albeit I don't use the amps distortion, but that's because I don't have an OD to properly use it. The cleans are awesome, and it could easily pull off the bands you listed.

It's a very common amp for people to recommend but I think people tend to shy away from it because of all the tube rattle talk. I bought a Tom's tube tamer for $20 and it solved all those problems, a really great amp.
Why on earth did you buy a teeny 5 watt amp for $400 when for a little more you could've just as easily bought a JCM800 or 900?
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
I didn't realize it was the OP that said he bought the Class 5 I thought OP was still hunting.

OP, I think you could have gotten a much better deal on a different amp. $400 or a little more will get you some really nice used amps. I think $400 for a 5W amp is something that should come later when you have extra dough to spend and maybe just want something portable or just for the bedroom. As your only amp though, you'd have to be sure you could get mic'ed at gigs and such.
Quote by forsaknazrael
^Or at least the Tweaker. That's like 450 for the head, right? Pop in some EL34s, and you've got a single channel 50 watt Marshall-voiced monster.

i find it funny how whenever a "what amp should i get?" thread comees up, everyone jumps on the tweaker. When i first got my Rebel, i was suggesting it in every thread too, until someone got pissed off that was all i was suggesting. ever.

i just find it funnyhow i leave for a month, come back, and now everyone seems to have a hard on for Egnater

not knocking the amp or anything, just an observation.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
I would go with the Traynor mentioned earlier or JCM 800, course you'll have some limitations with the pretty iffy cleans and the almost necessary cranking.
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
The Rebel 20 is a great amp. my friend bought one and I love the tone and versatility. But I'm too cheap to buy one and will settle for a Tweaker.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Putting an OD in front of a "Marshall toned" amp when you're looking for the Marshall sound seems a bit silly, doesn't it?

not at all, everyone uses pedals

Marshall Tube Amp + Tubescreamer = Sex
Quote by forsaknazrael

not necessarily. A lot of the best ones sound great without any pedals.

Besides, it sounds like because the Class 5 only gets OD at high volumes, he's using the OD pedal to get distortion. And if he was looking for THE Marshall sound, then he's going about the wrong way.

Im not worried about having to turn it up to overdrive the tubes, but when the sound is fully saturated the OD is nice to boost it into higher gain territory than what it does by itself

Edit: Ive played classic 30's and traynors out the ass at the store in the past and recently and I never liked the tone thats why I went with the Marshall, the fact the it's only 5 watts doesn't bother me because it's still easily heard over drums and sounds really nice
Quote by Jack Off Jill

Last edited by GuitarJunkie at Aug 3, 2010,